AMS 2 console release ?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Djin, Jun 22, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Djin

Djin Active Member

Do Reiza plan to release a console version of Automobilista 2? I read somewhere it was planned, but is it still relevant? I think AMS 2 would be a perfect fit for the PS5 since it could be played in flat mode and also in VR with the PSVR2. There aren't many sims on consoles, and it could give Reiza a significant boost in terms of visibility and revenue. Sure, it would take some ressources but this extra income could benefit the game in the long run and also boost the players base, especially if crossplay is supported. Maybe this development could even be outsourced?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

I think it's likely not going to happen in the near future. I'm pretty sure REIZA doesn't have any console coder ATM and resources are limited.
    Maybe it's possible in a few years, who knows...
    And with reference to outsourcing ... I don't think Renato would happy about any developement of "his baby" where he doesn't have direct influence...

3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I think they said they might when AMS2 is finished

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

But when AMS2 is EVER finished? :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Probably in 2050

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think it would be a very good option also if they manage some sort of PS Plus deal that's good for them. Would increase the game exposure and there's not a lot of competition, the only racing sims (4 wheels)available for the console are AC, ACC and GT7, very strong competition yes, but not a lot nonetheless.

7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If it ever happens, I would guess not before 2026.

8. Djin

Djin Active Member

Perhaps after the release of the career mode? I wonder how many years Reiza plans to support AMS2. With version 1.6 being the most ambitious update, the game still has quite a few years ahead of it, especially since things seem to be moving on the multiplayer side with the announcement of LFM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Iirc in an interview on Youtube a few years ago when asked about console release Renato said that the Madness engine was designed to support console versions, but at the time Reiza's plan was to focus on the pc version (fix bugs, implement features, add content, etc), if they ever decided to make a console version that would happen later in AMS2's life.

Imo it would be better to release a console version after career mode and better controller support are implemented, since those things are important to console players. Console release also means console players will likely be comparing AMS2 to GT & Forza in terms of content (just like they did with the PCars games), so it might be a better idea to release a console version after some of the more requested content is included in the game. There's some interesting content coming with the 1.6 update, hopefully Reiza will include even more interesting content in future updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

Compared with AC, ACC and GT the controller support in AMS 2 is so bad , that a console version would be DOA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Djin

Djin Active Member

Well, if Reiza can improve the FFB on the wheels, they can also improve the controller support. I don't see what would stop them from doing so. Personally, I play with a wheel, but I hope Reiza is working on improving the controller support for the fellows who use gamepads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

If , if , if . It´s bad for years now, with slightly improvement. So you can´t say there wasn´t enough time. What stops them ? They have just no intension to change this. I don´t know how difficult it is to get proper gamepad support with ME. No one has managed it until now.

Bottom line, I don´t expect Reiza "suddenly" falling in love with console gamer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. FS7

People have been asking for better controller support since 2020 when AMS2 was released in early access, people have posted about the issues many times, suggested improvements, but posts about better controller support have mostly been ignored and none of the promises regarding controller have been fulfilled. The same issues that go back to the PCars games still persist in AMS2.
    I'm pretty sure Reiza can fix the issues if they want to but it seems that improved controller support is all the way at the bottom of their list of priorities. If they ever fix controller support it will probably happen very late in AMS2's development cycle.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Madatek

Madatek Member

IDK what everyone is on about it drives decent for me on a pad, gonna share my settings below. Just remember to enable the OPPOSITE LOCK setting in Gameplay option.
    Opposite lock helps to catch the car when it starts to slide. With a wheel it is "automatic" because that's what the car would do by itself, or at the very least the feedback helps you. With a gamepad you NEED it on.

Edit, just to clarify, it is an XBOX One pad, but I have a HORI gamepad for PS4/PC and it feels ok with that too
    upload_2024-6-27_15-34-23.png

upload_2024-6-27_15-34-59.png
    upload_2024-6-27_15-35-22.png
    upload_2024-6-27_15-35-44.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  15. Madatek

Madatek Member

Also releasing games on console is NOT easy at all. You need to get SDKs, and the Devs to use them. Since Reiza is pretty much international as a team, with people working from all over the globe, then you would also need to deliver them around. You need to be licensed to make a game on those platform. Then you need every single build and update to pass all of the dedicated tests, and if you fail these tests you need to pay to get other attempts. It's maddening. All of this is oversimplified just to give an idea. As of now, Reiza is focused on the core of the game. Only when it is done (Spoiler, you are never truly done), should a console release be considered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FS7

This has been explained many times in the gamepad threads. There are built-in filters that cannot be turned off and slow down inputs (there's no option to enable raw input and fine tune from there like we can do in AMS1), and haptic feedback is almost non-existent.
    Your settings might work great for tap steer players (low sensitivity, high speed sensitivity, controller damping enabled), but for those of us who use precision steering, realistic assists, and like to have very responsive steering there's no setting that gives us the steering response we want; even with high steering sensitivity and speed sensitivity & controller damping at 0 there's still built-in filters slowing down the inputs. It feels nothing like AMS1. Using DxAce and setting controller as custom wheel improves controller response a little but it's still not as good as in AMS1.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Madatek

Madatek Member

I guess I never noticed these filters. I feel ok with this. Although, now that you mentioned it, I remember Shift 2 having this issue. Given that this game uses the madness engine, it could stem from there. Just a wild guess though

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

Even if you get the steering halfway decent, the haptic feedback still remains pure garbage. Watchdogs 2 has better feedback (no joke). That says everything.
    As FS7 said, the filters cannot turned off, that´s a killer. We all have spend dozens of hours trying to tweak it , installing DxAce etc. .
    But if you have well suited gamepad sims just around the corner like AC, ACC , RF2, LMU, RR, there is no reason to invest time in such a struggle.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
  19. maitevel

maitevel New Member

In the meantime, with controller I win or make podiums in online.

And that won't change in LFM. :)

20. maitevel

maitevel New Member

More than 20 seconds to the 2nd and with realistic assistance. ^^

[​IMG]
    20240626200849-1 hosted at ImgBB
    Some people prefer to complain about management in forums. Then you show them that you can go really fast with a Formula USA 2023 at Cadwell and they look the other way.

• Winner Winner x 1