VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Sirius360

Sirius360 Member AMS2 Club Member

Sadly no. I asked about this in this thread here but maybe we can create a feature request?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rintintin78

Rintintin78 Member

Hi,
    what is the differnce between Chroma and Subtle in Visual FX?
    Thanks

3. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys,
    question for all Quest 3 users, what is the difference/impact on clarity & performance regarding either increasing rendering resolution above native resolution in the quest 3 app or increasing super sampling in the oculus tray tool. If I increase the rendering resolution above native rendering, isn't that in the end super sampling as well. I played around with this two values, but could not find noticeable differences in clarity & performance.

4. Alan A Stacey

Alan A Stacey New Member

Hi all,
    New member here.
    Been playing for a few months with a single screen, thinking about buying a Quest 3 to improve game immersion.
    What would you guys suggest is an appropriate PC spec (Nvidia GPU/AMD CPU) in order to get a good experience?

Any advise greatly appreciated

5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

What’s the specs of your PC?

6. stealthradek

stealthradek Smooth operatooooooor AMS2 Club Member

I'm running Q3 using spec listed in my post footer and it works, so if you're aiming for something even more powerful you'll be fine :)

7. Xblurone

Xblurone Member AMS2 Club Member

I can guarantee that file should be there as it will be auto-created. Indeed if you don't use Oculus, that graphicsconfigoculusdx11 will not be used...

Check your Documents/Automobilista 2 folder for the graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml file and adjust the sharpening accordingly.

For such a high resolution headset (I now switched to Pima Crystal from HP Reverb G2) - you don't need MSAA even. It's crisp without MSAA and saves you a ton of headroom. set reflections and environment Mapp to low to save even more headroom so you can increase resolution.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

Thank you for the reply! But this is what I have, so strange...

[​IMG]

yeah I don't have the openvrdx11 file. so weird.

9. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to disagree with that. I also have the Pimax Crystal and I play AMS2 with 4xMSAA at 92,42% of it's native resolution and it shimmers/aliases way less than 100% render resolution with 2xMSAA(I tested both extensively and got both settings running at 90fps/hz locked for daytime/evening/morning races).

And completely without MSAA the shimmering/aliasing is all over the place, also with a high resolution hmd like the Crystal.

The biggest upgrade would once again be more PPD so I'm looking forward to 50+PPD hmd's like the Pimax Super+a 5090; then I'll probably move back to 2xMSAA but until 60/70PPD you probably won't get away with zero MSAA.

I do agree about the reflections/env map on low, that's great advice and I run it those settings also like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you're looking in the wrong folder. Look at the timestamps. If I was to guess, you're looking in the OneDrive version of your Documents folder, not C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents

11. Alan A Stacey

Alan A Stacey New Member

I currently have a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, 16Gb RAM & Nvidia GTX 1080. I use 4k TV as monitor. AMS2 is quite playable ultra/high settings, but assuming this setup wont run Quest 3 (basically 2 x 4k monitors).

12. Alan A Stacey

Alan A Stacey New Member

That is interesting, as similar to my setup (other than AMD 2700X CPU, I have same RTX 1080 GPU). What sort of setting are you able to run to give an acceptable frame rate. Maybe I should just try Quest 3 without upgrading first?

13. stealthradek

stealthradek Smooth operatooooooor AMS2 Club Member

I'm not around my PC but there's a slider in Oculus settings for the resolution and refresh rate, so running that at 1:1 and medium-ish settings in AMS2. The whole experience is pretty good, the lower frame rate is noticeable only when looking sideways, bit generally you tend to look ahead, so probably that explains the percepted performance. Also I somehow don't think about frame rate when my brain is occupied with hitting apexes :whistle:

I've switched from Oculus CV1 and I have a feeling that somehow Q3 runs better, even with so many more pixels (I've no idea how that works!).

I also went for a cheap USB 3.2 to USB C cable with additional charging connector after trialling this using my phone charging cable of questionable quality and again, it just works fine. I have a feeling jt may be problematic later on once I bump the resolution up, but so far so good. Definitely consider this way before splashing on official link cable.

Finally, I'll strongly recommend the Elite strap as it increases the comfort massively.

I'm due to upgrade my PC hopefully this year, so went to purchase the headset earlier as CV1 went for parts :oops:

And yes, given your original question - I'd say it's worth the gamble :cool:

14. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

aaahh, yes, that's what it was. It's not in the AMS2 install folder. It's in the documents folder. pff

15. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Indeed. :D

16. GoobMB

GoobMB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nay for me either. Varjo Aero, and without antialiasing it is shimmering jaggy mess. Even MSAA x4 is not enough for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Xblurone

Xblurone Member AMS2 Club Member

My VR resolution is 3474 x 41something... (and I can race in dawn and dusk without stuttering at 90Hz) I have no shimmering ... Yes at some angles the aliasing is a bit obvious but then just tilt your head ever so slightly and it goes away... We all have to wait for the 5090 anyway :). Most important is to set your shadows to the highest possible (that does wonders for the shimmering)

18. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That resolution is much lower than what I run on the Crystal with 4xMSAA, but I only do daytime/evening/morning racing(no night/rain otherwise I cannot run 90fps locked).

"Yes at some angles the aliasing is a bit obvious"
    So yes, you also have shimmering ;) Anyway, enjoy, Automobilista 2 with the Pimax Crystal is still an amazing(even unmatched at this moment I would say) sim racing experience with shimmering/aliasing or not.

19. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've just taken delivery of a Pico Neo3 Link (£170 on Amazon) to replace my sturdy Reverb G2 that Micro$oft are killing off in a few months, I couldn't be bothered to deal with delaying Windows 11 updates or reverting back to Windows 10 so just got a different HMD product altogether!

Anyway once I get it up and running I'll give AMS2 a drive and compare, I did a quick & dirty benchmark in the rain last night with the G2 so it'll be interesting to see if I get a little FPS boost from the Pico with similar resolution (lowered on the G2 with OpenXR Toolkit). I'm not expecting huge differences though, looking forward to a clearer image all round as the G2s sweet spot is a tad annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  20. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

oh, good to know that Win11 and G2 is not match atm. Still on Win10 and thought about to upgrade...