Low downforce car variant question

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by RonRoyce, Mar 18, 2024.

1. RonRoyce

RonRoyce New Member

Hello

if you select a track that defaults certain cars to their low downforce variant (example Spa Historic) how have people logged times on the time trial with non LD cars? Additionally, I cannot seem to match the S2 time of the fastest car (non LD) with my LD car if I select Formula Ultimate Gen2. My S1/S3 times are both better. This section is flat out, no throttle lift. Tried wings at 0/0 but that's not it. You can't do anything with the drive train as it's already maxed out, Brake and engine vents closed/20% open and yet the best I can get is within 3/10ths of that S2 time. The car is pretty much redlined through the whole sector, the only thing left is the right hander at Stavelot where you scrub off a little speed but the throttle remains at 100%.

I saw the same with the LMDh cars too.

Am I missing something?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Shouldn't be possible to do laps without the LD version on LD tracks, if it is possible I assume it's a bug..

3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

You are correct it is not possible to load a non low downforce on a mandatory LD track - NOW.
    But on some tracks the LB does show some laptimes without the LD message.
    I guess its some older laps made with an older setup before it became mandatory to be forced a LD setup.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. RonRoyce

RonRoyce New Member

Yeah I kinda thought it would be that times were set before the LD cars came online.

The bit I'm struggling with is how the non-LD car is faster in a straight line. Not by a lot, 3/10ths but in the scheme of things that's quite a chunk of time you cannot make up, even with no wing and going into that sector already at max speed (221mph) and only really scrubbing any speed at stavelot - I exit that corner at 200-205mph scrubbing as little speed as I can. It's almost like the non LD driver isn't scrubbing off any speed at all.

You can't see his ghost run as he has deleted or disabled it.

5. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

It's possible the many physics updates that happened in the meantime could also affect this. Like for example the new physics having a higher rolling resistance, so lower top speed?