Just had a 1:30 hour race multiclass race against the AI, and it just works

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by JavierZumaeta, Aug 4, 2023.

1. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

Thank you Reiza.
    I mean, that was just flawless (except for one thing - which I'll get to). I was in the GT1 top class, GT3 in lieu of proper 90s GT cars. The entire event. One take. All of it just worked. Real Weather - progressed naturally, real. Qualified in 3rd, battled for 1st among the top 4 the entire race. The whole race, chasing, being chased, defending, too advantage where I could, so did the AI - it was close. The field spread - exactly as you'd expect. Overtaking of the back markers and the other classes - just as you'd expect. Pit strategy - just like you'd expect. I double-stinted the first set, the AI did not. I had a 12 sec lead after the first pit stop. As the second stint wore on, wouldn't you know it, they overtook me. Both strategies had merit.

Never felt like the AI was following a script. Never felt like they had a different set of rules or physics they're governed by (they in fact do have their own physics - but it's disguised so, so well). Quali was super interesting too - it wasn't raining but the track was wet - so did 3 laps with wet tires, but very quickly the track dried, the track was ramping up. You had to hurry back and change the slicks, and it just got faster and faster. Just like in F1, tbh.

The only thing, using custom AI drivers (just the names, no attributes), one was a duplicate. Oh, JJ Lehto. Your clone, he didn't do so hot. Lapped by the end. Or maybe he's the real one and the clone was battling me for the lead? - EDIT - this was corrected - there was a typo in the custom AI file which caused this error. A new resource came out on Race Dept, and now the AIs don't have any duplicates.

And the GT3 field? Just the Thunderflash 12h of Spa GT3 cars - so chosen 'cuz they have 18 cars, so it was a good match for a 2nd class. The mods - they work. And the Panoz pCARS2 transplant also worked. Battled well in the mid-field.

Bravo. SMS's pCARS2's dreams achieved, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I'm doing a lot of multi class racing as well, 1 hour races in Spa with DPI, GTE, GT3 and GT4 or 1 hour races simulating the Imperio Endurance Brasil on several race tracks in Brasil with P1 Gen2, Open GT, GT3 and GT4. My experience is pretty much the same as yours, it is a lot of fun. I did realize that AI has different behavior on different tracks. As example, in Spa the AI completely ignores Blue Flags and the GT4 cars will fight for position when I try to overtake with the DPI. I did not experience that behavior, as example, in Curitiba or Interlagos where it was much easier to overtake slower class cars. Perhaps some race tracks still need some calibration for the AI. Either way, it is a lot of fun.... :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good to hear you've had success, unfortunately last night in my first attempt I did not and I'll explain what happened;
    • Daytona RC 100 strength medium aggression, classes; P1, GT3 & GT4. Time X10 from 4pm with 40laps race so I could drive into the night.
    • Qualified 4th a whole 4 seconds behind the leader of my class (GT4).
    • Within 2 laps I was in the lead of my class and expanding a huge gap.
    • As night fell second place caught up with me and that's where I saw an issue - he was far too slow in the corners but ultra quick on the straights, much moreso than me (I also noticed the GT3 cars the same).
    • Mandatory pit stops turned on, I noticed a couple of P1 cars went in and stayed in the pits.
    • Nearing the end I noticed all the P1 class (8 of them) had retired.
    • Within two laps of the chequered flag most of the 10 car GT3 field had retired suddenly and the same thing happened when the GT4 class got close to finishing.
    • It made the final couple of laps very immersion breaking, I did have mechanical failures on Authentic so wondering if there's a bug there.
    • I was expecting 40 laps to be the maximum for all, so that when the faster class (who has lapped me) finishes then my class should get the chequered flag (lap 37/38) but alas we kept racing to 40 :confused:
    Overall the experience was less than satisfactory, there's clearly an issue with the AI on this track, whatever forced the vast number of requirements at the end needs investigating but I did enjoy the driving into the night aspect which was cool!

I shall of course not give up, I already have plans to do a multiclass race on another track this time with a Timed finish and perhaps no failures (although I'd prefer to keep them on). Just a shame as I really like the Daytona RC but at 100 strength the AI are pointless to race against for me at this time.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  4. MarcG

Ok second mini 25min Multiclass race at Hockenheim worked much better, no mass retirements, decent close racing, mandatory pit stops worked well. Only major issue was sudden FPS loss when the sun set (didn't experience that at Daytona), will report.

5. Micropitt

There is a known bug with mandatory pit stops. The AI will either retire or disqualified at the end of the race. It is recommended not to enable mandatory pit stops until it is fixed. Regular Pit stops always work well for me in 1 hour races at Spa.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MarcG

Strange then as they worked just fine in my latest race, but that was Timed not finished by Lap number so maybe there's an issue with that.

7. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Share your AI strength/aggression and Race settings please.

I see a lot of praise for AMS2 AI, but when I get to try it it just sucks. I want to have fun too!

8. JavierZumaeta

I usually always have it set at 105 strength, High aggression for tin tops, low aggression for open wheelers - just in case. Damage is authentic but scale is set to medium - just in case.

Why isn't it working out for you?

9. Micropitt

Bugs don't always have consistency :p

10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I use 120 strength, high aggression.

Basically the P1s struggle far more than I do to overtake lower classes cars. I'm clearly slower than the whole P1 field, but I can pick them one by one because they spend too much time "blocked" by lower classes.

11. JavierZumaeta

Just an update from me - my duplicate AI drivers was definitely some sort of typo in the AI files - typo was corrected, and now the AIs function as expected.

• Like Like x 1