Helmet vs Cockpit cam any differences?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by jtortosen, Jul 22, 2023.

1. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello, I use triple screens. What are the differences between both cameras with helmet rendering off?

Both cameras have the same POV (46), with legacy movement set to YES at 35.

The only minor difference I notice is that the cockpit camera renders the image slightly further back, allowing me to see a bit more of the dashboard. However, I am unsure whether both cameras have the same movements and filters, or if one camera applies different movement settings or configurations.

Are the same? Not?

Thanks!

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Helmet cam can also activate a 3D helmet around drivers view that also "muffles" the sound. (optional)

Also for Track IR the helmet cam will apply the head tracking response for example - overall you get the same camera movement application though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. jtortosen

Thanks very useful!!

4. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

this doesn't work on ultrawides (the helmet and sound), i think when you go over a certain fov it stops showing the helmet, would this be fixable? as i like the helmet cam but have a 49" ultrawide with 101 fov

5. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Both camera seem to have a too zoomed in look even when using calculated FOV based on monitor size and distance, just look down at your virtual hands, with the seat set at 0,0. It seems the camera point is at default too far forward like its protruding from the drivers helmet rather than set between the drivers eyes.

6. jtortosen

56-57 cm of distance for me is the realistic value in terms of spatial vision and feeling. And the cockpit looks good with the correct size

7. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

I sit 60cm from a 21:9 35inch monitor with a fov of 69 the track looks about right but the cockpit looks 2-5 degrees oversized, I can of course move the seat back so not a big problem.

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

The McLaren GT1 cockpit feels too small no matter the camera in VR.

9. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

The few times that I have tried VR I had the feeling that the interiors felt too small on the cars that I tried. This would correlate with the slightly zoomed in look of the cockpit on a monitor. Perhaps the cars are underscaled? Or a problem with the ingame camera? , the way it scales to aspect ratios higher than 16:9.

10. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

The FOV in VR is based on you being a predator with 2 eyes on the front of your head. The distance between your eyes (IPD) is used.

Getting the 'virtual IPD' to match your own IPD will change the perception of the scale of the world.

You don't say what headset you have, but e.g this is a setting on Oculus (there are headsets that allow a physical change of IPD by moving the lenses apart which Oculus (foolishly) removed to save costs, but there's still the setting for the software side.

If you set your ipd distance correctly then it should just work.

Some applications do have a 'scale world' setting. In AM2, this is in openvrsettings.xml and it's the <prop name="IPD_Scale" data="1" />

As you can see by default it's 1, so it should look correct if your IPD is set correct in your headset settings.

AFAIAA, the FOV sliders will do nothing in VR - and there should be no need to calculate FOV or any of that stuff - although you may have to measure the distance between your eyes.

11. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Maybe the cockpits are modeled underscaled?? 09:1 scale.
    I suspect it is just the default camera position that makes things look a little odd. I compared 3 other sims to AMS2 all with the same FOV. All the others gave the same view of the cockpit, give or take a mm or two. Whilst AMS2 looked closer. Could be even that AMS2 camera is more accurately set between the drivers eyes whilst the others set it at the centre of the head.

12. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Certainly not in my experience in VR. They look fine. If I was using a monitor I would just set it so it looked good and wouldn't worry too much about calculating it.

In cars like the formula junior this is particularly noticeable because you're in the centre of things, the steering wheel and small windscreen right in front of you - and these feel to me like I'm fitting in the car.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Raf Nix

Raf Nix New Member

Does helmet view still cost some performance in vr?

14. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Then i think it is definitely camera position
    That makes the difference in relitive size of the cockpit, compared to other sims. it would be interesting to know where it is exactly set at 0,0 seat position.