Anyone using a GTX 1080 with VR?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ijac, Jul 3, 2023.

1. ijac

ijac Member

Are you using a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 with VR? Tell me about it. What has your experience been like? Thanks

btw ... I know you think I should upgrade to a different card. But that's not what I'm asking ;)

2. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a 3070 and a Quest 2 and it looks pretty bad(a lot of jaggies and not very high resolution) when trying to get it to 90fps, no chance a 1080 will be able to run the game in VR in an acceptable state.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I’ve tried vr using my quest 2 and a RTX 3070Ti, but the resolution looked bad and it was pixelated

4. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a RTX 2070, which in some situations is around the same performance as a GTX 1080. I've been using it with a Pimax 5k+ since 2019. 100% resolution in Small FOV is possible, but with Normal FOV I get best results if I reduce resolution to 0.75 (OpenXR does give some extra performance gains, but is too buggy with my Pimax to be worth it IMO)

I can imagine that any common VR headset from 2019 and earlier should work well with a GTX 1080 in AMS2, for example a Valve Index. But I don't have any experience with such a setup, it's just me making guesses based on extrapolation from my current position.

What VR headset to you have / are you considering?

5. Luismuku

Luismuku Member

I've had Rift S and gtx 1080 and I get very nice results in ams2. If you have a vr headset which have better resolution... You will need to upgrade. This combination was great for me, but after try it I get convinced about buying a better headset (reverb g2) and a better gpu (3080). This is totally great, but even with this combination I would be better with another gpu like 4080 or 4090... And this will happen again and again.

Conclusion: Rift S and 1080 - Ok
    Better VR headset and 1080 - Possible, but not very enjoyable

6. ijac

ijac Member

Thanks for the info. I don't have a headset yet. About 5 years ago I tried Project Cars 2 with a Rift and a GTX 1080. It ran pretty well. Since AMS2 uses the same engine and isn't as resource intensive as other racing games, I wondered how a GTX 1080 would hold up. Sounds like a headset better than a Rift S might not work so well.

7. justposted

justposted Member AMS2 Club Member

I think that's about right. A 1080 with a Rift S isn't perfect, but it's a really nice VR experience. Of course a 4090 with an Aero would be loads better, but 1080 + Rift S is really fun. Whether it's preferable to a crisp monitor is up to you - I prefer VR, with its limitations, personally.

8. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

FWIW, I've got a GTX 1070 Ti, which I think is slightly worse than a 1080, and I can run AMS2 on a Quest 2 and it's ok-ish, but not sure I'd recommend it. It works, and it is a cool experience if you're not used to anything better - but the resolution/sharpness/framerate etc isn't great and I'm not inclined to bother with it very much.