Information for Customizing AI drivers in AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by gian, Nov 19, 2021.

1. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not aware of a way to do that - presuming it's not possible, but I don't know - but it would be very cool if we could. Maybe something that will be considered to go with the endurance stuff on the way in the future.

2. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi there,
    I'll post my question here and in the livery thread because I think it fits somewhere in between.

I just updated my F-Junior skinpack (LINK) and included @john Ellis custom ai file.

Now when I enter a race two Jean-Pierre Beltoise appear on the grid although there are no double Beltoise in the file. I also asked John about it but he hasn't found an answer after checking. So this seems weird. Perhaps somebody has a solution or finds the error? @gian ?

Find attached the custom ai file + formula_junior.xml

I appreciate any help. :)

Edit: I might mention that without a custom ai file there are no double Beltoise. However also no real names and the structure of the file seems correct.

Attached Files:

3. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can't check your file as I am on the phone, but an ampersand in the livery override xml can cause duplicates.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. F_B

Good hint!
    Unfortunately there are no ampersands used in the livery override files.

5. MaCross

MaCross Retro Racer

In line 1 of formula_junior.xml is a v before <.
    After deleting it and a quick check in AMS2, I only see one Beltoise. Give it a try.

Edit: no, that wasn't it. Let me investigate further.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a workaround but not the cause...
    Frank Gardner's car is "F-Junior #8", which is the same _original_ name as the Beltoise car.
    What I did as a workaround was rename it to "F-Junior #8_" so that it wouldn't clash with any original name. Appending Gardner's name also fixes it - as long as the new name doesn't clash with one of the old ones it seems.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. F_B

Thanks!
    This seems to be the same fix as mentioned here.

8. Romeo Foxtrot

Darn! Ninja'd indirectly! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Hal

Hal New Member

just got back to ams2 after the recent update. i'm trying to add the nissan GT3 cars to the spreadsheet tool but can't get it to work properly. i added a nissan car and when i click to generate the xml file it tells me correctly that i now have 27 possible liveries instead of 26 but still says only 26 are selected, leaving out the one i added. what am i doing wrong? thanks

10. hipshot

hipshot New Member

Does wet_skill not effect wet qualifying pace? Other customisations are appearing but changing the wet_skills from 0.1 to 1 doesn't change the quali times at all!

11. Romeo Foxtrot

I've just been asked for an update of my spreadsheet but there's little changed at present. This is a new list of the Livery_names and IDs as at 1.5.3.5. They should just plug in to the spreadsheet from January and all should continue to work.

Here's the file as it was last released and the updated livery_names on an otherwise empty spreadsheet.

ETA: Sorry, John, I left the Reiza names and NAMeS names out of synch. I've fixed that now for the Corvettes and the P2 class Sigmas.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for sharing those; at some point, the number of Corvette C3.R entries in TC70S was reduced; here's the current roster:

51 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #4 Jack Woods USA
    52 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #6 Billy Carter USA
    53 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #8 Marion-Cline Bouchet FRA
    54 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #9 Bert Jenkins USA
    55 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #12 Dale Horn USA
    56 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #15 Robin Wallin SWE
    57 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #16 Bill Dixon USA
    58 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #21 Daryl Lee USA
    59 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #32 Clinton Kelly USA
    60 Chevrolet Corvette C3-R #50 Brice Dupont FRA

Also, 57 North Racing #68 Henri Bayonne CAN was deleted some time back in F-Retro Gen1

None of these issues affect the AI files themselves, as extra, untethered drivers are simply ignored. It's more of a bookkeeping exercise at this point.

13. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

I don't think you can at this point. That's for me a kind of Holy Grail of the single-player experience... If AMS2 implements it properly I believe it would become the first sim to do so since GTR2
    (That is if GTR2 had it properly implemented at all, I am not sure but heard that it was the case).

