VR Performance/Optimization - 4070, i5, Quest 2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by dst, Sep 4, 2023.

1. dst

dst Member

Is there systematic guide to optimizing VR?

I just got an RTX 4070 to replace a 3060 and while I notice a difference, I'm not really seeing it on the screen. Feel like I'm chasing smoke for the settings from random YT videos for about 4 platforms, vid card, Oculus app, Oculus debug tool, in-game, Open-VR etc.

Biggest thing I want to try and reduce is the shimmering catch-fences and armco (aliasing), and increase distance visibility for things like brake meter boards.

Anyone with an RTX 4070, i5-10400F 2.9ghz and 16gb RAM, on a Quest 2 or similar rig out there that's getting the most out of their system care to share their settings?

Thanks!

2. F2020

F2020 Member

Hey mate,

What res are you running the Quest 2 at please?

3. dst

dst Member

I bumped it up to 1.5 in the oculus app which has definitely helped.

4. Virindi

Virindi New Member

I had a Quest 2 on a RTX4080 and did not notice a big difference between x1.3 - 1.4
    MSAA set to medium was important though. You should be fine with this setup.

5. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

I think there's a certain level of expectation management too. Although I have a rift S so there are now quite a few VR headsets with higher per eye resolutions and PPD, my guess would be that these are still going to lack compared to a 2d screen sat 12-18 inches from your eyes.

i.e The price we pay for complete immersion is a few more generations with lower PPD and visual artifacts like a blurrier distance and aliasing. It's the reason most of the non-racing VR games are far more about looking at stuff that's close up to you. Racing games though as great as the cockpit looks looking at it in awe isn't something you want to do if you're driving fast and when you look far down the track it's a different story. My solution to this is putting something in the mid distance, like AI cars or ghosts and then I don't tend to notice the flaws compared with if you have a empty track.

That said, the quest 2 possibly isn't the headset to get if you want the best VR experience from racing games on the PC. I'd have thought that was HP Reverb.

6. Virindi

Virindi New Member

I have to disagree Michael.
    I now use the Pimax Crystal and it's incredible, you don't really feel you're looking at screens.
    Even the shadows that are relatively bad look great now. All the fine details are there.
    AC is even more stunning with all the mods.

7. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

If you look at the specs and price of that headset you're actually agreeing but no matter. Not the least you can throw big resolution screens in a headset but you still need a GPU powerful enough to output at that resolution (or the fancy eye tracking / rendering modes) - these are not widely available now are they? It'll be a few generations until most people are experiencing VR of that quality.

Bottom line it has a PPD of 35 or 42 I think based on the lenses, which is still significantly less than monitors even if it's reached the point where you personally can't tell the difference. The point here waxing lyrically about it may well leave some people disappointed when they try it themselves.

8. Virindi

Virindi New Member

Sorry I must have misunderstood your previous message then. :)