x4 tire wear

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by JavierZumaeta, Mar 5, 2024.

1. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

Is it pretty stable AI wise? does anyone have experience with it.

I'm gonna do a series of GT1 races, currently with x2 fuel and tire wear, and the AI always (unless it's a splash and dash) changes tires. Depending on the track the player can easily double stint them, which can provide a big advantage, so to keep things fair and challenging, I thought of doing x4 tire wear to give a reason to change tires each time, but still make double stinting possible though with an obvious drawback of lower performance.

Has anyone tried it?

2. pr07

pr07 Member

In the first stint it'll be great, everyone will need to change tires, and you will be affected by the tire wear very significantly. From the second stint onwards, your new tires will ignore the x4 acceleration and wear at normal rate, which kills the need to change them, and any race with pit stops as a result.
    This bug has happened to me in every single race I did in 5 months now, and I feel like I just didn't do enough races to notice it before.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. JavierZumaeta

oooh, what about x3? x2 has worked very well for me for a loong time now.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  4. pr07

pr07 Member

Well, the bug happened to me regardless of what acceleration I was using, so if your game is working fine with 2x, maybe the bug isn't affecting you. Try it out with 4x and 3x to make sure, and if everything works, do it in whatever way you think works best.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. JavierZumaeta

Okay so I tried it out! tldr - x3 is the way to go. This is what I experienced.

Fuel at x2 so that I can experience pit strategy with GT1 cars on a reasonable time frame. Test made at LeMans

x2 Tire wear. AI pits for tires every time, uses the full tank of fuel.
    x4 Tire wear. AI's pace was just fine but they pit for tires much more often than is needed. They still had 3 more laps of fuel available, giving the player a big advantage pitting more often.
    x3 Tire wear. The goldilock zone - most cars pit like they do at x2, except for a few who felt compelled to pit 1 lap early - so some variation in pit strategy! There was enough tire wear to make double stinting possible but there would have been a sizeable drop in performance. Depending on wear, doule stinting tires might, or might not, be faster.

Tried again at x3 at Indy road, and the whole field pitted as expected, using their full fuel, with tires being a performance factor giving options.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2