Watkins Glen turn 1 slideshow

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 3dquick, Aug 16, 2023.

1. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

This is a longstanding and annoying issue for me. On any of the Glen layouts, I get a massive slowdown in turn 1. It´s not backed by any FPS reduction when using the Steam counter. It happens even in single player with no other cars on track.

As I am using a gaming PC with an i7 8750H, I tried undervolting and underclocking, switching off boost to see if it was due to overheating, as it is summer, but I am at less than 85ºc using throttlestop to measure. I even used the Nvidia FPS limiter set to 72 FPS but there is still a slowdown then massive acceleration in this corner. On the full circuit it also happens in the two turns after the chute / chicane.

Checked on the forum and it doesn´t seem to have been discussed. It is it exclusive to me or do other people get this too? It can happen on a few other tracks but it´s not really the FPS stutter we had a few builds ago. In Raceroom it´s the opposite, this track is really smooth, unlike Spa, for instance

2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I have no obvious solution.
    But I would try to lower some of the graphic settings one by one to see if the issues was lowered.
    Because if not then its probably some issue on your pc system.
    But if the issue is minimised when you lower the graphics then it could just be one of the settings your system because of some hickup(?) cannot satisfy.
    Not much help I admit;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

I forgot to mention I did a validation then a totally clean install, deleting the docs file too. The first few times the slideshow was gone but then it came back. That´s why I suspected the CPU temp as logically it would take a while to heat up.

I actually reduced shadows, reflecions, track detail and environment map plus a few other setting like grass and particles to no avail. I guess I could cap FPS until there is no difference but then the whole game will look very slow. VSYNC on or off makes no difference, obviously less so with the FPS cap.

4. BrunoB

Just an idea.
    On many tracks I have also stuttering and almost slideshow-ish the first 2-3 sec in TT.
    Steams fps counter does show normal 60.:confused:
    But the stuttering stops normally after max 4-6 secs.
    Sloppy programming again me think :whistle:

5. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

It´s not the same effect as the micro stuttering where the game freezes several times in succession. Here it´s smooth but like a slow mo replay then suddenly the FPS picks up and it seems like fast forward.

In your case, if you are really running a 13 year old version of Windows, it might be worth going to at least W10 and see if that helps.

6. Everton Schroeder

Everton Schroeder New Member

I suffer from the same problem...
    using Windows 11, notebook with Core i5-11400H processor, GPU GTX 1650.
    Sometimes this problem occours two or three times in a single lap.

7. BrunoB

Im not advicing you what Windows version to run - right?
    And I dont consider the mentioned microstuttering a problem - and havent asked for advices.:p

8. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

Is there any kind of pattern e.g. the same corners on the same tracks, like my case?

If you cap FPS low enough using Nvidia control panel, does that help?

9. Everton Schroeder

Everton Schroeder New Member

no, it happens randomly...
    but I believe it's due to high temperature of GPU

10. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

It might be the CPU overheating as Intel multi cores are notorious for that and yours has a lot of cores. If you want to install throttlestop to monitor temps and undervolt/underclock it could help reduce temps. It will also tell you the GPU temp.

In my case I combined Throttlestop with locking FPS at around 70 and things are better but not perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

I haven´t done a back to back test with W7 and W10 to be able to say which if any is "better" on my system. Assuming you have tried both and found W7 worked better?