Suggestion: VR vs Monitor fastest drivers...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Aug 1, 2023.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In the time trials, you already show a wheel or joystick or default vs modified setup icons which are great ideas to show how the time trial was made. Why not adding a VR google or Monitor icon to show which device was used to setup the world records?? With that kind of info, we might see a pattern emerge...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

What pattern do you think that would be?

3. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If using VR or using monitors tend to create faster times...

4. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My impressions:
    For kart racing, VR is much faster, especially with a wide FOV headset, due to better situational awareness and also it being easier to look ahead to the apex/exit in tight corners. The same might go for rallycross as well, and also rally stages, since at least I when racing in VR tend to brake by feel instead of based on memorized braking points. Time Trial is more about memorization since the conditions are the same on every lap, so monitor racers might do equally well there if not better due to less fatigue.

There have been several "N of 1" tests on this subject, and most of them testing in a Time Trial-like scenario, i.e. comparing ideal lap times instead of testing in a racing scenario. Some examples:

(Aside 1: I think load cell vs. no load cell has much greater impact than VR/non-VR)
    (Aside 2: Many similar arguments can be made about racing with/without a motion rig...)

• Like Like x 1