AMS2 HISTORIC CONTENT. HOW IS IT IN 2024

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Maser V6, May 18, 2024.

1. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Any thoughts, video, ect on the range of historic racing in the sim are welcome here.
    How has it evolved for you over the current year?

CLASSIC RACING
    '80s F1. Monaco!! 2024

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

IMO there should have been more additions to historic endurance and touring cars from the 60s and 70s, but I only think that because I like those the most :)

Other than that, I think AMS2 has one of the most comprehensible roster of historic cars ans tracks among the current gen of sims. The continuous updates to the engine and tires especially has made the cars ever more interesting to drive, the tracks are lovingly crafted and we even got obscure layouts like the Betonschleife. I'm very happy with all of that.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Maser V6

Thanks for reply and feedback.
    I have only been able to follow updates on forum (& not behind wheel) for a while now and am so please Renato is a big fan of historics and he with the team have as you say continued with the big updates across all classes.
    Yes hopefully more will come.
    Have fun:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Historic content is the best for me and one of the biggest thing why I stay with AMS2.
    But the biggest shame is: cars and tracks you know well because you grow up with them are listed as historic now:eek:
    Yes, I love the historic tracks with no paved runoffs. The high curbs need a perfect line and no running over them wihtout any mind.
    Cars, they are incredible. One the one side no grip, on the other side so much. The same with power. You feel that these cars were experminetal cars and no ruled mishmash.
    Having more historic tracks/variants of current would be great.
    Getting some sports cars (like CanAm) from 1960s/70s would be a great addition.

And if Reiza trust to go a step further back maybe some early 1960s or 1950s cars/tracks. But I think Reiza will have issues to simulate right the behaviour of hedges and hayballls when hitting them;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maser V6

I could not agree more. Same IRL this end, older cars.
    Taming some wild beast with not wizardry is hard to beat for the thrill in a sim. All for the can-am and older proto's. Love to see some old Gt40 variants as well. I am sure after not being able to try for so long AMS2 will feel like a new sim to me, given the updates since I last was able to drive.
    Have fun.:)

6. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Speaking of historical content, I noticed that the vettel's mp4/8 had a object that seemed to me to be a sound recorder, would that be it?

upload_2024-5-20_15-46-8.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I love historic racing, and I hope AMS2 will grow enough in historic content to eventually allow me to uninstall rFactor 2, which I'm still relying on for some of its unique historic content.

Missing tracks/layouts:

This is perhaps where AMS2 is the strongest compared to its sim racing competitors. The quality of the historic tracks is outstanding, and the amount is substantial enough to be able to represent a significant part of a season for each vehicle class in the game. Even if we don't get a single new bit of track content ever, I could keep racing historic content in AMS2 for a long time.
    What to me seems like the most glaring omissions of historic layouts are:
    • historic Le Mans (announced 1970s and 1990s),
    • historic Azure (teased 1980s)
    • 1990s Nürburgring (for Group A+C, GT1, and F-Classic up to F-V10G2)
    • 1990s Kyalami (announced)
    Of course I wouldn't mind getting some completely novel historic locations as well ;)

Missing vehicle classes:
    Looking at the current content, I have a couple of thoughts on how AMS2 could best expand with new historic vehicle classes that fit the existing historic tracks.
    • Le Mans content – 1970s historic layout has been announced, but we have no vehicles to race there, except maybe the GT Classics. I'm thinking we need something similar to what was featured in Project Cars 2.
    • Le Mans content, part deux – 1990s historic layout has been announced, but we only have one vehicle class to race there: GT1. That seems a bit limited for such an effort of research and modeling that historic layout… Meanwhile, Group C does not have a 1980s layout to race on. I think we need to see a bit more content somewhere, for the puzzle pieces to fit together.
    • Every major era of F1 – Just missing the very first era: 1950s (front-engined, and/or the front vs. mid-engined mixed seasons). The Formula Junior is pretty much equivalent to the slower cars in the 1961 season that had underpowered engines.
    • Other classes that fit the existing historic track content well: Can-Am, 1990s BTCC

Missing vehicles in existing classes:
    A couple of current historic vehicle classes are very sparsely populated, and need at least one if not two additional vehicles:
    • each of the Vintage Touring Car classes
    • the GT Classics

Features:
    Part of the charm of historic racing is the lack of radio communication and digital information that's fed to the driver during the race. What we need is a way to race completely HUD-less, including:
    • Animated flag-wavers, especially the checkered flag
    • A person holding a big physical lapcount/position/relative information board when you pass the pits to keep you informed, as a replacement for the basic HUD information that is lost when racing HUD-less

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa Active Member

Could it be this 360° camera?

I'm not allowed to put the video here, but if you type on YT "vettel senna 360" you should find it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I believe in moders

they would bring historical content in if Reiza can’t

10. Lab Pong

Lab Pong OG Sim'er

You have a little bit of this, a little of that. But nothing complete or fun after a few runs.

11. Maser V6

Yes Same for me.
    Thanks for your reply & detailed thoughts.:)

12. Mhershey84

Mhershey84 New Member

I was watching the Six Hours of the Glen this afternoon and it got me thinking about with the IMSA partnership how great it would be to get some historic versions of the US tracks.

Sebring, Road Atlanta, and Laguna Seca all have some fun historic layouts that I rarely if ever see in sim racing.

Road Atlanta:

Laguna Seca:

I couldn't find any old onboards of Sebring, but there are a variety of layouts to pick from:
    Sebring

It would also be cool to get some historic versions of tracks where the layout has not changed. I don't think I've ever seen a historic take on Road America for example but it would be great to have a version with 60s/70s/80s atmosphere. Post 1970 Watkins Glen might also fit in here.

And its probably a bit optimistic but a few more Group C/IMSA GTP additions and maybe a Can-Am pack would compliment those tracks perfectly.

On the more modern side, a couple more cars for GT1 and maybe even some LMP900/675 would help fill out that era as well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Emà!!!

Emà!!! New Member

Totally agree with your list. I also miss more than the others, Magny Cours and a proper version of Mugello and Fuji (i know there are the mods ones... And i also know that historically Mugello is more a bike track, even if is property of Ferrari ).
    Others greats adds would be Hungaroring, Zolder, Zandvoort, Dijon, also historic version, and i also like the japanese as Motegi Okayama (pacific F1 GP in 1994-95) Sugo and Autopolis.

As entire class, i miss japanese SuperGT, early 2000 (to fit the above mentioned japanese tracks) and FIA GT early 2000.
    Also agree with BTCC, 1990s.

In the historic F1 classes i miss some models with Ferrari shapes (75, 79 and 90 mainly).
    Also, i would like to see the Alfa 155 in DTM 1990s class.

Finally i agree also with the others features, to race without hud (radio, flag weavers, information board), this would be great.

• Like Like x 2