VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

For Oculus 2 users: with new software updates, try H265 Encoding with Sliced Encoding OFF, at least with Link Cable connection (Oculus Tray Tool).

In theory have a bit more latency, but here with a 3060Ti the results are much better than default (H264 and 5 Slices) at default 200 bitrate (more than this with H265 is terrible).

2. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I noticed you suggesting this to me in Facebook... didn't have time to try it, but I will later tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ernesto_171

With H265 I get rid of any fast moving objects artifacs for less than 5ms more. I like it a lot.

4. Cliff

Cliff Member

That's the way I went and it's a truly amazing experience. Everything runs butter smooth and the Quest 3's pancake lenses produce stunning clarity.

5. GFoyle

Tried it. It looks actually really nice, BUT on daytime, it cut my performance headroom being +35-50% to +5-15% and nightime to -50% !!! (so my fps was halfed). The only changes I did were the video code, sliced encoding off and encode bitrate to default. So basically, it doesn't make sense for me to use that. I don't know how it doesn't affect the same way for you .. maybe it's related to your more unique setup setup with Quest 2 that I can't even try because the 120hz option is not available to select and ASW doesn't really work without stutters.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Ernesto_171

Maybe works nice here with Q2 because I cap FOV .675/.275 and Q2 resolution is lower. Q3 deserves a Display Port option... :(

7. GFoyle

with the 40XX GPU cars, I guess you have that third encoder option... unfortunately I have just 3080 and not planning for upgrade anytime soon.

8. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

Unfortunately, I can't manage to control the menu with the buttons on the fanatec dd pro. Is it even possible?

9. Ernesto_171

Just for testing, you maybe can try these specific settings in Quest 3, plus lowering resolution a bit. In Quest 2, after more testings, the encoding is 4 to 5ms, transfer less than 1ms sometimes and decoding in Quest 5 to 6ms - better than using H 264 sliced encoding, the transfer speed with H 265 is much faster. Anybody with a Quest 2 I recomend try these settings someday to see how good is race with 120Hz and H 265 with lower latency.

10. Cliff

Cliff Member

Get a track ball.

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

I map mouse to wheel with joytokey

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

Thank you, i will try this. But i have no Clue what a track Ball is...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Cliff

Cliff Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

Okay, thank you very much. By the way, is there a solution for the flickering shadows in vr? I'm using a quest 3 with a 4080 and AMD 7700x with 64 GB RAM. I found the option to use openxr toolkit thanks to #UrsineSaturn9 but fear setting something wrong due to lack of knowledge.

15. Ernesto_171

Shadows ULTRA and MSAA HIGH. DonĀ“t mess with sharpening in config files. Max headset resolution and pray.

16. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

Thank you for your answer. I have set msaa to high and tried the shadows on low to ultra but nothing is really good. When I didn't have the opelnxr toolkit installed and I was connected via oculus link the shadows were slightly better. I think this was because I had set the resolution in the oculus app to 1.4 or 1.5. So turning up the resolution of the headset will definitely help. I'll probably tweak the settings a bit today, if not in the next few days, and report back if I find anything worth reporting.

17. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Shadows off. They look ugly AF on any setting in my Rift S. Maybe in a higher res headset you'll have more luck

18. Ernesto_171

Far shadow are ugly even in ULTRA and higher resolution, because AMS2 engine uses agressive shadows LOD. It's the price for great performance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can verify that a higher headset only make them look worse. I also turn shadows to OFF. The tree shadows on the track are simply horrible.

20. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Doesn't it look worse with shadows completely off ? I'd thought it would make the cars look out of place as if they were just levitating above ground without shadows.
    EDIT: I tested with Shadows - OFF, and it looks terrible.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1