Really not a fan of this new engine protection

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by GrimDad, Mar 21, 2016.

1. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

The StockV8s definitely feel like they're excessively protected after the latest update.

I feel like he can do things I can't with that gearbox.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I was curious, so I just went and tried the stock cars, using paddle shifters and the auto clutch option set to on. Zero problems. The car shifted exactly as expected. The only time it would not instantly obey upshift or downshift instructions is if you tried to do something ridiculous like downshift into a gear that would result in the rpms going into the red zone. If you use the brakes as intended, you can drive very aggressively with this car, all the way up and down from 1st gear.

Could you give an example of when/where you are being prevented from shifting?

3. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

There was indeed an error with downshift protection in the StockV8 and a few other cars. This has now been addressed (v0.8.71).

• Like Like x 1
  4. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

EDIT. Dammit @Renato Simioni! Nija'd my thorough rebuttal!

---

As far as I can tell he does downshift into red LEDs in that video, though not as often or hard as I've seen in others from older seasons. Case in point.

I think you'd call that ridiculous. Perhaps in the change over to the flappy paddles they've been forced to use more conservative protection.

Then again this is flappy paddle and this is aggressive in a way I'm pretty sure you can't do now in AMS either.

To be clear I'm not saying the car is undrivable, just that the protections caught me off guard and limit what I can do in particular compared to how Niels said they could be and are driven realistically. I promise I know how to use brakes, I don't need someone questioning my competence in order to debate the finer points of engine protections (with all due respect).

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Lock

John Lock New Member AMS2 Club Member

Which Lame Brain came up with the idea of gear protection, it totally ruins the game, in the first instance it was just downshifts to first gear but in the latest update it has been extended to all gears. I want to change gear when I want to not when the damn computer says I can.
    Before this feature was added I would give AMS a 9 out of 10 rating, with this feature only 3 out of 10. In all the years I have been using sims I have never blown an engine or gearbox, so don't see the need for this to be included, or at the very least an option to switch off this annoying & frustrating item.
    This 1 item is enough for me to stop using AMS all together & stick to SCE, Reiza listen to your user base & get rid of this:mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

I'm pretty sure they'll be making it so you can soon enough, I believe.

This is realism. Real cars have these protections where applicable and elsewhere don't. Its a limitation that's no different than not being able to jump between gears out of order in a sequential box.

7. John Lock

John Lock New Member AMS2 Club Member

I've just watched the vids of real racing above & when changing down they are going well into the top rev range, which is where I would be without the gear protection/ so it is way too over intrusive either get rid of it or give the option to turn it off.

8. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

It´s not like we just make this stuff up ;) The systems do exist, and these indeed will be helpful as we implement the new drivetrain damage model.

It´s no different to the tire damage model requiring drivers to be more careful to avoid wheel lock-up - the more these variables are simulated, the more realistic the driving experience and the less room there is for such "gaming vices" - at first they might seem intrusive to one´s driving habits, but soon enough they become second nature and the driving all around more realistic.

Of course, as we´d seen with tire damage, some calibration / elaboration may also be required in the early days of these new models (keeping in mind we´re still in Early Access).

Engine braking as seen in those videos from the StockV8 are very much possible since the latest v0.8.71 (funnily enough a couple of real drivers were amongst the complainers since the update from earlier on yesterday :p)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  9. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

Straight from the authority eh!? :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Marc Collins

I'm still curious as to when it was erroneously preventing shifts. Some people said they couldn't even do granny shifting!

Renato, any chance this "feature" will get tied to skill level, so people who don't like it and/or who have engine damage turned off can have unlimited and unrealistic shifting as well?

11. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the same issue as LasseJO and not only on MR18 but with all cars.

12. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, i have posted it in the tread of the new build and i put it here also because i saw another poster with a similar issue in this tread, if its wrong, please Moderator delete it.

>I have a prob with 0.8.71r witch i didnt have in the passed builds, when i enter the car i have to put it in first gear then to start the engine, and then to full throttle with limiter on to get going. This is because when i am in gear standing with engine running, gaz pedal doesent rev, in neutral it does rev, i dont have autoclutch on and no other assists and this happens with all cars having seq boxes. Not talking about race start, as it is now i have to start on last row cause i need time to get the car starting, witch is really ennoying to say the least.
    Pedals are Fanatec CSR Elite, and yes this happens only in AMS.
    Of course as it should be with a seq box, i use the clutch when the engine is on to go in first gear :p

Anybody can help please?
    Thanks,
    Silvano

13. wowbagger

wowbagger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the same problem. Clutch in, in neutral, throttle works normal. Select first (clutch still in) throttle becomes unresponsive.

But - if I then switch up and down through the gears with the clutch in, then the throttle starts behaving normally and I can pull out of the pits.

14. Marc Collins

What you are talking about is 100% normal behaviour. That's the way the car works. You can't drive off in a sequential transmission race car without using the clutch to get moving. Sometimes, even using the clutch between first and second gear is advisable/necessary. Once you are moving at race pace, you don't need to use the clutch to shift up or down. If you spin off or lock the brakes, you better be prepared to use the clutch or the engine will stall. Welcome to race cars. It's still 100 times easier than using a traditional H-pattern shifter with clutch every time.

There is a very simple solution to the issue if you do not have a clutch pedal on your controller, or you do not want realistic clutch operation: just choose the "Auto clutch" aid and the car/sim will do it for you.

I just tested this with and without Auto clutch to confirm that it works properly as it should in both modes. And the throttle is not "unresponsive" by the way. You stalled the engine. If you give it appropriate revs before carefully releasing the clutch, you will pull away without stalling the engine.

15. wowbagger

I believe you have misunderstood the issue. Sorry if my description was cryptic.

The problem is that even with the clutch fully disengaged, as soon as I select 1st gear the throttle no longer responds. You have to keep the clutch disengaged and switch up and back down through the gears before the throttle responds again and you can engage the clutch and pull away. Is that more easily understood?

I'm using Fanatec pedals with a clutch (and I've been driving a manual transmission for 30 years ;) ).

16. Marc Collins

Yes, that is clearer. Does it do this with auto clutch both on and off? There must be some setting or glitch that is causing this, because for most of us it works as is should. And it sounds like you're not the only one experiencing this issue.

17. Bert vanJ

Bert vanJ New Member

Switching to auto start fixed my stalling problem

18. wowbagger

After more testing I can reconfirm this issue for me.
    -Throttle works properly in neutral.
    -When I disengage the clutch and shift into 1st, the throttle no longer affects the engine - however the green throttle response shows that the game is registering input from the throttle.
    - If I shift up to second, or higher there is still no difference. As soon as I downshift to any gear the engine starts to respond to the throttle input. The clutch has been disengaged throughout all of this.

It happens in both the AE release and the beta.
    It occurs in the Marcas, SuperV8s, MetalMoros, and sometimes in the Stock Cars. The formula cars seem unaffected.
    It happens with autoblip on and off. Switching to autoclutch removes the problem.
    It occurs using both my pedals (fanatec clubsport) and when using the keyboard.

I checked local file cache integrity and updated - no difference.

19. Smiggie

Smiggie Member

Did you try to deactivate the pit limiter?

20. wowbagger

Yes. Thanks for the suggestion.
    This seems to be a semi-known issue - several people have mentioned it in the beta forum.