Automobilista 2 Wet Line: Questions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Inkta, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello,

Writing this to get some clarifications/opinions on the wet line at the moment, I've been testing the wet line at Spa 2022 with the Porsche 911 Cup car 4.0. So far what I've noticed is that if I load a session with Heavy rubber and Rain, very quickly the traditional racing line becomes Slippery, visually I'm not sure I can see anything that distinguishes the rubbered line from the not rubbered line but I can feel something on the Force feedback, a sensation that the wheel becomes light once you run over the line.

I was checking this video to get some more info on how to drive spa with a 911 cup car and so far the lines he takes on the video seem pretty similar to the ones I can take, and what I can notice is that breaking off the line compared to braking on the line seems to be quite advantageous.

However I'm still not entirely sure that there's much difference in laptimes between the traditional racing line and the wet line. Could we get some more explanation on how the wet line is implemented at the moment?

Thanks!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The live track system lays down rubber on a line either by preset or dynamically when/where cars drive over the track -> this rubber line will become slippy with wetness saturation increasingly.

The feature is implemented with quite conservative values currently to at least have it going already and to field test the overall viability and quality.

So far it all looks like a bump in grip loss will be featured in a future update - until then staying on the rubbered line will not be too severe for now, it's a proof of concept that the feature is working as intended.

Good to read that it's noticeable - it's still quite subtle.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Inkta

Great to hear! Like I've mentioned, the most noticible thing for me is in the braking, it feels like I can get a couple of Meters advantage by breaking off line. Looking forward to the future update!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Eau rouge is going to be so spooky in the rain :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Didn’t you see what nearly happened to Verstappen during the Belgian GP? If that happens, then I will be happy

6. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

After some time in the wet will the rubber wash away and then the racing line become the same grip level as the rest of the track? I think this is what happens in reality as well.

7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Rubber is washed away with rain aswell after a while, yes. (Which obviously means that there is no rubber line anymore then)

• Informative Informative x 9
  8. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Excellent, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

The fact he didnt spin means his car is basically simcade :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

First wet race in the karts

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Inkta

Hello, reopening this conversation to ask once again the experiences everyone is having on the wet with a rubbered track.

I usually test this by using the heavy rubber preset on storm conditions, tried it at a couple of tracks already and I can say there are some things very noticiable.

The one thing I've definitely noticed is that braking outside the line is important, seems like being in the middle of the track while breaking and at the last second crossing onto the racing line is the way to go (The video in the first post explains this pretty well). The car stops more easily and you're able to do the corner faster. Monza T1, Spielberg T1 are good examples, try the same car, one time breaking like you would do in the dry and another time breaking on the non-rubbered part of the track, the difference in my case is about 0.3 seconds just in the first chicane at Monza, I've tried it multiple times and I think I can say it's not placebo..

The one thing I don't see however is an advantage in running outside the racing line in the corners, for example at parabolica in Monza, I don't see any advantage running very high to avoid the rubber, maybe the preset doesn't have enough rubber there, I don't know, but this seems to be a thing in every combination I've tried, would really apreciate people giving your experiences to see how this feature has been implemented.

12. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

I seemed to be getting a good exit by taking a different line through turn 7 and 8 at Red Bull Ring in GT3