VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. wickfut

wickfut Member

Crystal arrived. Had bad residue on inside of lenses so initial feelings of it were that it was junk. Fixed. Rather nice headset but really strains my eyes over other headsets.
    Will probably return it and go back to the Reverb.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BrassYeti

BrassYeti New Member

Setup Game: AMS2 CPU: 5600x GPU: RTX 3080
    Quest 3:
    • 1.1x resolution to render native resolution on the quest 3.
    • Using Quest Link Cable.
    • Resolution Width set to 4128.
    Reverb G1
    • 100% Super Sampling in Steam VR
    AMS2 Settings:
    • Texture Filtering: x16
    • MSSA: Medium
    • Reflections: High
    • Environment Map: High
    • Car Detail: High
    • Track Detail: High
    • Shadow Detail: High

I tried to really like the Quest 3 for sim racing, but going back to back, it's clear to me that despite the slightly higher fov, and the larger sweet spot, there is just too much aliasing and artifacts on the Quest compared to my OG Reverb. The Quest 3 may look sharper, but the jagged outline of cars is a big turn-off. Are these compression artifacts I'm seeing?

Am I doing something wrong and I'm crazy or have you guys also experienced the same thing?

3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

i got a quest 3 and when comparing it back to back with my Index (quest 3 via link cable or air link), the Index is just better in AMS2. The clarity of the image, the colours, etc. I was a bit surprised by this as the quest 3 looks absolutely amazing in Halflife Alyx, but i'll be sticking to the Index for sim racing

4. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

At the moment I’m sticking with my Oculus CV1, because even with a 1.5x supersampling I get a rock solid 90fps.
    I’m afraid to have bad performances if I use a brand new VR headset with super high resolution…

5. wickfut

wickfut Member

No. I've tried multiple times to play in my Pico 4 and although it was serviceable, I can't say I was impressed with it so returned to the Reverb.

6. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

I don't know about the Q3 because I don't have one yet, but on Q2 1.1x resolution is not native. You have to select the desired refresh rate and move the slider all the way to the right.

I have a 3080 too and I can't achieve 90 fps with the settings you posted unless I reduce FOV tangent multiplier in ODT, so I think you are not at max Quest 3 resolution, thus the inferior image quality you describe.

Also, to get better visuals you need to tweak some encoding settings on ODT. Anyway it will never be as good as a DP headset like the Reverb, but it can be set quite close.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Hello
    I have a Q2 and rtx3080 like you
    Do you mind posting your AMS2 in game and ODT settings?
    Really unhappy that I cant run openxr to improve performances so any guidance to optimize what I have set by default today would be great
    Thanks a lot

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

these are mines.

I can maintain 90fps locked in a lot but not all scenarios so I am curious to hera about your own experience

Fore reference, I am running a 5800X3D as a CPU on my PCVR rig

upload_2023-10-28_13-19-35.png

upload_2023-10-28_13-18-12.png

upload_2023-10-28_13-18-58.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Hello,

spending my Japan Sunday morning trying to tweak the scenarios where I can not lock 90fps and smooth running.
    I finally touched on FOV adjustment with some success.
    The perf killer for me and my set-up as mentioned above (5800X3D and RTX3080 12gb) is running a race at Night with more than 15cars.
    Reducing FOV to 0.72 both vertical and horizontal, with a bit OC on my GPU is now allowing me to enjoy such races more.
    The impact on what I see is present but not that critical. I am still testing what to do with ASW, I am quite sensitive to stutter and I can clearly feel when it kicks in in these races scenario in some part of the tracks so that further experiment will be done this afternoon.

VR is quite rewarding, really immersion is great for me, but for sure you need to be prepared for Tweaking a bit

@Renato Simioni
    if you could help us poor QUEST VR users to get OpenXR implemented in your great Game, it would be very much appreciated

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WadeOhh

WadeOhh New Member

Hi all. Am hoping someone might be able to help me with my issue. Its a little tricky to explain, but I'll do my best.

My system is a RTX3080, Ryzen 5600X, 16GB RAM.

Quest 3 using Virtual Desktop, in VR, no matter what settings I try, my framerate sits just below what it needs to be. Even with everything set to low/off, it cannot hold the target headset framerate.

For example, if I set my headset to 72FPS, the framerate in game will sit at around 65 - 70FPS, causing stutters and jumping. However, if I set my headset to 90FPS, the framerate will sit at around 80 - 88FPS (so I do not believe this is a lack of power from my PC). No matter what I set my headset framerate to, the game will always run slightly below the headset framerate.

A few noteworthy things I've checked/tried...
    - My latency seems to be totally fine and not affecting anything.
    - In SteamVR, I set the render resolution all the way down to 20% (so low you couldn't even see the game), and the issue STILL happens.

I hope this makes to someone. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the issue is. I've tried all combination of settings and I cannot get the game to hold the framerate that my headset it set to. Any help would be much appreciated.

11. Majak

Majak New Member AMS2 Club Member

@WadeOhh, you could try deleting or renaming your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config" folder. I switched from Reverb G2 to Quest 3 and was struggling to even start SteamVR unless I deleted that "config" folder which got re-created on SteamVR start (re-installs of SteamVR did not help, but deleting config folder did).

I'm running the Quest 3 with Virtual Desktop @ 72 fps, HEVC 10 bit, AMS2 with vrperfkit and very happy with the results, much happier than with the Reverb G2. CPU Ryzen 5900X, GPU AMD 6900XT@23.9.3 driver.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This would all be solvable if the launch in SteamVR branch worked for Oculus headsets (it doesn't currently). Then we could use open composite to force OpenXR usage.

Reiza don't even need to waste resources on implementing OpenXR.
    Unfortunately, after almost a year of tagging all manor of devs and staff, including @Renato Simioni and @CrimsonEminence, not a single one of them has even responded, let alone given any indication if this is fixable for Oculus headsets. (It has to be, given that Oculus headsets support Steam/Open VR and AMS2 supports launching via this API).

Frustrating to say the least!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I've forwarded the request. I can't promise anything tho!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Yes please make it happen

when I see couple of posts above of new QUEST3 users I can imagine the VR market in Simracing is growing and Meta has been driving this since QUEST1 and especially with the affordable QUEST2 so it’s good for Reiza business to support this integration now!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  15. WadeOhh

WadeOhh New Member

Thank you for sharing, but deleting the config folder unfortunately didn't help. I even gave vrperfkit a try and this also did nothing to help. I feel like there is something interfering, or something running in the background that is tanking my performance. I guess I'll continue to investigate.

16. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I think I read somewhere that running the Q3 with VD would allow to trigger openxr runtime and use the great features from openxr toolkit for example

can you confirm because that would be a game changer and could make me think to upgrade from my Q2

thanks a lot

17. WadeOhh

WadeOhh New Member

Solved! Although, pretty unsatisfyingly. I did a complete re-install of the game and my issues are completely gone. The game runs great and looks gorgeous on the Quest 3.

18. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Yes, it works apparently
    Application Compatibility

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Thanks for the link

but AMS2 is not listed in the verified games so I am still a bit doubtful

20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I don’t necessarily like these media but post on Reddit and discord to get some clarity

and hopefully some leverage for Reiza to support us Oculus VR users