Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Theseus

Theseus New Member AMS2 Club Member

I just loaded this up and WOW! This completely changed my AMS2 experience 1,000%. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and post for others.

2. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Although your file is not completely to my taste, I have to commend the fact that you are pushing the custom file to do new and interesting things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've yet to achieve all the goals I was looking for, but I'll keep trying the best I can ;).

• Like Like x 3
  4. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

How can the straight line oscillations be reduced? Min force in file and in game already on 0

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  5. Joaquim Pereira

I'll post a new version with (vastly) revised front suspension algorithm.
    A small change with big impacts (à la Reiza :)).

Keep in mind, unless proved wrong (I wish!!), I believe the FFB feedback loop (via USB, like we have on home PC) will never be stable enough for a high speed transition system. That can only be achieved with a local control loop in a dedicated system (the wheelbase electronics must be the only ones responsible for that stability, which is not the case).
    The alternative is to tame down FFB forces around the center or slow down (low pass filtering) fast FFB signals (I won't go that way o_O).

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  6. Fernando Zamora

Fernando Zamora Member AMS2 Club Member

Use default, no default plus, added ndp 5, nfr 3, nin 5 in your fanalab setup.
    I use a DD2 and zero oscillations with that setup. If I use default plus have terrible oscillations and can be very dangereous for my hands.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

I'm on rFuktor 5.0.1.3 and the oscillations used to be really bad, especially in braking zones.
    I love that profile, but at some point I switched out rims for a BMW gt2(v1, very heavy has vibration motors that you can set up to spin at wheel lock or something).
    Turns out that was enough mass to dampen out those oscillations to the point where it's barely a thing.
    I'm on a 8nm csl DD, so more potent bases will ultimately overpower that too.
    Seems my favorite ffb profiles always have an oscillation issue, like it's the price I pay or something.
    My point is, If you can get your hands on a heavy rim, it might mitigate that stuff more effectively than you thought at first.
    C if you can maybe find one 2nd hand.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wolke

Wolke New Member

thx for your work, your FFB file was a complete game changer for me! Finally enjoyable. You should have a sticky and prominent thread here not buried in hundreds of posts

oszillations are the only negative point

9. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to say that with v10 of Joaquims FFB file, i don't have much of a problem with oscillations anymore. Oscillations were much more pronounced with v8 and prior. I think v10 is a great improvment.:cool:

10. Wolke

Wolke New Member

that may depend on base? i cannot let go of the wheel, its going wild. :D i use fanatec recommended settings and joaquims strength recommendation. damping up or down is doing nothing

11. Joaquim Pereira

What's new:
    • Substantially revised front axel algorithm (better tracking, better weight transfer feeling)
    • Substantially revised rear axel algorithm (to mimic rF2's manners)
    • No more pseudo-gyro forces (rack forces already capture that very well)
    • Several adjustments (including removed excessive oscillations)
    • (please, read the notes - very important to achieve more pleasure and less pain...)
    Still to improve/implement:
    • (no roadmap)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 13
  12. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

While I had actually planned to put my G25 aside for a while I spent some time trying your latest file today. WOW is all I can say. It works well out of the box without the need to modify any settings in the file itself - after playing with the ingame settings I settled for 65/15/30/0, which seems to work great on most cars. Some require tweaking the per-car gain modifier by +/- 1-3 percent, but that's it.

Also, after playing the Beta the other day (where I still use Default+) I was pondering what the major differences between the stock FFB and your file are. To put it simply, the default FFB of AMS2 lets you know what that the car is doing, particularly with regards to the rear and its overall momentum. Your file on the other hand doesn't just let me know what the car is doing, but helps me make the car do what I want it to do! Simply put, it makes it easier to be precise and inspires more confidence, though the degree varies from car to car (but that's more related to the cars themselves rather than the FFB). For example, I just tried the Porsche 963 LMDh today using your latest file and holy smokes, the feedback is among the best I have ever experienced in any sim for such a car!

