Fastest braking technique?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Kute, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Kute

Kute Member

For the sheer shedding of speed, what's the fastest way to brake?

Just stomp the brake to like 85% asap?
    Brake gradually for a moment to shift the weight to the front then stomp?

Sometimes I swear braking like 70% slows me down faster than like, 90% brake force(or as hard as I can without locking up), but it's probably an illusion or something, I'm probably just braking a few feet earlier

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

IMO you should try to brake with the maximum pressure without locking your brakes

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know if it is faster or not but I usually hit them hard and then bleed off brake pressure as the car is slowing so it doesn't lockup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kute

Kute Member

Same. I mean you have to, or you'll lock the tires everytime. I'm just unsure on the initial application of the brake, should it be as fast/hard as possible, or is there some weird reason it'd be better to temper how fast I press down the pedal?

5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

6. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Member AMS2 Club Member

Think of the old snatch the table cloth from under the plates trick ! It's done fast and aggressive to brake the friction. It's the same laws of physics .Slow and smooth keeps friction so when pressing the brake it's Slow and smooth but as fast as possible without braking friction ....it made perfect sense in my head :D

7. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Well if you want to stop as quick as possible you want to use as much braking as you can. You can use more braking (without locking up) the faster you're going, especially given a car with a downforce, so you want the initial application of brakes to be hard so that you remove that top speed.

i.e if you start braking slowly you may shed speed to the point where you can't brake hard, i.e you'll have lost the opportunity to stop in a shorter distance.

BUT, be careful you're not straying into the "I want to be fast around a lap" question - because how you brake to drive around a track fast isn't necessarily the same question as how you brake to stop the car in the least distance - the "For the sheer shedding of speed, what's the fastest way to brake?" question that was asked. The former has questions about the balance of the car, using the brakes to turn the car, trail braking etc that aren't really an issue in the "stop asap" case.

8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Depending on the corner you can trail brake as well in order to carry a but more speed in initially and have the brakes help to rotate the car into the corner but it does not work well with a lot of AMS2 cars, or didn't, I have noticed it is a bit easier now, maybe the recent tyre updates have made it a bit easier?

9. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This also depends on the brake pedals you have, but as many have said the fastest way is to wait as late as possible, then push them as hard as you are able without locking them.

As I have a load cell set, my muscle memory then releases the pressure while still "pressing" them making trail braking much easier, with a normal brake set it would be much different as you would have to release the pressure in a more linear manner.

• Agree Agree x 1