Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Watching a replay of a session with ‘Private Session’ selected shows all the other cars on the track and the subsequent ghosting/phasing through with each car.
    • Car / Track used: N/A.
    • AI Strength setting: N/A.
    • AI Aggression setting: N/A.
    • Session Distance: N/A.
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Medium cloud.
    • Player Tyre: Slick.
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): N/A.
    • Type of session: All.

2. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

The Lotus 98T (and some other cars) driver helmet leans in the opposite direction (away from) of the corners.
    Semi-related: The template for this car seemingly doesn't allow for the cockpit cowling to be textured, and there's no Goodyear branding on the tyres.
    • Car / Track used: N/A.
    • AI Strength setting: N/A.
    • AI Aggression setting: N/A.
    • Session Distance: N/A.
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Medium cloud.
    • Player Tyre: Slick.
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): N/A.
    • Type of session: All.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Made a detailed video analyzing the current AI behavior, hopefully this is helpful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Grizzly

Grizzly New Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: Stock Car Opala 1979 at Tarumã Internacional
    • AI Strength setting:100
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Start/Finish straight
    • AI Aggression setting: Medium
    • Session Distance:throughout whatever the length the championship has.
    • Weather when the issue was observed:Light clouds
    • Player Tyre: Default for weather
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) Race
    When AI cars crest the hill at the start/finish straight, they slow down relative to the player when reaching the flat bit. They don't brake here, they just seem to not gain any advantage from the fact that they're no longer rolling up a hill.

5. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

AI still loves to go for rear tyres of car in front, turning it around.
    Instead of trying to move away from other car after contact, they go on with full throttle, trying to drive through other car. Like in this video below:

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. madchief

madchief Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Cars used: F Classic Gen 1
    • Track: Hockenheim 1988
    All AIs driving the F Classic Gen 1 Model 2 have retired on their outlap - possibly due to high turbo pressure blowing up their engine?

Also AI takes each out out in Ostkurve and Bremmschikane 2 same way as deadly's video above me, causing massive pileups every few laps making the track essentially unplayable vs AI

Attached Files:

• ret.jpg
      ret.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  7. RDG

RDG Active Member

Never was a fan of the AI as they always strike me as too artificial and scripted, but decided to try a race against the AI last night. Did an hour race in a mixed class LMDh and GT3² yesterday at Spielberg and currently two things bug me about the AI:

1. The tendency for the AI to go for gaps that aren't there. The amount of times the AI went for a gap and clipped my rear into the corner, requiring me to go full opposite lock to save the car was ridiculous. I spent the latter half of the race staring at the radar at every corner, just checking to see if the AI wasn't going to pull another suicide divebomb and ruin our races, and of course the final corner in the final lap, the AI tried again and this time I couldn't avoid it, spinning me around. The AI should try getting alongside other cars and outbraking them into corners, not stick their nose in mid corner.
    2. The AI follows other cars too closely in corners. Sometimes they are stuck to each other like glue almost. This looks very artificial. I don't know what the possibilities are in regards to this, but I would increase the slipstream effect and implement a minimum car distance in corners (or increase dirty air, but AI doesn't seem to be affected by that at all).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I have probably a lesser demanding need from the AI. Did a couple of AI races on Oulton Park and I have a blast of a time. Close combat racing. Ai set to 100 strength and max aggression. Had to fight to come along with the pack. As a pure SP guy I’m really happy the way the AI is atm. There is of course room for improvement but that counts for me as well. :D

9. pr07

pr07 Member

I'd add a third thing: They back out of very clear chances to overtake. Even when they have the inside line into a corner, and are completely side by side with the other car (front and rear axles almost aligned), they still lift off.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

It is weird because they are not afraid going side-by-side with the player, but they are afraid to do it against each other and it's why actual overtakes are very rare.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep, that hesitation and backing out of clear inside line overtakes seems to be a though nut to crack for the devs. It's like they are unable to do outbraking overtakes. It varies on a track by track basis and the aggression setting, but in my time playing the sim (a LOT) I can count on 1 hand the overtakes I have seen that resemble an outbraking maneuver. Both where in Interlagos on the first corner in the GT3 class.

Most overtakes by the AI between themselves seem to be on the apex of the corners, not on the beggining, oftentimes banging wheels. You can see this behavior clearly in Kyalami historic on the first corner, the AI on the inside has a clear overtake side by side, but instead of outbraking or even braking at the same time, they kinda break earlier, then push themselves on the inside on the apex (often banging wheels)and that's how they overtake.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

A spot where you can watch this inability to overtake by outbraking other car is in Imola 88. There is a very long full throttle section from start/finish straight through Tamburello/Villeneuve up to Tosa hairpin.

In real life races, fast cars just went by slower ones and overtook before the hairpin.
    In AMS 2, cars seem to move back to racing line way too early, ramming slower car in front quite often. Sometimes, they manage to overtake that way, but most of the time, they are just stuck behind slower car for many laps.