14. Mazdaspeed

In my testing the wet skill is very inconsistent in how it works, only 3 times I have seen it have any effect at all and it was always in a race session. It was with a custom AI I made for the F-Vintage G1, had Pedro Rodriguez, Jackie Stewart and Jacky Ickx with very high .95 wet skill. In Spa 1970 race started dry and then it rained, only when the track got soaked did they start to do some very fast laptimes compared to other lower skilled drivers.

I have no idea if the wet skill overrides the race skill value when it rains, or if its an average of the 2 or what. What I have seen is that it never makes a difference on damp or wet tracks, only in the soaked state and even then most of the times I cant see much difference at all.

15. gian

gian Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

First of all, beware the correct syntax is wet_skill, not wet_skills. I very often see it being provided as wet_skills by third party sheets or in forums (and even mentioned in first quote above), so it wont work.

Second is that on some vehicle classes the difference between a high wet skill driver and a low wet skill driver is less noticeable than on other vehicle classes.

Third is it affects qualy pace too.

Forth is it doesnt override the race skill or qualy skill value, and it isn't used as an average. It works as described in the first post of this thread (i.e. it controls how much he will slow down in curves on wet track). For example, if a high race skill driver does a curve at 100km/h when its dry, and he has high wet skill, then at wet track he will do that curve at say 90km/h, while if he had low wet skill he would do it at say 85km/h. So if a low race skill driver does that curve at 95km/h in dry, and he has high wet skill, then he might do it at say 88km/h in the wet.

Another way to explain it is: it controls how much percent slower a driver will be in a fully wet corner compared to his own speed in the dry in that same corner. For example: in a given class all drivers with 1.0 wet skill go 10% slower on a fully wet corner compared to their own speed on that same corner fully dry. And all drivers with 0.0 wet skill go 20% slower on a fully wet corner compared to their own speed on that same corner fully dry. (note those numbers are just examples, the actual percentage varies per class).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 5
  16. Mazdaspeed

Thanks for the clarification! Will definitely check that the "s" doesn't slip by in the file.

Knowing how it exactly works will make it a lot easier to set the values and test the different classes.

17. Mazdaspeed

Just checked a few of the AI files and indeed some had wet_skills, silly me, that's why it was inconsistent :(

18. Marg

Marg Active Member

I also had "wet_skills" in many files.:(o_O

19. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ffs, the spreadsheet I've been using to make AI files for months also outputs "wet_skills", so that's pretty much every file I've made for the past year needing an update :eek:o_O

20. Eduardo Costa

Eduardo Costa New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Reiza Guys

We need to talk abou Max speed, It’s pretty obvius that we have this problem with maximum speed. Even with different race skills, the cars reach the same final speed on straights (it doesn't matter if the race_skill is 0.1 or 1.0), it's actually quite annoying to see that Sena takes several laps to get past Alex Cafffi (formula classic in Jacarepagua for example, but it is clear that the game already has this slider, as we have different final speeds between classes, or even better, between models of the same class! We just need Reiza to make them available to edit. Race_skills would remain the same (as explained on page 1), and we would have a new slider (which already exists internally) max_speed.

If Reiza lets me dream this far, another slider that would be a game changer would be acceleration, it would be directly linked to max_speed, and it is also an internal slider (But not editable, as explained above).

My last dream slider would be brakes, I believe it would be a little more difficult as we would have different lines during the race, with cars braking later or earlier depending on the situation, but you already do that too, don't you?

We would certainly need to make some changes to the race_skill, if these sliders are implemented to prevent the lap times between the best and the poorest driver on the grid from being very discrepant (perhaps in an opponent's skill of 90% it would have to be adjusted to 92.5% and 87.5% instead of 95% and 85%, but it will be worth it)

I've seen other posts on this forum talking about this issue of final speed, in other words, it's not just my demand, it's the entire community's.

I believe it would be the biggest update since you let us update the pilot sliders, but now that we no longer have the season pass it would be a good recipe for you too (you don't even need to do much, just let us edit).

I'm a fan of this company, I bought 3 copies of the game, the way you take care of updates and listen to the community is very special, congratulations!

read with affection, and please help with my dreams, you are the best!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1