I'll leave it at that for now as I probably won't be spending much if any time behind the wheel for a while. Major kudos to you for your continued work on the FFB, it is greatly appreciated. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Like I already mention in private message, I like this version a lot. Didn't have time to try it out with more than couple of cars doing couple of races, but it's really good just based on those alone and clearly the best version of yours I have tried out this far.

(the v10 that came before felt very different, so even if that wasn't your thing, I encourage to give this one a try too).

• Like Like x 2
  14. dMASS

dMASS Member AMS2 Club Member

amazing work man! my new fav ffb. For my taste I just removed engine and abs vibes, kept everything else as is. Using linear for ffb scale on my wb is not something I ever do, but works very well with your custom, peak certainly feels wrong image1.png rn_image_picker_lib_temp_4e9ded17-b760-4567-a631-633268f9c897.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joaquim Pereira

It was called to my attention by @GFoyle that v10 Gen1 was producing (very) low frequency oscillations in Barcelona's main straight.
    I tested that combo and was able to reduced to insignificant levels using the changes below. @GFoyle confirmed the same results.
    Because of different suspensions geometries/forces, this could be used/needed for some cars. As posted here, I've done most of my tests with McLaren 720s GT3 (the rational: if 'dull' cars can feel good, so will all the others :cool:) . Also tested LMDh Porsche and DPi that felt both very strong as this v11 puts much more forces in the middle range (the overall forces will feel much stronger).

Here's the FFB histogram in Barcelona main straight (almost a Normal/Gaussian Distribution):
    upload_2024-2-20_17-55-12.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________
    To reduce forces related to weight transfers, try this...
    Replace:
    (rack_damp damping_slider) # damping [0-1]
    with:
    (rack_damp 0) # damping [0-1] #was damping_slider

and replace:
    (rack_coarse_lfb (+ rack_coarse_lfb (* wt_factor adhesion_front_scaled)))
    with:
    (rack_coarse_lfb (+ rack_coarse_lfb (* wt_factor damping_slider adhesion_front_scaled)))

Now, put damping slider at 70 and vehicle-specific gain at 100%. There you have it!
    Adjust the damping slider at will, it no longer represents damping but forces from front suspension.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

The need for addicional FFB sliders kicks in once again... :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. AlejandroC

AlejandroC New Member

Hi Joaquim!

I have been trying your file with my Fanatec CSL DD 8nm and I want to know how to adjust the gain properly. I am using a neutral config in the Fanatec control panel with FFB scale set to LINEAR. Thing is I get a too light FFB for my taste, and I have trying to correct that increasing the per-vehicle FFB gain beyond 100%, keeping the settings at the control section at 65-0-20-0. Is changing the vehicle gain the correct way to adjust this? Or can I play with the general gain setting too?

Thanks for your work!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried peak FFB?

18. AlejandroC

AlejandroC New Member

Yes, with PEAK I find it stronger, but I am not sure if it is the correct setting for this file.

19. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

This file feels very good. It brought out the self aligning forces that have been missing on your previous files for my Logitech G pro racing wheel DD.

I really like what you have done with the effects.

Only problem for me is that it gets a bit dangerous if you hit a wall or something. Also off road is a little wild, but i am assuming if you tone down those forces, it would take away from the very good on road effects that can be felt.

Anyways, great stuff! Just wish i could somehow tone down the collision effects.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Joaquim Pereira

Yes, that's the correct way. The gain at 65 already puts cars in the correct ballpark (clipping breafly on high stress situations) then vehicle-specific FFB corrects to taste.

Yes, it can be if not setup like I suggest. I prefer to limit the torque at wheelbase to something I find acceptable/safe, and let the sims whatever they want (even crazy stuff like rF2 does between sessions :confused:). Those crash jolts really had to realism, but need to be controlled as suggested.
    I had a TS-PC before and used to say that the dangerous thing is the one with a killing switch :whistle:. Now that I have a DD, those words remain valid. That's the one we should get under control.

Your other suggestions make sense, put a like here.
    I would be glad to have 6-10 parameters/sliders available to allow amplitude for different tastes.

• Like Like x 2