VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

2. noel spence

noel spence Member AMS2 Club Member

3. noel spence

thanks for trying mick , but i might have to wait till or if the server is updated

4. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That workaround seems effective for everyone else who has tried it - what is it that's not working for you?

5. noel spence

not very good at tech stuff mick

6. _Was

_Was Member

Delete

7. titof3

titof3 New Member

Hello,
    For some time when I launch AMS2 with openXR, the VR view is not stable in the car, it moves all the time, I can not stay in front of the steering wheel!
    Launching the game with SteamVR is better.
    I tried to reinstall the game but it’s the same, I can’t find a solution.
    Thanks for your help.
    Thierry

8. Skidmark33

Skidmark33 Member AMS2 Club Member

Two related things to try:

1. Ensure your room is well lit. Your headset needs to be able to tell where it is and sense movement. If it’s too dark or there is a lack of contrast it loses track and “guesses”.

2. Following from above, have some contrast in front of you. When I got my headset I had a large monitor in front of me which was turned off giving a large black field. Putting something in front of the monitor - I used a white hand towel draped over the top so it made a high-contrast stripe - really helped.

Finally I use Voice Attack (it’s on Steam) and so if the headset loses track of where it is I just have to say “reset” and this triggers the correct keyboard command to re-centre the view. Fumbling around with the keyboard is a nightmare in VR.

9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Now I am confused

I thought opencomposite was NOT working with AMS2????

10. RoloFuentes

RoloFuentes Member AMS2 Club Member

I only use OC/oxr

11. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

For oculus hardware - because it detects oculus and uses it directly.

12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I am a quest 2 user so I also thought it goes to oculus mode even with opencomposite being used

but then how you access oxr?

13. noel spence

got it going mick i diidnt realise you had to click on the exe in the open composite folder to create the runtime folder and the other files
    Thank god steam is horrible

14. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

sorry if I sound dumb, insisting or maybe I am that puzzled because I have been successfully using opencomposite with other Sims, really a great difference on performance leading to cracking up the resolution and graphics with my QUEST2 and my combo RTX3080 12Gb/5800x3D.

So I would like to definitively understand what's possible and what's not with opencomposite/openxr in AMS2 not because the Github clearly states

[8] Automobilista 2 forces usage of Oculus mode when an Oculus device is detected, and will not allow use of OpenComposite/OpenXR Toolkit.

So I am using systemwide Opencomposite for ACC and RF2 as well as AC and DIRT2, all good.

Would a per Game install allow to use it in AMS2 and if so what are the proceedings

1. put the openvr.dll in AMD/x64 folder right?
    2. Create an opencomposite.ini but with what in there and where to save it?
    3. then how to launch the Game after that?
    again sorry if this has been addressed hundreds times, but I just dont get it:(

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
  15. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

I'm pretty sure that quote is true. It's been repeated umpteen times in these VR threads that you can't use AMS2 + openxr.

Pretty sure the only difference in performance is that it lowers the quality (i.e there's no advantage in 'steamvr bypass' because we're not using steamvr anyway) - albeit possibly using fixed foveated rendering so it might be a desirable quality drop for someone with older hardware.

But the [8] quote is my understanding. I did once wonder if you could fool AM2 into believing you don't have an oculus to make it work. Although I didn't look further so I've no idea what registry entries or api calls the game does to detect an oculus headset - if you could 'break' that though then I'd guess it would fallback to trying the other apis.

With, of course, depending how you did it, potentially breaking other apps that try to detect your headset.

Personally I don't think you're missing much. If I wanted better quality in VR that's trivially got by getting a reverb G2 and / or a 30 or 40 series graphics card - albeit not for free. Meantime it works pretty well in rift s with a 1070 - I don't think there's any magic api that'll give any significant improvement to either quality or performance. I stopped all this peeing about with supersampling and whatever when I realised that you can spend more time messing than actually playing the game and, once you were immersed in the game it makes no difference.

The fundamental flaw with racing games in VR - especially if you compare it with titles like Boneworks or Half Life - Alyx is that we're focussed on the distance and that shows the worse aspects of current VR tech. The cockpit looks great. I tend to set up the games such that there's something mid view, like chasing a ghost in Time trial or AI cars otherwise and that removes a lot of the 'everything's blurry' feeling - everything isn't blurry it's just that we're not driving along looking at the non blurry fire extinguisher on the passenger side floor or the car seats.

But, if you're looking to use openxr and reiza don't add the option...figure out how it 'detects' the oculus and break it - if it's a library that gives a successful api call, make it return failure. If it looks for a string of text somewhere, change the string. That kind of thing is where I would investigate.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

thank you for the comprehensive feedback.
    Thing is having High end of previous gen HW (3080 12Gb and 5800X3D), I was hoping for a fully locked 90fps experience in any conditions in AMS2 but its not completely happening.

The use of opencomposite and related to this OpenXR tools in other Sims provided me this full smooth framerates experience. I don't have motion sickness in general but after playing AMS2 for long session, at least more than an hour, I am getting some kind of dizzy so wondering if that's not because of this not fully smooth fps.

maybe other Q2 would chime in and share their experience and if there is a workaround to use OPENXR tool, I would be really happy to hear

17. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Nope, it doesn't work. Feel free to add your voice to the void that is the "help and support" forum on the subject (lol)
    VR Launch Issue - Oculus

• Like Like x 2
  18. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

thanks.done

19. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Possibly. I assume you've done the usual thing of adjusting head movement and using the 'legacy' head movement option?

20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Yes it’s not that strong but noticeable so that’s why I would like to reach a fully 90fps locked experience and not compromise too much on clarity and graphics
    Openxr tool is really a great way to make most of both worlds