F1 GTR Long tail high-downforce

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by JavierZumaeta, Jun 20, 2024.

1. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

I first noticed when watching some old races, and I finally found a usable picture. For high-downforce tracks, the F1 GTR long tail could use this rear wing instead of the standard one (which could be the low downforce spec).
    [​IMG]

Not a high priority, but wanted to point it out :) Love ya Reiza.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

That is not exactly correct, on every high-downforce track there were McLaren that used the bigger endplates and some that used the smaller endplates, it was mostly the private entries used the bigger ones though.

There are quite a few pictures over at https://www.racingsportscars.com/championship/1997/FIA%20GT.html

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. JavierZumaeta

Oh, interesting. The more you know! Personally I think the bigger end plates aren't the best looking, so aesthetically speaking I don't mind at all that we don't use them in AMS2! But hey, a bit of visual difference has it's own appeal.

Looks like the Merc has a similar deal going on.
    RSC Photo Gallery - FIA GT Championship Helsinki 1997 - Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR no.11 - Racing Sports Cars

In-game, the Merc has extra dive planes for high-downforce circuits.

4. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

In-game we have the CLK LM which is the 1998 car, that one is the 1997 CLK GTR.

I made a pretty lengthy post about the aero packages and general performance of the GT1 about 2 years ago, before we even had any Low-downforce variants at all I believe.
    I think right now the situation is pretty good with the cars being boped a bit to be able race each other while still having the characteristics they had in reality, besides the Nissan which doesn't seem to be reflecting those characteristics too well at the moment, but we will see how things look after 1.6 :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. JavierZumaeta

Ah. I do like the way Reiza is handling the Nissan, even if it deviates away from reality a bit, gameplay wise it's better - in fact you could argue this is how it should have been in real life. It makes for more interesting races and championships.

6. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

I don't agree at all, it is the weakest car in the class by a margin (except on the really high altitude tracks), even though it was a considerably faster, more developed and more advanced car than the McLaren in reality. Also it was the fastest in straight line speed of the GT1s with the most powerful engine while probably being a bit worse on braking because of it's higher weight, in AMS2 it is the worst in straight line speed while being oddly strong on the brakes.
    But we will see with 1.6.

7. JavierZumaeta

well, I'm not gonna second guess Reiza's bop efforts. The Nissan wasn't successful irl so, <shrugs>, idk if it rumbles along in the mid field or lower as it is now, I'm fine with that. If we want to redeem it in-game, we can lower the AI difficulty and see if it can take on the rest of the field given it's deficiencies.

In any event, I was only talking about aesthetically putting a different rear wing on the McLaren ;)