The FOV topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by OlivierMDVY, Apr 24, 2017.

1. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello,

after fighting a lot of time finding what could be the right FOV for me, I've finally found it :rolleyes:

So, the best compromise, regarding my hardware (single 27in monitor, TrackIR), is 36 vFOV

Now I've found the peace :D:p

2. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Wonder what it should be for me using 3x 27in monitors o_O

3. hex

hex Damage, Inc. AMS2 Club Member

^ Here you can check it out with the FOV calculator.

4. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks ;)

5. Paul_73

Paul_73 Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's pretty cool video comparing a low FOV with higher, closer-to-standard FOV. I much prefer a lower FOV.

One problem with a lower FOV in AMS is that the angle of the T-cam is wrong and it just gets worse the lower the FOV goes. You can manually edit it for each car, but it can be a hassle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Valber Carvalho

Valber Carvalho New Member

Tenho um problema com o FOV! Uso três monitores de 24", quando regulo o FOV acima de 40 os monitores laterais aparecem no formato vertical como a abertura de portas, não funciona horizontalmente. Quanto maior o angulo, maior a abertura vertical e nada de apontar para o horizonte. Isso é um defeito ou o FOV do Automobilista é de origem vertical? Agradeço desde já a ajuda de todos.

7. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

I'm using a single 19'' monitor, and try a bunch of different configurations.

With FOV 40 or below, the car feels too slow and it is difficult to drive, feels like i'm not in control of the car.
    FOV 60 or above has the 'fish-eye' effect, and while it enhances what you can see around you, it's very difficult to be precise and constant.

Right now I'm using FOV 50 for my configuration. But, another problem rises: there's too much car interior on screen. The window becomes kinda small (Stock Car, for example, only 25% of monitor screen actually shows the track; the rest of it shows dash, wheel, hands, lateral column, the inside of the roof, etc).

So, now, I'm tweaking my seat position. For a couple of months now, Reiza double the amout of seat movement, so I'm moving my seat all the way forward in Stock Car, Boxer, Marcas, and other tin top series. This way, I see only the top dash and A LOT of windscreen. Boxer is even better, since its windshield is narrower and taller than Stock Car, I actually have up to 80% of monitor screen showing my windscreen. I put my seat higher also, so I can see the car's hood and have better corner attack angle.

Summing up, my numbers for all touring cars:

19'' single-monitor, 1366x768
    FOV: 50
    Seat: 100/25

8. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You need to give the lower FOV some time to get used to. It actually makes driving easier because as you mentioned the car seems to be going slower which gives you more time to react and hit the braking points and apexes easier. Try 35 which is what I use . Drive it for a hour or so to get used to it. Set seat to default which is 0

9. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This!

And i would recommend to lower FOV in small steps, and not in single big one. Lower the FOV about 5 degrees and drive with it 1-2 days. Then lower it another 5 degrees and so on. You'll get used to the lower (or more realistic) sensation of speed.

But nevertheless ..... with only a 19" monitor you'll have to find a personal compromise, because a real FOV will not be driveable with this small single screen. (Unless your monitor isn't more than 10 inch away from your head :D)