Tire grip in rain (open debate)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by _Was, Aug 23, 2023.

1. _Was

_Was Member

Hello everyone!
    Many may disagree, others may agree, but the point is that I handle the majority of the Formula cars, and the grip of the rain tires, in rainy-stormy conditions, doesn't feel very realistic. I understand that I am a mediocre driver, but I believe the tires have very, very little grip, not only in the Formula cars but also in the majority of other cars. I have never had the opportunity to drive in the rain, but I am very sure that it doesn't feel as AMS2 portrays it. The difference between driving in dry and wet conditions is immense. From what I've read from professional drivers, rain tires actually have quite a bit of grip, which I don't feel the same way in AMS2.
    What do the rest of you think?
    I love the game and all the effort the developers put into it is incredible! But I believe what we're aiming for is continuous improvement. Nowadays, you can't race in the rain as you should be able to.
    greetings

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

IMO you should post your lap times so you can compare your times and see if you’re slower and by how much. The slower you go, the more grip you think the car has. You need to be on or over the limit to know what you’re stating in the OP

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The AI wet pace consistency between cars and tracks has improved a lot from how it was a year ago. There's still some inconsistencies, but that's why you can change the AI strength race to race in championships, not ideal, but better than nothing until they all get fine tuned.

I actually think the pace difference is too low between a dry and soaked track for both the AI and player on most cars. The delta right now is about 10-15 seconds slower, while in real life I remember cars being 20+ seconds slower when it got wet. It's not the end of the world but sometimes I do feel I am too quick on a fully wet track.

4. _Was

_Was Member

F1 classic Gen 4 model 1
    Montreal historic
    Default setup
    Dry :1:19:700
    Fully Wet: 1:40:100
    I'm probably very bad, and with Logitech pedals, it's even harder, but I find it very difficult to drive the car. I lose grip right away.

5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

If you don’t have grip in that car, but state that you’ve got a lot of grip in formula cars, then why don’t you post a time you did in a car with a lot of grip in the wet?

6. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'll give my two cents on the topic.

First, nobody said a F1 car in the pouring rain would be easy, I had far easier experiences with an F3 or GT cars, so maybe give those a try and then see how you feel.

Tried the combination you suggested, montreal historic, storm settings, track soaked and current date:

Managed to do a 1:36:5, with a little practise I believe you can go down to a 35 but I'll leave it there, default setup for the wet I don't think is the best option, the lack of wet setups in AMS2 is noticiable, and combined with a car with 750+hp it makes for some pretty difficult driving conditions. What I did was soften the suspensions, rise the rear to avoid bottoming, and increased the downforce, all with an attempt to make the car more responsive on slow corners and planted on fast corners, biggest difficulties are the lack of front grip on 1rs and 2nd gear corners, but applying the power I don't think it feels too unrealistic.

I wouldn't look at the AI for a good indication on how fast you should be going on the wet, right now they're all over the place in terms of speed.

Is the wet driving perfect? No? Yes?, hell who knows, I haven't driven a F1 car in the wet in real life, but considering that in real life canada 2022, lap times where 1.14 in the dry and 1.32 in the wet I don't think is too unrealistic, maybe f1 drivers are just very good..

7. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

8. _Was

_Was Member

Of course, but to achieve that time you had to tweak the setup. If you're in a race where it starts dry and then becomes very wet, you won't have that possibility. I might be terrible at it! And I could be wrong – it's very difficult since no simulator can truly replicate rain and aquaplaning (let's see how iRacing manages it xD), but let's consider a more recent example. Watch Fernando Alonso's video at Suzuka and pay attention to the throttle telemetry, how he presses it, and at times, aggressively. He doesn't lose control, and only occasionally makes corrections. I'm quite sure you can't do that in AMS2; you lose grip immediately.
    Fernando Alonso Cockpit Camera (2022 Japanese Grand Prix) - YouTube

I'll clarify again, they are professional drivers, and I'm terrible, but I'm sure they wouldn't be able to handle it in the sim.:p

9. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah but at the same time, that video with Fernando he's driving with intermediate tyre's in a wet Suzuka, If you're using the same track conditions as I was, we're driving in a soaked track, where I'm having issues putting the power down on full wet tyres. Again maybe the problem is that the track gets too wet?

