Tyres Tyres Tyres

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Coanda, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Wincup31

Wincup31 New Member

Hello Reiza, are tire punctures planned in the near future?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Tire damage features are planned, to what extend and what timeframe there can't be made any estimate yet, but punctures don't seem the most unlikely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Are the additional things for tyres planned? For example:
    -Additional compounds like a dedicated qualifying tyre which many series in the early 2000s or 90s had?
    -Reflecting different tyre manufacturers tyre performance in a class, for example GT1 where the Michelin on the Porsche had a sooner falloff than the Merc Bridgestones, which also had a much better Qualifying tyre or the late 90s F1, where Bridgestone was also superior to the Goodyears?
    -Linked to that: Option to select tyre manufacturers for cars that had different ones like the Porsche GT1 or 962 or some of the generic Formula classes?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think while great ideas, it's a bit much, they should first get it right for the current tires, for both the player and AI.

5. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Yes for sure, besides the qualifying compound these features are probably for the more distant future.

6. herakles

herakles Member

Hi everyone!

Ever since the new physics update, I can observe tyre wear inceasing dramatically once I hit flat spots on the tyres. I also recognize rattling in my wheel, but that's right what flat spots should result in, so that's really awesome to feel.

I got two questions:

a) is the dramatic increase of tyre wear while having a wheel standing still on the brakes ocrrect? It this, what Reiza intends it to be? (You can even see it falling down in the "tyre fitness graphics view" while driving - try and observe! It's fun!)
    b) will my tyres ever explode if I don't get to the pits at any time (no matter what happened to my tyres before)? Will worn tyres ever explode, is this a concept in AMS2?

Thanks! Oh, by the way: I love this game!
    Herakles

7. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Don’t believe punctures are currently simulated

8. CrimsonEminence

The increased wear with flatspots is intended - your HUD basically gives you an average of tire wear (otherwise the wear indication due to flatspot must "flicker", which is obviously not very elegant).

When you heavily flatspot softer tires in particular you will scrape off a lot of tread at this location on the tire (which also increases likelyhood of locking up at the same place again because you literally braked this element of the tire "square".) The FFB rattle comes from the actual difference in tread thickness, adding actual variance in diameter of the tire, which makes it vibrate when flatspotted.

Punctures due to flatspots are indeed possible but currently a rare occasion due to the feature not being fleshed out in any way yet.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. herakles

herakles Member

Thank you so much! That was very, very informative indeed! I did not expect the physics model to be that accurate. Awesome!

But still - could anybody tell me, if the concept of tires exploding at a certain point is availabe in this game? What will happen, if one drives a set of tires endlessly?

Apart from that: What does the HUD tell me at all? If it is an indicator of average tire wear, what does it tell me, if the tyre if fully black?

Thanks,
    Herakles

10. CrimsonEminence

It basically displays the "usable" tread left on the tire in average. When the bar is fully black, the layers that adhere to the road surface are no longer there (it's effectively still tread left but no parts of it that would reasonably stick and deform for sufficient grip anymore).

A tire can go flat when it's completely worn or flatspotted but like mentioned - this is a very rare occasion because the tire damage features aren't yet tuned in any effective way (this is planned for the future though.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Just so I understand correctly, if I flatspot a tire somewhere, it doesn't show me the lowest point of tread but the average around the whole tire?

12. CrimsonEminence

Pretty much "average wear/tread left" yeah (it's a bit more abstract than that actually but it's the best explanation i want to give due to it making sense from a usability standpoint) - a big flatspot will obviously ruin tire health a lot why it also somewhat shows a representative picture of what the wear of the tire is because grip by a proper flatspotted tire logically degrades quite substantially.