VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

You need the openxr toolkit and opencomposite

Quickstart

2. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Check the timestamps of the log file. Sounds like it might just be from the last time you ran with VDXR. Before looking for OXRTK menus or log files though - check that OC is actually running. It has its own log file in %localappdata%\OpenComposite\logs

3. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Yes, I have both.

4. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Thank you, I will check that tomorrow

5. DayrFile

DayrFile Member

Hi Olivier,

I observe the same stripes as you, I found that one needs to hit certain resolutions. Please see my post on this below.
    I'm using ffr extensively, since it is a setting I can set on the fly (without reboot). So when fps go down, I can countercompensate by more aggressive ring settings in ffr.

Greetings

6. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

I'll have to test that. So you are using FSR from OpenXR Toolkit so not using CAS? If so do you change sharpening in the ini?

I just made the inner ring very large (80%) to get those artefacts out of my view, but will try setting inner and middle identical.

Hopefully can find the "magic" numbers for my headset

7. DayrFile

DayrFile Member

Yes, that's correct I'm using FSR. FSR should include a cas algorithm (maybe even identical).
    I myself, although knowing what FSR was doing, treated it for years like an anti-aliasing method, which is wrong and a complete waste of it's potential. I always set up a headset resolution and then added like 95% FSR on it, which improved slightly the fps. But that is not how it is meant to be used. It is a very efficient upscaler. That means the headset resolution needs to be as high as it still makes sense (you see I use ~3200 for my G2, which seems to be for the G2 the meaningful limit) and the FSR value as low as needed for good performance. The in game setting needs to have good anti-aliasing, like the MSAA 2x (the expensive one). Only then the CAS will increase sharpness, with the high headset resolution and will not increase the shimmering much. I use values around 30%.

In short: FSR will work best for low values <0.7 combined with headsets which offer very high resolution. (AMD even removed from a lot of presets the 0.95, since it doesn't make any sense, it even adds a few ms for processing).

Greetings

• Like Like x 1
  8. Djangopass

Djangopass Formula Vintage cars

Hi, I have just got a Quest 3, after a G2 that was brilliant but really fragile, and I´m guessing how and if I could use the Openxr as well.

9. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As mentioned a bit further up in this thread, you need to use this mod to stop AMS2 always launching in Oculus mode. GitHub - rodolZ80/bypass-oculus-detector: Windows Library that simulates not having the Oculus service running and having the VR Headset disconnected.
    With that DLL added, you should be able to use OpenComposite and OpenXR Toolkit like you did with the G2. Note, however, there's no free bump in performance just from avoiding SteamVR, as you were already avoiding it by going direct to Oculus. You can, however, use the toolkit for other benefits like FFR or upscaling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Djangopass

Djangopass Formula Vintage cars

Thanks. I have really tried to search before to write but I didn´t manage. Anyhow let´s what I can get out from Openxr or if it is better to let Oculus do the job.

11. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

without a doubt, openxrtoolkit will be best.

UI is nice and you can run changes on the fly

I use it with a Q2 but also Pico N3 Link. only issue is some artefacts occurring with the latest openxr implementation it seems, when you apply FOV options

• Like Like x 1
  12. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

@MickT
    I did check the log and you were correct, OC is not running. WTF am I doing wrong… I feel a fool to ask but how do I run OC then? Did the bypass DLL, OXR is running with its DLL in AMS/X64 but clearly OC not. Arrggghhh!

13. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

just did give it a go with my Q2.OC is kicking in and I get openxrtoolkit on display

got a META app update it seems overnight

upload_2024-2-7_22-36-28.png

14. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

I updated my OC today and now it no longer works. I get the message:
    upload_2024-2-7_14-47-10.png
    Nothing opens with OC

15. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

OC system wide install or single dll file in Game folder?
    I use the latter and it works still for me

16. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

single dll in folder.... However, I have already tried to replace them, but unfortunately it didn't work.

17. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

That’s strange

I remember Meta broke OC few months ago with the oculus v59 update
    And there is this 62 release coming in so that might be the issue?

18. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

It works again, I don't understand why, but it works. I have repaired the files of the respective games in Steam and then replaced the dll files again.

19. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

But does OC and OXR just start when you start AMS2 due to the DLLs? Are you using the bypass DLL too as I am trying to do this wired?

20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Yes and yes