does anyone know how to do setups for active suspension?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by formulafan1994, Nov 26, 2023.

1. formulafan1994

formulafan1994 New Member

it would be an great help if any one had an clue in setting up these cars, because i am at a loss at what the actual settings does for each tracks. i know it sounds self explanatory, but i'm still at a loss compared to passive cars where i know what affects what. thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. racezilla

racezilla Member AMS2 Club Member

Bumping this as I have the same question. The in game setup menu usually has a brief description of the effects of each change, but as of now it's empty.

3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I would think it’s a bit like springs. A lower value causes more chassis movement

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Like others I dont have clue.
    But my guess is that lower values does mean quicker response time.
    And my guess is also that the full lenght of the movement is the same.;)

5. formulafan1994

formulafan1994 New Member

well, my guess is like the other values, the higher it is, the faster it reacts rather than the opposite? i don't really know until reiza addresses this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

I told Chat GPT that he would be a race engineer for the williams team back then and he came up with the following:

Active suspension, which was prominent in Formula 1 during the late 1980s and early 1990s, allowed for real-time adjustments to the car's suspension system. The primary goal was to maintain optimal ride height and handling characteristics under varying track conditions. Here's a brief overview:

1. Ride Height Control:

• Active suspension systems constantly adjusted the ride height of the car to keep it as low as possible without violating regulations. This optimization helped minimize aerodynamic drag and improve overall performance.
    2. Damping Rates:

• Damping rates could be dynamically adjusted based on the car's speed, cornering forces, and other parameters. This allowed for better control over pitch and roll during different phases of driving.
    3. Pitch and Roll Control:

• Active suspension systems could counteract pitch (front-to-back movement) and roll (side-to-side movement) of the car. This helped maintain stability during braking, acceleration, and cornering.
    4. Anti-Dive and Anti-Squat:

• The system could reduce dive (front suspension compression) under braking and squat (rear suspension compression) during acceleration, enhancing stability and traction.
    5. Adaptive Response:

• Active suspension systems used sensors and actuators to continuously monitor and adjust to changes in track conditions, ensuring optimal performance in real-time.
    While active suspension offered significant advantages in terms of performance and handling, it was eventually banned in Formula 1 for the 1994 season due to concerns about escalating costs and the desire to return to a more driver-dependent setup.

You
    Give me an example how damping rates would be adjusted over the course of a lap

ChatGPT
    During a lap, damping rates in an active suspension system could be adjusted based on various factors such as speed, cornering loads, and track conditions. Here's a simplified example:

1. Straight Line:
      • As the car accelerates on a straight, the active suspension system might prioritize softer damping rates to enhance ride comfort and allow the tires to maintain maximum contact with the road surface. This helps in straight-line speed and minimizes energy losses.
    2. Approaching a Corner:
      • When approaching a corner, the system could increase damping rates to reduce body roll and maintain a more stable platform for the upcoming turn. This adjustment helps in maintaining optimal tire contact and responsiveness.
    3. Mid-Corner:
      • In the middle of a corner, the active suspension could dynamically adjust damping rates based on lateral forces. If the car experiences understeer (front losing grip), the system might soften the front suspension to improve traction. Conversely, if there's oversteer (rear losing grip), it could adjust the rear suspension for better stability.
    4. Exiting the Corner:
      • During acceleration out of a corner, the system might increase damping rates to minimize squat and maintain a more level platform, improving traction and preventing excessive weight transfer to the rear.
    5. Adjustments for Bumps or Uneven Surfaces:
      • In sections of the track with bumps or uneven surfaces, the active suspension system could quickly adapt damping rates to absorb shocks and maintain optimal tire contact, preventing loss of traction.
    These adjustments would occur seamlessly and continuously throughout the lap, optimizing the car's handling characteristics for each phase of the track. It's important to note that the specifics of damping rate adjustments would depend on the design and programming of the particular active suspension system used by the team.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Does this laughable Chat GPT "answer" answer these questions?
    Ofcourse not.:whistle:
    As almost allways these vague Chat GPT "answers" are so general that they are completely worthless.
    We still dont know what a large or small number in the 2x active suspension settings mean.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2