Tyre temperature on wet... fronts too cold

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GoobMB, Sep 5, 2023.

Tags:
  1. GoobMB

GoobMB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

******edit*******
    This seems to be getting fixed in latest betas.
    Just had marvellous 15 laps wet race with GT1s where after setting the car up temps were perfect whole the time.

Hello guys.
    I have been struggling with setting the car for rain. No matter what I tried, I cannot keep front tyres warm enough. Basically like if all cars were Porsche. Raised pressure, checked OMI, reduced camber, added more toe, closed ducts (does AMS2 simulate heat transfer from brakes to tyres anyway?) -nothing helps, they still stay low in 30-40s even when I overdrive the car like hell.
    GT1, GrpC, old formulas, old indy, M1M.

Is there a thing I am not aware of, please?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Honest question because I've done too little rain driving to have any experiance. Are the tires even supposed to come up to temp in the rain, whatever the green is on the wets? It probably also depends on the car and the track, and the ambient settings, but I mean in general.

3. GoobMB

It really depends on the car, temperature and track. For example Porsches (I mean various classic concepts "all weight on rear, especially with emptier tank") are notoriously known for problems with front tyre temperature.
    But I would expect the setup having at least some impact on front tyres... but no matter what I try, it still stays cold. OMI curve is changing a bit, but that is all.
    And blue wet tyres have way lower grip.

4. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I am pretty sure the wets stay blue for the most part on a soaked track, at least in my experience. I think the UI treats the wets as having the same temperature threshold as the dry tires, so the temperature is always "cold". But don't quote me on that :whistle::D.

5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

6. GoobMB

But rears are pretty warm and green. And fronts go from green to blue as you drive the track (if you start with tyres warmed up, of course). Also temperature wise, values are low on fronts and high on rears.

7. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

FLIR_20230831_113054_637.jpg
    right front
    FLIR_20230831_113110_819.jpg
    right rear

these are my friends tyre temperature right after 1st night run in mountain roads.

car: hyundai genesis coupe 2.0 turbo
    FR, weight distribution Front 52:Rear 48
    nankang tyres

surface: damp and dusty
    air: 28°c

his rear tyres always hotter even up hill or downhill.
    tyre temperature changes based on many conditions.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. GoobMB

Ok, I spent 3 painy hours trying to figure it out, ended with total frustration.
    Config was GT1 Porsche 911 at wet Redbull Ring, condition: rain, todays date, 14:00, track surface: wet.
    No matter what I tried, I always ended with fronts oscillating between 30 and 43 degrees after 5 laps. But the upper temperature was achieved using totally overbombed fronts with OMI of bell shape, and overdriving fronts like if it was 5 laps rallycross: steering angle scrubbing the tyres. Rears kept nice and warm 70 degrees.
    I really do not think it is normal, and because I love driving in weather, I am afraid I will have to go back to rF2 and ACC (goddamn I so so hate GT3 boredom) for the rain.
    @CrimsonEminence sorry for tagging you, but please: is this considered as normal? I have this issue with every RWD car.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

GT1 wet tires aren't yet dialed in

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would it make sense to rename tyre compounds (at least wet ones) that aren't supposed to work yet as "Wet (WIP)" in the game so people don't waste time testing them?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. GoobMB

All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back! :D
    Is there a way to find out what cars have working wet tyres then, please? I am on beta branch too, and all I found was "only softs revamped so far".

12. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

I assumed it was just about grip levels that need tweaking? i.e I also assumed you felt there wasn't enough grip and then tried to change setup to get more which didn't work?

i.e At the moment I believe there have been a couple of comments from Reiza that there's less grip in wets than someone thinks there should be. But, if you're playing the game there's as much grip as there is. You can slow down during corning or speed up depending on the level of grip available.

If you wanted more grip than you get in the rain then race in the sunshine. Too much grip in the sunshine? Turn on the rain. Too much visibility? Turn on the fog. You can adjust the amount of grip more with setup, track settings etc.

At some point in the future maybe the levels of grip in a game will match someone's version of reality but I wouldn't sit fretting about not playing a game waiting for that day to happen. It is what it is.

13. GoobMB

No. I am not able to set up the car for maintaining front wet tyres in proper temperature window, they start on optimal temperature (preheated) and they fall down to cold during session. It has nothing to do with "I want more grip, more visibility, whatever"... I want working setup (in sane conditions, I am not taking the car to freezing hell or something).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  14. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

What else do you want to change the temps for if it's not grip? To stop them getting a cold?

15. GoobMB

Of course it is for grip. Which of course goes south when *front* tyres go cold. They shall not go cold under sane conditions when the car is properly set up. I somehow do not know the purpose of this discussion, sorry.

16. GoobMB

This seems to be getting fixed in latest betas.
    Just had marvellous 15 laps wet race with GT1s where after setting the car up temps were perfect.
    Great job, devs.