For example I took the F ultimate g2 for a Spin in the modern Canada track, also fully soaked and I was managing 1.24s without touching the setup, only adjusting break bias. And that for example I think is way too fast.

Keep in mind that wet weather is very much a Work in progress right now, I asked some questions a month ago about the wet weather line and they told me it's still not finished.

Automobilista 2 Wet Line: Questions

I would be patient, wet behaviour is very much a work in progress.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mazdaspeed

Decided to do the same test with the McLaren MP 4/6 and managed a 1:35 flat with the default setup and 45L of fuel on a soaked track, the car was very challenging to drive as you said, but that's how it should be, in fact I think it was too fast for a soaked track as the AI did a 1:34.3 at 100%. They did a 1:20 on the dry, I did a 1:18.3 on the dry, so the AI got some 3 seconds on me from dry to wet and only lost 14 seconds from dry to fully soaked.

Like I wrote before, I think the delta is too low between a dry and soaked track, the car feel and challenge is excellent, specially on acceleration and turning, but I think the braking zones should be longer and the acceleration a tad slower. In the video posted by SaxOhare the track was wet but not soaked, a soaked track would be something like Fuji 2007 and both myself and the AI managed a faster time on a practice session.

• Like Like x 1
  11. _Was

_Was Member

Nice Time, i think you guys are to good, i need more practice and may be the problem is my setup with logitech pedals is hard
    What is your setup?

12. Mazdaspeed

Not really, I am not a granny but nowhere near the very fast ones. Just keep practicing, I have the Clubsport V3 and a Moza R5, while a good setup definitely helps, nothing beats practice. Try to shortshift, brake earlier and take a wider corner entry to counter the understeer you get in the rain on corner entry. That helps me to drive consistently on the rain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Unless you've personally driven a historical F1 car in the rain under those conditions, I don't think anyone's opinion on this matter will be accurate. I've only driven production cars on the race track in the rain IRL as an amatuer. While not perfect, I think AMS2 does a decent job making the experience believeable with some of their lower powered production based cars. Even production cars can be tricky and notoriously difficult to race in the rain. You really have to be smooth and it's pretty easy to lose the rear under power, even with an "under powered" car depending on the situation. It can lead to some real white knuckle driving experiences. While terrifying, it's also some of the most fun I've had.

On the subject of iRacing getting the "rain" model correct. They can't even get the dry tire model correct after 15 years, I doubt they'll be able to get the rain tire model accurate. I personally won't be holding my breath.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. DaWorstPlaya

To further illustrated the point. This is FP3 in the wet @ Zandvoort this weekend in F1 cars. See how challenging the current gen F1 cars are to drive in the wet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Txerokk96

Txerokk96 New Member

Hi to everyone!! Just to give my opinion I think that the current wet tyres should have a little bit more grip than they have now, reading from people experiencies IRL on race tracks they concluded that they need a little more grip.

Its just my opinion and i dont saying I have the truth, for me this is the best simulator at the moment and I cant wait to see how the future looks.

16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes many should and will!

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. GoobMB

GoobMB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Absolutely agree with this. High aero cars on normal wet track (no Laguna muy Mojada madness) set up for rain (usual stuff with camber, suspension etc) are too slidy, in my opinion.
    And to add one extra thing: AI does not seem to be affected with aquaplaning on puddles, while player car physics is.

Please, does ME (AMS2) evaluate amount of water on the track (stalling/choking the floor or diffuser if the car is too low - properly low on dry)?

18. DaWorstPlaya

Any idea when the fix will be coming out?