GT3 Gen 2 On Throttle Oversteer

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by stu elliott, Jan 17, 2024.

1. stu elliott

stu elliott New Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing on throttle oversteer with the new gen 2 gt3 cars, especially the bmw?

2. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, the Bmw is quite prominent to oversteer on throttle, but it's mostly from too much throttle aplication, in ams2 you have more torque than you think at low throttle, be carefull when going on the loud pedal.

The complete opposite is the porsche, that one has alot of rear grip so it's easier to control the oversteer

• Like Like x 1
  3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Try lowering the clutches

4. stu elliott

stu elliott New Member

Thanks Inkta, I will take that advice into consideration in future
    Thanks again for the reply

5. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't make any sense to me...? :confused:

The more clutches, the stronger the effect of the differential - and vice versa. If the differential isn't acting strong enough on throttle, the appropriate action would be to lower the ramp angle on throttle response, resulting in more diff lock, iirc. At least that has always worked for me when I was struggling with putting the power down on corner exit.

(One could also look into adjust preload and other things to get the diff response to feel smoother or more abrupt, but most of the time lowering the ramp angle should suffice IMHO.)

EDIT: Increasing the number of clutches could also help, but keep in mind that will also increase the diff response while coasting, so you may want to compensate by slightly increasing the coast ramp angle accordingly (or you'll potentially end up with a lot of oversteer while off-throttle.)

6. Racinglegend1234

Well I lowered the clutches in the Cadillac LMSh and that made it easier to handle. A higher power angle (less locking) makes the car more drivable. I had this discussion before and that’s the conclusion I got

7. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

The reason this worked well for the LMDh is that those are by default prone to understeer. By reducing the clutches and/or increasing the ramp angle you actually increase the tendency to oversteer on throttle application - which is actually desirable for these particular cars to some degree. When I first tried them I think I did something similar with the diff in order to combat the chronic understeer. They're not as bad anymore though, I think. :)

8. Racinglegend1234

I lowered the amount of clutches to eliminate on power oversteer, and it worked. @CrimsonEminence can maybe help

9. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are a few different ways to reduce power oversteer, one is to reduce the number of clutches. I always just tweak ramp angles if necessary. Wondering if the oversteer comes from cold tyres though as Reiza removed tyre warmers for GT3 Gen2. I haven't noticed exaggerated oversteer in that class tbh, nothing unexpected at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Racinglegend1234

I’m doing it in TT so the tyres aren’t that cold, but they get quite a bit of oversteer. The thing might also be the TC, but IDK

11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

diff settings.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. Racinglegend1234

13. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Simply reduce the throttle and brake sensitivity to 0 or very low values. This means you can accelerate much earlier and more aggressively and are less likely to oversteer. The "sensitivity" values of the gas and brake are set far too sensitive out of the box. I don't need ABS or TC on these cars. I agree with you that there is no problem with oversteer on these cars

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

According to most/all default setups then Power ramp angle is allways higher than Coast angle.
    Which according to the posted help menu pics above should give lower locking at acceleration and higher locking at deacceleration.
    But what is missing in this not so helpfull help menu is if the result under corner entry/exit & deacceleration/acceleration will be more oversteer/understeer.
    That would be helpfull.

ByTheWay: The info about over/under 90 degr is close to nonsense. Because a value of 90 is impossible to reach in any setup menu.:rolleyes:

15. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

If you have on throttle oversteer out of corner you want to reduce the locking effect of the diff, not increase it.

Decreasing the locking effect (less clutches, or bigger angle) of the diff lowers the overall torque difference the rear axle can experience. Out of turn, the inner wheel is unloaded, so it has less grip and will start slipping first. After that, the more closed the diff is, the more torque difference there can be between inner and outer wheel. More torque on the outside wheel means that the outside wheel is creating a rotating force on the car (because it is pushing the car forward more strongly than the inner wheel). The bigger the difference, the bigger is the force is.

Ofc, because you're limiting your torque, you're limitting your acceleration. So a car that is stable with a more closed diff might accelerate faster from the corner, because it is able to get more power down.

On braking, the effect of the diff is opposite. Closed diff is forcing the wheels to rotate at the same speed, stabilizing the car (as in a turn they need to move at different speed). It is also preventing the inner wheel lock-up, which would reduce the grip, and create an uneven braking force, resulting in a quick spin.

On final note, the setup screen in AMS 2 is different from what is typical in racing sims. In most sims bigger values => more locking. It is the opposite in AMS 2, because AMS 2 it is not the locking strenghth, but the angle you're settings.. and the more angle, the less locking force.

The angle is (afaik) the angle of the pressure ring.

[​IMG]
    In a clutch LSD, as you apply power or brake, the pionon cross shaft applies force (either up or down) on the pressure ring, which are connected to the clutches, which force the wheels to rotate at the same speed. The steeper the angle, the less of the pinion force is transfered to the clutches. At 90 degrees, it would be a flat surface, so there would be no force on the clutch plates, thus an open diff.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Important note here. In GT3, the cars we're talking about here, you can't ajust the power and Coast angles, you can only adjust the preload and clutches, so it's pretty pointless to discuss them here.

If you experience too much rotation on throttle in slow corners, the best thing to do is to reduce the locking effect of the diff, this will tend to create understeer at low speed but also increase oversteer at high speed, in my experience it's usually the slow corners where most people have problems. Also in the GT3 g2, in the 1.5.5.1, it seems to me like rear camber is set way to low, -1.5 deg where it should be around -3 deg, this can also be used to further reduce the oversteer in my experience, tested it at Barcelona. Also, presures at the moment are set for tyres with tyre warmers, since the removal of the tyre warmers the pressures should be set much lower, around 1.5 bar on cold tyres seems to be a correct number.

But the important bit is that setup work is very subjective, some people preffer understeery cars and others oversteery, if you set a car for understeer and then you feel like the car doesnt turn it will make it more difficult to drive.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

18. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

I tested the BMW M4 GT3 this weekend and I think two simple setups tweaks are enough to make it more stable on throttle:
    I increased the preload to 120Nm and reduced the clutches to 4.

If you want to make it even more stable, you can lower the front suspension values and raise the back suspension values, all for one or two clicks.

Really important is the tire temperature and I wonder what the ideal temp for the GT3 Gen2 tires is? The tires are "green" in the HUD from 60 to over 90° degree, I feel most comfortably at around 80°. Over 90° I think the tires are to hot and unpredictable & I lost control because of some snap oversteer.
    Don't be afraid to use TC! Higher values for cold tires, lower values for warm tires. I almost never turn TC off but use low values instead.
    Edit: Set the car display to display the tire temps instead of the pressures!

I also thinkt that the used Pedals make a big difference and I use Asetek Forte Pedals. I have set the gas pedal setting to a linear setting, which is the most comfortable to me.

A little bit off-topic: Wasn't it Max Verstappen who said something like "the more stable the car feels the slower it is?" :whistle:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

By increasing preload and reducing the number of clutches you kind of cancel both steps out because the first step sets the car up for oversteer on corner exit, and the second step has a less locking effect making the car less oversteery.

I agree, nobody should be afraid of using TC. ^^ TC is part of racing, so I don't even know why you'd want to turn it off unless you're an esports alien and think it slows you down.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  20. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

Thanks for your explanation! Maybe lowering the preload and increasing the clutch just gives me an overall better feeling.
    I will definitly try to use other settings for these values next weekend (I‘m a weekend driver :D).
    Which settings would you recommend for a less understeering car than? Clutch and preload reduced?