VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. bartekno

bartekno New Member

is there a way to play AMS2 via Virtual Desktop but without SteamVR but OpenXR instead ?

i would rather avoid using questlink and use VD all time, but using SteamVR makes performance in VR unacceptable for me. any suggestions here ?
    is there any step by step way to play AMS in OpenXR ? when i run VD, open desktop, open AMS2 via steam and choose OpenXR version it stills opens in SteamVR mode instead. how to deal with this ? many thanks

2. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is no OpenXR mode when you launch - either SteamVR or Oculus.
    You'll need OpenComposite to translate OpenVR (SteamVR) to OpenXR, and you'll also need this mod to stop AMS2 launching in Oculus mode.
    GitHub - rodolZ80/bypass-oculus-detector: Windows Library that simulates not having the Oculus service running and having the VR Headset disconnected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

just run ams from within VD ‘games’ tab

4. bartekno

bartekno New Member

i tried to follow your guidelines however i did not manage to succeed. no matter what, even when i open AMS2 via QuestLink and choose open Oculusu VR in Steam it still runs in SteamVR... what is strange that when i run it over Virtual Desktop performance is totally poor. when i run it over quest link it runs smoothly

5. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

tbh ... openXR is no more than a few % perfomance gain vs steamVR.
    If i were you i'd check the VD settings ( AV1/HVEC10/H264+ at max bitrate work fine for me) that work for others. I only have rtx cards-expierience in VR :)
    And ofc your wireless link to the headset should be as described in the manual - I tried almost anything, but a dedicated wifi6 router is the only setup that gets stutter free wireless VR - for me that is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bartekno

bartekno New Member

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Right now i am in situation that i decided to remove meta oculus windows app i want to stick to Virtual Desktop only. All games are fully playable like f1, ac, acc, iracing, dirt 2 etc. AMS2 however remains unplayable. Even thougj i tried all, i always get strange stuttering ingame and in menus.
    Its really pitty i cannot play it. I tried all possibilities, changed all the settings from streamin quality to ingame details all from all low to all highest. No matter what i always get stutters. In flat screen AMS2 i get 250+ fps on highest setting :/
    I7 13700k/4090/ pc on ethernet and wifi 6 high end router in room
    If ayone has any further suggestions it is more than welcome! Thanks for all the support

7. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Dont get me the wrong way but the tiny bit of tech info you give makes it hard to troubleshoot …
    I need more info :)
    Are you willing to share your ams/vd logfiles?
    One thing you might have overlooked : disable udp telemetry in AMS2’s system menu

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  8. bartekno

bartekno New Member

Hi ! You are golden !!! thanks for your attention and support in fact sharing logs is no longer needed. The case was that UDP was sending packets and making game stutter. Turning this off completely solved the case of poor performance. I think it should be widely communicated that when using VR UDP should be turned off :) thanks !

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

It appears helmet view on VR is broken. Left is cockpit view and the right is helmet view. It can be seen that the frametime went crazy.

[​IMG]

10. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's because of the overlay for some reason. You can disable it, frametimes will return to normal.

11. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

Yes but I just wanted to see if the overlay is not an overlay and if it's going to improve the performance :whistle:

12. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Roll back the reshade and openvr api dll, the reshade update broke the overlay

13. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

I use Oculus runtime. Thus, no reshade. Anyway, I don't use helmet overlay but I just wanted to report this.

14. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

yeah unfortunately it does not cull geometry, which would be frankly fantastic. But, if you're on oculus at least you can crop your FOV and gain some performance. I'm a bit jealous about that, it's the only thing that seriously makes me think about switching to Q3...:oops:

15. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

Yes, I limit my vertical fov to 0.7. Otherwise I cannot bump all the graphics on 4070super while having a headroom. I consider switching the Crystal Light due to better panels and DP but trying to figure how it can perform okay comparing Q3.

16. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Right! I misunderstood :D
    You were talking about the ingame view, not this : Helmet Camera Overlay

17. 0ct0

0ct0 Member

Yeah the in game helmet is rendered and kills performance. Mine is overlay and doesn't affect performance. I plan to tidy up the install this weekend as it was a bit of a hack previously.:whistle:

18. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

It still works :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for your answer, for your information here are my settings using a Quest 3

I'm using Virtual Desktop, Streaming at Ultra (2688x2784)

in OpenXR Toolkit I set the following:
    In Game MSAA Medium (x2)
    FSR @95%
    no AA
    Foveat
    50% 1/16
    80% 1/16

using these parameters I can have a rock solide 72FPS even with rain by night

20. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Still no plan to have implemented the Single Pass Stereo I guess?