VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is a much better headset than the quest 2 in pretty much every respect. My only issue has been compression in scenes with a lot of high frequency detail/foliage. Which can be common in sims but, VD's latest updates have pretty much resolved that now.

Honestly, the best headset I've owned so far. Not perfect by any means but really impressive for the price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Kute

Kute Member

I'm not hating but I'm pretty curious how you're getting so much performance? I have a quest 2, and the slider is set to the max res(90 hz though, too hard filling out 120 and it would always drop to 60), but I have to run pixel density at 1.0

7800x3d
    6k/30cl ram

everything is set to go as hard as possible, the GPU is overclocked and power set to 125%, the cpu never leaves max boost. IDK

I didn't know the pico 4 existed though, and I am very intrigued. I'll wait until the quest 3 is released before making a decision, but I definitely want one.

3. justposted

justposted Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice set up! That would be a solid improvement from my 3080/5800X3D, but I certainly can't complain as I'm pretty pleased with what I've got now.

The main difference is probably the FPS expectation. I'm quite happy at 45, as I don't seem to suffer from motion sickness under any circumstances. I can even drive at 30FPS, but that really is too jerky and starts to affect my driving.

With my settings I seem to see frame times of about 15-20ms, which would be around 50-60FPS. Also I quoted 1.5 pixel density but actually usually run at 1.2 in order to keep the frames comfortably above 45. That means the extra 50% your 4080 gives you is not enough to keep my settings and get double the frame rate.

I prioritise sharpness over everything. Aliasing ruins the experience for me, hence being so pleased with the Pico's extra resolution.

I think you are wasting that 4080 if you don't try the Pico. If the ebay gods shine on you, it is almost a cost free exchange. And the benefits of the Quest 3, which will be a lot more expensive, don't include better resolution. I know how it is though. You've got your Quest stuff, like content and head straps and the like, so it's hard to let all that go.

4. Kute

Kute Member

Ahhh. You know prior to the 7800x3d I was sitting at 60 fps and it was fine. And during testing settings, if I hovered at 45, it was fine too. I just didn't like the look of seeing 45 fps. But I honestly think a stable 45 is much better than bouncing around from say 90-120. IDK what it is, but in VR the only thing that matters is the consistency.

And the more I think about it, everyone has such different settings in their NVidia container that the same setup in-game with the same hardware can vary wildly

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. justposted

justposted Member AMS2 Club Member

What's the NVIDIA container? You mean The NVIDIA control panel? I don't touch that.

Interesting point about your FPS preferences though. You've been scuppered by FPS snobbery! Embrace the low numbers.

I forgot to add that I run the FOV tangent multiplier at 0.8;0.8 which also gives a fair bit of extra performance.

6. RJVan

RJVan New Member AMS2 Club Member

I posted this in the BETA forum, but I guess I should have posted it here:

Reflections in VR are broken.

This has been the case since the beginning, but I tried to ignore it. It's gotten to the point where I wish we could just turn reflections off entirely.

If you look at the 2 screen shots, the 2d reflections on the right wheel arch look fine. You can see the car passing on the left and the guy in the orange behind it.

In the VR screen shot you can see the left side mirror is reflecting in the right side wheel arch (Both Circled in blue). It's also reflecting the reflective part of the mirror. How is that possible? lol

I know this isn't going to be a priority, but hopefully someone can look into this. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's very distracting. I think it's because the right and left eyes are reflecting differently and images aren't lining up. Hard to explain.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You should post it in: Bug Reports - Automobilista 2 (Read the Opening Post)

To my knowledge this thread is only for discussions and feedback not for bug reports. But I'm not 100% sure about it, but if you want to make sure that your report is seen than it's the best to report it there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kute

Kute Member

Hmm, where are these settings? I'm always interested in trying new settings - not so much for AMS2, which I'm happy with, but my side quest of making ACC look good.

9. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

You can change those things in the Oculus debug tool. Located in your oculus install folder somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TotallyTroll

TotallyTroll New Member

Quite some time passed since last mention of it in this thread, so I'll ask:
    Any news on VR Projection Mode? Do Pimax users still forced to use Parallel Projections? No chance to change VR Projection Mode somewhere in an ini file, like it's done in rFactor2?

11. g.copettini

g.copettini New Member

I hope so...

12. ScanX

ScanX New Member

Please, could you make something to not forces usage of Oculus mode when an Oculus device is detected, and allow the use of OpenComposite/OpenXR Toolkit ?
    The goal is to use OpenXR Toolkit instead of Oculus or SteamVR to improve performance with Fixed (or dynamic if you have an eye tracking heaset) foveated rendering and some other config...

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

To clarify, using OpenComposite doesn't bypass Oculus software (it just interacts with it using the OpenXR interface rather than ovr), so you're not missing out on any performance improvements in that respect. You are, however, missing out on the ability to use OpenXR toolkit for foveated rendering and/or FSR/NIS upscaling etc.

14. ScanX

ScanX New Member

Yes, I know, I have tried with OpenComposite for testing purpose but my problem is the use of OpenXR Toolkit :)

15. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

No, still not possible in AMS2 on Oculus devices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

the POWER of VR

Racing around with a new set of race suits and gloves. I noticed the Ferrari logo on the glove, and I'm all like "oooh! nice detail". So I let go of the steering wheel, raise and turn my hand to get a better look. But my hand doesn't move and I'm all like, "wait, wtf??" Took me half a beat to remember, "oh yeah, I'm in VR hahahaha"

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

i even go down to 0.8 / 0.3 when using helmet view. I only have a 4070 and can set SS to 2.0 with 15-25% headroom. Everything is super clean. As far as I know, this asynchronous fov only works with Oculus glasses.

18. JavierZumaeta

Hi guys. My Oculus Rift CV1 died. I hate Zuckerberg so I'm changing headsets - no way am I sticking with Facebook/Meta. I'm going with the HP Reverb G2. I have a few worries about how the transition will work.

I've been launching AMS2 (and pCARS2) in VR through it's own shortcut. steam://launch/1066890/othervr Does HP Reverb work directly with Steam VR? Is this still necessary? Or do I need to create another shortcut? Will this shortcut still work?

With Oculus, there was an .xml file that you could use to sharpen up the image - a tool SMS came up with back in the day and AMS2 also uses. graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml Do non-Oculus VR headsets also use this? Or it's own .xml file?

Thanks guys.

19. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You use SteamVR with the Reverb G2. In fact, with your oculus, you weren't using SteamVR; you were going straight to the Oculus runtime.

There is a corresponding xml file called graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml. OpenVR is the name of SteamVR's API.

Moving to the G2, you'll be able to bypass SteamVR and get some performance gains. Have a read of this - it'll also explain a little more about how SteamVR, WMR and the G2 interact.

OpenComposite

This is also a good read:
    An Overview of VR Software Components

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. JavierZumaeta

this is so interesting, thank you! On Reddit I posed the question, the guy said he said he uses OpenXR. Is that what OpenComposite is? Is OpenVR, OpenXR, and OpenComposite all the same thing? Is that downloaded separately?

"There is a corresponding xml file called graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml. OpenVR is the name of SteamVR's API." If I bypass SteamVR, does the graphicsconfigopenvrdx11 file still do anything?