Asetek wheelbase and rims

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F1Aussie, Feb 8, 2024.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all, I am thinking of moving away from fanatec after the train wreck that has been the last 4 - 5 months from them and Asetek looks very enticing.
    Does anyone here have an Asetek wheelbase and rim setup and if so what are your thoughts about it and does it work without issue in AMS2?
    Cheers
    F1A

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

I don‘t have a Wheelbase/ Rim from Asetek, but I got the Forte Pedals and even if the brake-pedal is not a real load cell, I‘m pretty happy with it.
    It feels nice, the build quality is really good & the software is constantly updated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

4. sillib

sillib New Member

Just switched from fanatec to Asetek, I ve got the invicta bundle, and it all feels superb!
    Don t have much to mention at the moment since it is all very fresh, but my first impressions are more then positive.
    Even though I haven t calibrated everything, I can say that it works well with AMS so far.

5. olilem

olilem New Member

I highly recommend Asetek as well. I love my Forte kit, and have been very happy with it in all sims.
    Prices vary so if you find good deals with other manufacturers, that's also a good option, but if you're set on Asetek, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    The wheels don't picture well, but look great in real life.

6. F1Aussie

How are you finding it compared to fanatec? Did you have a DD1 / 2?

7. F1Aussie

The thing that attracts me about Asetek is the number of compatible wireless wheels. Fanatec take forever to release new wheels and except for the few higher end ones they are very samish and I find some of them pretty basic nowadays compared to things like cube controls and simlines range. I likecrhw look and some of the clever things about simagic but am not sure how reliable the wireless connection is?

8. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I had a DD1 with the Podium Porsche rim.

The first big difference for me was the lack of flex in the wheel. The Asetek feels a fair bit more solid.

I had been having buttons and paddles dropping out on the old rim for 2 years. I had tested new bits for all but the rim itself and had no luck.

The wheel itself is now a lot closer, by 160mm from memory, to the monitor, which meant a lot of readjustments to my rig.

The FFB feels way more alive. I expect that is just 4 years of technology.

The only downer right now is not all the buttons are recognised in AMS2.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I think Fanatec is in serious problems. The users are leaving in big numbers.
    And entirely justified, of course. I have Fanatec gear as well and I like it but when I have to replace it, I don’t know if I would choose Fanatec again. It was a good company but went down hard the last couple of years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I will definitely have a look at what the Finnish guys at Simucube have if some of my gear breaks

• Like Like x 1
  12. F1Aussie

Thanks for that info Todd, the Asetek certainly sounds impressive, I am also throwing the Simagic Ultra into the mix now, I like their QR and a couple of their rims look great too.

13. Kuku

I’ve had an alpha mini for years , it’s rock solid and though I only have the one basic GTS wheel , it’s built like a tank .
    I think it comes down to Asetek and Simagic are pretty much equal to each other , though Simagic software is in a constant beta cycle of updates , but getting pretty good now .
    If you went Asetek. Just make sure you list your address with a big bold AUSTRALIA ….
    You wouldn’t want it to end up in Austria or something….

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. F1Aussie

Thanks for that info, there is a Asetek distributor in Australia. I must admit I much prefer the look of the Simagic wheelbase, QR and wheels that are available over the Asetek. I have read that the Simagic software has come a long way in the last few months. Will from boosted media is meant to be doing a review of the Simagic ultimate/ultra soon so might see what he says about it. He raved about their new Neo wheel that just released. I saw his review if the Asetek Invicta and he was seriously impressed by how it performed but there were a number of teething issues. I dont think they are as mature a system as simagic are yet.

15. Racinglegend1234

I don’t like Asetek so much since, to me, they’re a lot like Fanatec in the way of having a closed ecosystem. You have to run wheels with their own QR and there isn’t an adapter (AFAIK) and their marketing is odd. Saying a lot of things about race car pedals and then selling a pedal which is basically a potentiometer as a load cell pedal. Their round wheel is also designed in a way so you can’t use any wheel with it so I wouldn’t buy from them since I see them as another Fanatec-like company with better marketing and software

16. Kuku

Yeah Will had a pretty decent prejudice against Simagic for a while , but eventually gave them a second look and the quality turned him 180 degrees and that’s impressive in its own way.

Im keen to get the Neo one day , I think between that and the versatile GTS , that’s all I’d ever need .

17. Kuku

well the better way to look at it is, they have developed a Universal QR that allows the use of any wheel … which is something Simagic have dabbled in now too .

which is the complete opposite of Fanatec that blocked the possibility.

18. Racinglegend1234

But can I buy the QR and connect it to any wheel I want? Fanatec still have the possibility of doing so using an adapter

19. F1Aussie

That is interesting, did not know that about Asetek. I saw something the other day about them having other manufacturers that make steering wheels for the Asetek bases that use their QR and wireless systems to increase the range of compatible wheels.
    Any idea about how the Simucube wireless system works? Have not been able to find much about it.

20. Racinglegend1234

I don't know a lot either, but AFAIK you can buy their QR system