Edit: Another good spot to watch this behaviour of AI is start/finish straight at Spielberg GP:
    Should be a good spot for overtaking. But fast AI just goes beside slower one and then, instead of finishing the overtaking on the inside, they go back to racing line too early and just ram car in front a little bit.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

I did a 2hr race at Le Mans de la Sarthe with lmdh/gt3 gen2/GT4 last night. It highlighted not only that but also the inability for the AI to pass on straights. Up ahead brake lights flash, 2 lmdh cars with a gt4 in between, both unwilling to commit to the throttle and pass with 4 lanes available! I draft up behind them, and with a lane to spare, can overtake all 3 easily in a gt3 car. It really is quite laughable. Often the lmdh cars were stuck behind gt3/4 cars all the way from Porsche curves to the ford chicane. With traffic all mixed up late in the race there was a full course yellow. What a s**t show when the race restarts, gt4 cars go slow to allow lapping, still they can't pass. We bump and jostle our way to Arnage before clearing the traffic. Unfortunately it is the worst experience I've had in the game to date.

Don't get me wrong, I love how the game drives with 1.5 now mature, but the AI is very weak when it comes to committing to a clean overtake. Even with a massive speed advantage and all the space possible, the AI fail. I really hope this can be solved. Given how far AMS2 has come I still believe the genius team at Reiza can pull it off...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Further more to this, racing the GT3 at Bathurst and running Crew Chief, I'm being told "car left" and "Car right" when I'm directly behind the AI trying to get alongside, but I'm not yet overlapping. Could it be that the collision boxes are simply too big and this causes the "sticking" behaviour with the AI cars? Hope this gets looked in too one day, not a major issue but certainly can be a tad annoying at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Richirichi

Richirichi Member

Track: Hockenheimring 1988
    F1 Classic Gen 3
    AI Difficulty: 117
    Aggression: Medium
    Laps: 20
    Weather: sunny

The AI here are simply put, awful. They’re painfully slow on the straights and at the start, offering no resistance & are overtaken with ridiculous ease. Starting in Pos. 4, I managed to overtake all those in front, after the first straight, & was already 2.5 seconds ahead after the first chicane; it was as if the AI were lacking their turbos, or had engine problems, they were that slow, at diff: 117!!! The AI also cannot handle the first chicane, & wipeout regularly, causing mass collisions. I’ve had some excellent experiences with the AI in AMS2; but the combi’ classic F1 (Gen 3) at the Hockenheimring 88, is dire.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mazdaspeed

The glued to the AI car issue brings me nightmarish memories from PC1 and the Karts, how many rage moments I had due to being magnetized to the AI. AMS2 has a similar issue but on a much lower scale and it also depends on the angle of contact and car class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

Yes I have noticed that the AI and players car getting "glued" together, and the erroneous crew chief messages. I think it has been introduced very recently, possibly the last update or the one before. I'm pretty sure it wasn't present when the Endurance pack was first released. Is it possible to roll back to the previous release (or more) to access changes?

Furthermore, when multi class racing, it was very noticeable that the slower class AI used "lanes" and would leave space at the apex for the faster cars to pass. This behaviour has disappeared with the last update and is a backwards step.

I fully understand the WIP nature of the game, one step back can lead to two steps forward, however it leads to frustration from my perspective. I seem to remember reading a post from Renato that certain custom AI parameters have been disabled. It would be nice to know which! From my (recent) experience it would seem that both tyre wear and fuel consumption are disabled.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mazdaspeed

Here are the disabled parameters that I know of:
    • Tire management
    • Stamina
    • Fuel Management
    • Wet Skill
    Tire wear and fuel consumption are not AI skill parameters and they are not disabled, but are still not properly balanced on all classes.

19. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

:eek:

Thanks for the answer. Excuse my poor explanation of tyre wear/ fuel consumption vs tyre/fuel management as AI parameters. Wrong words, correct meaning! Having set these to extreme values, ie 0 or 1 and tested I deduced they were disabled. I also wondered why I was suddenly up to 2 seconds slow in the wet versus the dry against the (custom) AI, now this makes sense. Also that some are painfully slow towards the end of races, stamina!

This is very disappointing/frustrating. Having historically spent considerable time to balance the custom AI to my needs and have a competitive and enjoyable championship I find it all for nothing. Moreover the likes of Jusk who mod skins and AI for others to enjoy also have their valiant efforts undone. This, to me at least, is a bewildering decision. Why disable our only way to tune the AI to our liking? It renders the game somewhat useless to me. Unlike some, I have no interest in hotlapping, and due to where I live, no reliable internet connection for online multiplayer. How long must I wait to be able to enjoy this title again?

Words simply cannot convey how annoyed I am by this decision.:mad::(

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sputafuoco

Sputafuoco Member

• Car / Track used: Sprint Race / Gateway WWT raceway road course long
    • AI Strength setting: 112
    • AI Aggression setting: high
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear

WWT RACEWAY long.png

I tried the same race with the gt4 at 107 AI and it seemed fine apart from the chicane where they often try the suicide overtake