Formula Vintage Gen 1 Fuel tank size/consumption

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by jota.191, Sep 7, 2023.

1. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Hi! I am doing a championship with the AI mimicking a full season (my idea is to do so with every gen at some point).
    So far it has been a blast! Something I want to emphasize is how consistent is the AI from track to track (I always use 100 strength, while in most sims I did something similar before I had to tweak the AI track by track).

Race 7 of 8 was the Italian GP so I did a 28 lap race there. (As in every race in this champ, I did 40% of a full real life race, with accelerated (x2) fuel consumption/tire wear). To my surprise, every Model2 car (the V12s) had to make a pit stop to refuel. V1s had enough fuel to make it to the end, by a very tight margin (I had to lift a bit, every AI also finished the race with no pit stops). This destroyed my race but not big deal, I must race it again with more laps so everyone stops or a bit shorter so V12 can make it to the end.

But what I wonder if this is correct. The consumption shown means that the 150l tank would be enough to do like ~55 laps in x1 fuel consumption for model 2 (and ~58 for model 1), while the 1966 Italian GP, for reference, was a 68 lap race.

Did they actually regularly stop to refuel in the 60s? I tried to find info and I did not find anything. Perhaps the sim car consumes too much? Did they use bigger tanks in tracks like Monza?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

They did not refuel regularly in the 60's, only when needed but the margins as always where quite thin. I have done a lot of 80 minute races with the Vintages G1 and only once an AI ran out of fuel and I think it was because it underfilled or had a fuel pump issue. I however, don't use fuel acceleration because my races being 80m are 65% to 75% of the real length depending on the circuit and using 1x would require a pit stop every time.

But if I go by the setup fuel estimates after doing some laps, the full tank "should" do the whole real life laps on every track that I have tried with the V12. However the AI being able to do so is another matter, could be an interesting test to do some time.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Alain Fry

Alain Fry Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think Reiza has small tweaks to do there, regarding fuel consumption and/or fuel tank size.

I have reported that in the past the Formula V10 Gen 2 fuel tank was just too large for the F1 era it should look alike. But they never fixed it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jota.191

Just a detail I found later, the tank is 190L, not 150 as I wrote. Still everything applies.

5. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I actually did a 1 hour race at Imola 1988 in the F1-Classic-G1 and all the AI where fine on fuel, however if you want to do the full race, you need to run lean map all the way, otherwise you will run out of fuel. It's not that unrealistic though, those cars ran out of fuel a lot on those days. Will try to do a full race next to see how it goes. I think that may be needed as well on some of the longer F-Vintage races, like a full 15 lap Nurbugring.

6. jota.191

Seems fair. However, in my 28 lap race in Monza with x2 consumption making to the end seems doable as a player with the v12 (calc with default setup shows 31 laps, should be doable at least lifting/changing map). So the "issue" could be the AI unable to save fuel. The calculator could be optimiatic though, and perhaps they think it is faster to go full throttle and pit (they losst a lot of time pitting so they shouldn't). I'm away from the rig for some days now but next time I will do a stint myself with the car to see if it is actually possible for me to make it to the end.

7. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tank sizes were not the same on each car back then, but if 190 liters is not enough, then yes consumption should be toned down.