If I save fuel to save a pitstop, is that cheating (against the AI)?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by JavierZumaeta, Oct 27, 2023.

1. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

I did a 1 hour 30 min race against the GT1 field against the AI. Once in the Pork, then again with the Macca. Accelerated fuel rate. For both cars I could do half hour stints with a full tank of fuel, saving fuel sometimes. If I pushed on high fuel mix, I would have had to do a splash and dash there at the end. But it was easy to do. I only had to save a few gallons, nothing particularly extreme.

But I noticed the top runners, they did the splash and dash. So I think currently the AI is always pushing at high fuel mix. So, is this confirmed, and if so, that would mean the player can kinda "cheat" since they have a tool that isn't available to the AI for now, isn't there?

Specifically on road courses, not ovals.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

AI is also able to save fuel actually (even by using draft to an advantage) but it's true that they aren't using fuel map setting afaik!

3. JavierZumaeta

Got it. Yeah I meant specifically on a road course. But okay, will take this into account. Hopefully that functionality is added for the AI in the future!

4. JavierZumaeta

oh, another question.... does the AI ever get the option to not put on a new set of tires, and double stint the current set (in the event the tire change must occur after the refuel, like in the GT1 class)?

'cuz if they don't have that option too, then that would mean another thing I can do the AI can't.

5. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think they don't even change the dry compounds, they only use soft tires at the moment. Hopefully by the time the endurance content releases, Reiza can teach them to double stint and use different dry compounds.

6. JavierZumaeta

So, I did another test race, and blessfully CONFIRMED with great glee.

The AI will be strategic about whether they change tires or not during the pit stop (at least at the end of the race), and how much fuel they 1-start the race with and 2-how much fuel they put on. Brands Hatch, 21 lap race, and the fuel lasts just about 20-21 laps. About half pitted for a splash and dash (as did I), and many stayed and made it through to the end of the race, saving fuel, I presume.

So I won't feel guilty about saving fuel and double stinting tires. Just don't use fuel map, and don't use the hards, as Mazdaspeed just said. It makes for great racing.

The on-track action, btw, was <chef's kiss> incredible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheMagicJaaag

TheMagicJaaag Member

In a SportsCar race with Group C, GT1s and LMP's (including the Thunderflash mod cars) with me in the XJR9 I noticed my pit stops are really mega slow and got jumped by a lot of other cars (including some other XJR9s) and my tire changes are the slowest part of the pit stop and not the topping up fuel part.

I wonder if the AI aren't bothering refueling and just changing tires.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. JavierZumaeta

That's not been my experience. refueling takes just as long for everybody. In the GroupCs, tires and refueling happens at the same time, with the GT1s, tires happen after you refuel. In my experience, the AI most often changes tires. I can usually jump them if I choose to double stint tires.

The AI usually ends up catching back up to me tho, which is satisfying in its own way!

It could be your pit stop strategy. If you know you gotta stop once for a bit of fuel, but plan to stop at the half-way mark, you'll be in the pits a long time to fill it up for the 2nd half. Instead it would be faster to start with a full tank and do a splash and dash. I did that mistake once while the AI was much smarter than me.

9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont "drive" AIs but do you know if this also does work in MP races?
    I mean if I make a stop late in the MP race does the fuel thing then take a shorter time because less fuel is poured in?
    And I guess that I have to make a pit setup that exactly define the splash amount I want.

10. JavierZumaeta

yes, you can set that up before the race, on during the race, if you open the ICM menu.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

No because if I try that Ill crash - by garantee :p

ByTheWay: If I may add then I created a F-Reiza MP race on WG a few days ago where I had to pit after about 8 laps. Because the tires was completely gone.
    When the tires had been changed then I had to wait 1-2 min because some damage was "repared."
    But problem was I have had no accident at all. Not even near.
    A bit un-sim like me think :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  12. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's probably because the game defaults to repair all damage when pitting, including engine damage, which is indeed "unrealistic" in open wheel racing. You can prevent that fairly easy by disabling mechanical damage repair in the pit strategy.

• Like Like x 1