Group C cars grip under acceleration

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Bloodhound, Jul 29, 2023.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound New Member

This was discussed a bit in another thread which unfortunately was locked, so i am starting a new discussion with some in-game videos and hopefully we can keep it civil.

I drive Group C cars exclusively and i thought they were very good in 1.4.8, but since i updated to 1.5.0.1 (and now 1.5.0.2) they seem to have way too much grip under acceleration. On corner exits it feels like you can abuse the throttle and you still don't lose control, so it's not something i would expect from 700-800HP cars.

Here are 2 videos, track condition is green, tires are soft but still quite cold. Weather is set to medium cloud, time is 14:00. All driving aids are disabled in game options.
    I am running very slowly in 1st gear at idle RPM and then i suddenly hammer down the throttle. As you can see, the revs increase progressively until the engine hits the rev limiter, there's no wheelspin and the car just goes in a straight line without going sideways at all and doesn't need steering corrections to keep it under control.

The videos below are unlisted, so only people that have the link (meaning those reading this thread) can see them. That's because i don't want to influence anyone about trying AMS2 or continuing with it, i just want them to serve as proof for the issue discussed here.
    Please let me know if you can't see them.

Video of the Mercedes Sauber C9 (850HP):

Video of the Porsche 962 (710HP):

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know if that proves anything. From my admittedly limited testing in Group C recently I can't say you can just floor it coming out of the corners, neither with the Corvette nor with the turbocharged cars.

A good opportunity to spend a bit more time with one of my favourite classes in AMS2 ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

@Bloodhound I have no shares in this because I dont fancy the group C cars.
    Hehe watching them in RL is a completely other matter.
    But your first video does not show anything because you reach the limiter to soon.
    And the 2nd video have something of the same eventhough it sounds like your critique could be correct.
    No spinning in these 2 videos.

ByTheWay: I dont know if this has something related to my main critique of the 1.5 update that everything (car reactions/respondings) are smoothed out way too much.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound New Member

Well if there's no wheelspin in 1st gear you can imagine what happens in 2nd gear. The result is a completely neutered car that is very difficult to lose control of (which is the complete opposite of what Group C care are in reality). I bet i can can control the throttle very easily with keyboard and not bother with pedals.
    Forgive me if i sound too harsh, but i wouldn't be so passionate about this if AMS2 didn't have the potential to be brilliant.
    In 1.4.8 if i pressed the throttle too hard, the rear stepped out, but i could still control it with opposite steering which was great. In 1.5 this doesn't happen any more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Spinning up the rears in the C9 is not a problem for me. From both a stand still and from a slow roll like you demonstrated. I tested at long beach in similar conditions to the ones you mention.

Also in 2nd I generally short shift to avoid spinning.

And with hands off the wheel the rear moves under acceleration. Your videos behave as though you have global TC enabled.

I imagine my results with the Porsche would be the same. Overall I think they could be a little wilder but for me they behave differently than you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Just tested on the Nordschleife. There is so much wheel spin in 2nd gear that the Merc is going sideways every single time.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. BrunoB

I agree fully with your 1st part here - because when I enjoyed myself in the game before 1.5 I also did believe that AMS2 could be brilliant.
    But allready when I had tested the two 1.5 "pre" updated cars (if I remember right: F-UltiG2 + F-Junior) then I posted several times that those cars was too damped and smoothed out.:(

Your 2nd part above I can only comment and agree on how the group C cars felt before the 1.5 update.
    Brutal and and stepping out if you didnt watch yourself.
    I havent checked out the C9 after the 1.5 bummer (partly a humorish joke ;)).

8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound New Member

I don't have TC enabled, here's a picture of my settings. I just don't know why the Group C cars act so different for me. I will try to reinstall AMS2 and see if anything changes.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Generally you want driving assists set to authentic but that's beside the point.

I tried the 962 the rear does spin up but it's not as noticeable as the C9 overall. But yeah I don't think there's anything fundamentally broken about them. They were a little more murderous previously, but that's going back a good few patches.

Maybe try just renaming your documents folder first, rather than nuking the whole app.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BrunoB

Just took the Sauber C9 for a ride on the SPA Historic with chicane in TT mode.
    TT mode because as I have commented before this is the only way you can reveal how much slower the 1.5 cars have been.
    I will not answer how much more slow and diffusely and damped I feel the cars reaction is now.:rolleyes:
    Conserning the possibility to spin the (rear) wheels then yes its close to impossible to do.
    But admitted there is a short RPM band where it is close to possible :whistle:

But the strange thing is that even without the former wheel spin then the car does wander all over the track if you dont constantly make corrections :rolleyes:
    You dont see this in RL videos driving on a straight.

As with the other cars I have tested I took the C9 out on SPA Historic.
    As can be seen the car with my best setup is 11 sec slower than my PB on this track.
    And eventhough this car wasnt my favorite before then now *****(deleted by censor) :p

C9-SPA-Hist-wChicane.png assists.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Can’t the default setups also be too safe?

12. BrunoB

Come on my good man.
    I was absolutely not using anything like the default thingy.
    As can be seen in my post above I was using "my best setup" - and that is a complete other pudding.:p

13. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I’m talking about the original poster

• Like Like x 1
  14. BrunoB

Sorry :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound New Member

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this. You can lose control if you want, but you really have to abuse the throttle while turning. These cars are not meant to be driven this way.

I tried deleting the Documents folder and re-do the settings but it didn't change anything for me.

I am using the default setup, but as you can see in the videos, the 1st gear is very short anyway. If i use a longer gear, it will be even harder to get wheelspin under acceleration. Playing with other setup options won't change too much the grip under acceleration in a straight line.

16. ricxx

Are you perhaps driving with heavy rubber track preset? If the track is heavily rubbered in you basically have quali conditions. That's one thing that was brought up in another thread. If you drive in optimum condtions you get maximum grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bloodhound

Bloodhound New Member

No, as i mentioned in my first post the track condition was green and tires are quite cold.

18. ricxx

I just did a few laps in the Porsche and the Corvette, medium rubber and optimum conditions and it is true, you had to be more careful with throttle in previous builds. I also think that cars got a bit slower. I was 4-5 seconds off my time in TT, so not sure what's going on.

It's probably also the result of tyres now behaving properly and more consistent.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

This is very very concerning...

I'm unable to get it to load atm on my PC, but I was having a lot of trouble dialling out longitudinal grip on the Nissan tyres before 1.5... So much so that I was going to scrap the tyre set and just use the other tyres from Group C if they continued to show that trait in 1.5...

For reference the Sauber and Porsche share a set of tyres whilst the Nissan and Vette have their own tyres each...

Reading a lot of these "it's too easy now" comments makes me sad because where AMS2 was between 1.4-1.48 made me not drive anything else because it had that much potential to be great... The challenge of thinking with my feet was easy enough but not too hard for me to enjoy...

I hope it's something as simple as some people have TC and ABS forced on because Reiza tried to fix the online bug where TC and ABS were forced off... The Madness engine does some weird things... But people shouldn't find the C9 this easy to drive...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Was curious so tried out the Sauber C9 at the old Hockenheim (stock LD setup), first with 85% boost and then lowered it to 70% which is an important factor when it comes to wheelspin lol. The car was still lively and in 1st and 2nd it would step out on you and give you a slight kick in the butt, albeit very controllable like the OP says.

Probably the 1.5 tyres are more grippy overall and this also affected the Grp C's of course.

Edit; just tried the Formula V10's (gen 2) low downforce and TC set to a minimum and also there lot's of grip and barely any wheelspin when exiting corners. It felt more pronounced than in the Grp C's

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1