AMS2 Dedicated Server Tool / SteamCMD Support

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dave Stephenson, May 29, 2020.

1. Wutzmann

Wutzmann New Member

If I start the server with the option "sportsPlay: true", it remains at
    "[2024-01-09 17:22:50] INFO: Dedicated server is starting..."
    and does not start.

With "sportsPlay: false" he starts...

2. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How do you know its not starting? Sportsplay requires you to start the game with a command line option to be able to see the server ingame, so if your starting your game in the regular way, that might be why you don't see it.

Why are you trying to use Sportsplay if you don't mind me asking?

3. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

afaik with sportsplay you cut the dependency to steam.
    So as long as nobody connects to the server with sportsplay feature, there will be no new message
    You'll have to add the ip_adress and port into the launch parameters of the game or start it with a cmd or batch to connect to that server.
    eg -sportsplay 192.168.0.220:27015 if thats the IP and open port on your DS
    If the DS should be reachable from outside you'll have to create a portforward on your router and the iP adress must be that WAN adress of your router. Makes only sense if you have a fix IP from your provider.
    Also you should know, a sportsplay server is not public anymore. It can only be found, if the users have the right ip and port at launch. Originally it was developed for inhouse use, but with the right setup it works over the internet too.

4. Wutzmann

Wutzmann New Member

If I start the server without "sportsPlay: true", the message also appears:
    "INFO: Server startup finished: AppId 1066890, public IP xx.xx.xxx.xx, Steam id 90179447465031691 ; switching to running state"

I wanted to use sportsPlay to make it easier for our people to find the server.

5. Roy Niessink

Yeah, it still gets affected if steam goes offline though, unless everyone connects with Steam in offline mode, otherwise when steam goes offline people will still get disconnected.

We ran several tests with this during the first season of the ams2 community cup.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Roy Niessink

It doesn't really make it a lot easier tbh, they need to start their game differently, they still need to go into the multiplayer server list, only plus is that your server shows up at the top of the list.

Personally using the filter to filter by (a part of) the servername is a much easier way imho

• Like Like x 3
  7. Wutzmann

Wutzmann New Member

Does anyone know what you can do with the parameters "PenaltyValue" and "PenaltyThreshold"?

8. Wolfgang Herold

i assume Treshold is this
    upload_2024-1-12_0-35-35.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. GeekyDeaks

GeekyDeaks Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all. Can someone point me in the right direction to where I can find the dedicated server log files that we are supposed to submit when encountering problems? I have searched the forum for details but I'm not having much luck finding anything other than seeing posts of people asking where to send them, not where to find them. Actually, just thinking out loud, is it something you have to enable?

We had a big turnout last night using the new content and it actually went really well, but we had one brief lag spike near the start that I'd like to checkout if possible and correlate to the server load.

10. Wutzmann

Wutzmann New Member

I thought that would be "AllowedCutsBeforePenalty"

11. Roy Niessink

The mentioned logfile can be found inside the documents/automobilista2/logs folder, be aware though, there is only 1 file there, and it gets overwritten as you restart ams2/do multiplayer again.

Its not necessary a dedi server log, more a game/connection log tbh

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. GeekyDeaks

GeekyDeaks Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh, it's client side! - totally missed that bit....

Thank you!

13. Wolfgang Herold

ah ok. Could be.
    Maye the 2 are older settings that are not used anymore.
    Sorry, can't help

14. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Ok upon more testing in our league, we are noticing more netcode related incidents when rarely had any in the past. Eg:
    Contact shows on one players screen.
    No contact shows on another players screen.
    So I'm guessing whatever changed the netcode for DS MP got worse.

15. Roy Niessink

ok, thats not something i have experienced in our league races, or have heard from others.

something definitely changed, not sure if it has to do with the added logging, currently 24 people on a dedi server seems to be the stable number, any higher and the chances of disconnections increasing rapidly.

quite a shame, especially since the interest in ams2 is increasing, we are currently running a championship with the clio cup mod, and we probably could get 30/32 people in each race, but we are limited because of the stability issues.

hopefully things will improve over the next months though, especially on a track like Le Mans, bigger grids make it a lot more enjoyable if you ask me.

16. Snooops

Snooops New Member

A little feature request :) Would you mind to try compiling the dedicated server on windows for arm once? And if it don't throws any errors, would you publish it :)
    Maybe a bit unconvieniant, and for sure you have different problems. But maybe you have 30mins to spin up some Windows on a Raspberry PI 4 and start compiling the source, maybe we are lucky to have some arm stuff ready to run AMS2 Dedicated on a Raspberry PI 4 for more energy savings :p

17. CptMilkeye

CptMilkeye New Member

I just installed a dedicated server form AM2 for my DCS group. It works great. But maybe I am missing something...

I was planning on having Friday practice, Q on Saturday and Sunday race (irl Friday, Saturday, Sunday). Set-up on a dedicated server, such that everybody would hop on from time to time on Friday or Saturday, do a few laps, hop off, come back later, do a few more ... etc, each time lap times being recorded. Is that not possible even with a dedicated server? Once user disconnects from the server, their progress is erased and they start over even if server keeps going?

18. Roy Niessink

Yeah, with the dedi the session is only active if someone is on the server, if everyone leaves, and the someone joins, it starts all over again.

Ofcourse with a dedicated server you do get a results file, so you can always see previous times.

We use JustRace.net as a platform for our races, which has a "combined results" page, basically showing the fastest laptime per driver on that server across sessions.

19. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre Member AMS2 Club Member

Solved

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  20. Racing Bears TV

Racing Bears TV Member

Is anyone having a problem with the server not appearing in the list of servers to connect to, after the last update of the dedicated server?

• Agree Agree x 4