VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Got one last year 2nd hand for like 170usd
    You are going to love the experience in my views its a great underestimated VR headset

I advise to join the pico discord and get the hacked drivers from an enthusiast there
    It did improve the experienceeven further for me

• Like Like x 1
  2. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep already joined and downloaded the drivers, watched the videos and all that so I'm ready to go straight after work. Will mess around on default to get used too it then start tweaking afterwards, got the faceplate linked ready to buy if required as I heard the original one is a bit naff.

3. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Keen to hear how this goes Marc. I need to pension off my Rift S and i've been looking at the Pico 3. Wish i'd known it was that cheap! Seems to be back to £240 now

• Like Like x 1
  4. MarcG

It'll no doubt come down again, it was £170 in early July and the day before I bought it it was £330! Crazy fluctuations, keep an eye on it.

Initial very early first impressions are good but it's a bit of a faff in certain areas, I'll expand on that more when I've had more time with it. Visuals look good and no more G2 style sweet spot is lovely, OpenXR Toolkit worked straight off the bat without the need of different files so that was handy, but I may disable that and see how SteamVR handles it as I've not used that for years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. MarcG

Pico 3 Link First Impressions;

I've done a bulk of this weekend in MSFS but have had the odd race and tweak session with AMS2, my early conclusions are that for £170 this is an absolute STEAL of a VR headset. Whilst it may be a bit fiddly getting into DP mode at times (for some reason it likes to default to loading the Standalone stuff) it is very easy to use, the face cushion was OK in an hours long flight and 20min/25min races have been just fine so far, about an hours usage used 15% battery.

I have had to mod the cushion on the sides as it's been designed with glasses in mind, but this means a lot of light bleed for those without glasses. So I've had to bung some thick sticky tape in those areas which actually works just fine and now there's minimal/no light bleed. The included nose pad is of no use to me, as the headset presses down on my nose so with that removed it's much more comfortable whilst letting in a minor bit of light bleed in this area but nothing that distracts enough when gaming.

As for actual usage the edge to edge clarity is a big bonus over my Reverb G2s "sweet spot", no longer am I having to turn my whole head to look at mirrors or HUD items, I just glance and that's great. I've binned off OpenXR Toolkit for AMS2 (still use it for MSFS) as I really only used it for FFR & the FPS display, going direct through SteamVR is just fine and after playing with some settings I've got a decent rock solid 90FPS in day time sunny conditions with visuals comparable to the G2. As with all things AMS2 heavy cloud/rain/storm does take a whack on performance, but I have previous graphics files with lower in game settings to use for those scenarios when needed. I'm still using MSAA in game, I may look at the other similar options one day and see if anything helps performance.

Overall though, so far so very good, performance is just fine, comfort is just fine. Takes some getting used too like having to charge it up every now and then (you can get an AC Adapter to keep it plugged in and constantly charged but not sure I'll need it), the standalone stuff is pretty neat and overall the OS of the headset is decent if lacking in a few DP features - like to check battery usage you have to leave DP mode and go to Standalone and Passthrough doesn't work in DP unfortunately. I'll play with some tweaks to the game settings & SteamVR this coming week to see if I can eek out a bit more performance, but for now as mentioned for £170 it's an absolute bargain and no WMR deprecation nonsense to worry about, happy days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

This headset has to be the most underrated VR device ever
    Its brilliant for simracing and i am just starting to get ito sim flight so i cant wait to use it there
    I recommend you to look at the amsvr options if you want to improve comfort further

The pico4 designed ones work with a bit of a tweaking

Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  8. Xblurone

Xblurone Member AMS2 Club Member

What are you running as resolution? If I set MSAA (high I presume ?) the performance tanks...
    Using SteamVR or OpenXR Toolkit ?
    Can share your settings?

9. Ray456

Ray456 New Member

Just thought I might as well ask here no harm, could someone help me with AMS2 settings in VR, if you have a similar rig to mine even better, I have a quest 3 using link cable, I have changed the debug settings such as mbsp and asw, I have opencomposite / openxr although idk the optimal settings, and in terms of PC rtx 3060ti, ryzen 5 3700x 16gb ram

10. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sure, 3988px x xxxx px set in OpenXR toolkit(this resolution will work with zero artifacts on the 16th resolution ring, I had to try 20 different resolutions to get rid of the "stripes" all other foveated rendering ring's(2/4/8th) won't work). MSAA+MFAA on medium(=4xMSAA). Foveated rendering ring 1/1 at 48% other 2 rings both 16th resolution. Advanced OXRTK settings enabled for a fully streched oval in OpenXR toolkit: horizontally strechted to 180%(by doing this the "only 48%" ring is as good as not visible). Env map/reflections on low, the rest on ~high setting in the performance tab. Most visual fx settings off except post processing and minimal sunflare.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
  11. Michael Roth

Michael Roth New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hallo Leute,

Mit dem neusten Oculus-Update hatte ich das Problem, dass Open Composite nicht mehr mit AMS 2 funktionierte.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

You see many german post in this thread?...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Michael Roth

Michael Roth New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello folks,

With the latest Oculus update I had the problem that Open Composite no longer worked with AMS 2.

14. TheMattyOnline

I think this is actually an issue hi-lighted by the beta preview version of the Oculus software. It appears this no longer works with the OpenXR Toolkit. They must have rolled the changes out to the main release. Try unticking AMS2 in the OpenXR toolkit companion app. This should still allow OpenXR to work (with OpenComposite) but will however disable any features that you were using with the toolkit.
    I doubt we will see any updates to the toolkit at this point as the developer has ceased support for the toolkit now.

15. MarcG

From the developer of OpenXR Toolkit, he posted this on the MSFS forums yesterday;

I never got a response from the Meta engineers, in spite of sending them a 1:1 message (meaning directly to the devs and not through the support).

Looks like v68 is rolling out today, unclear whether they fixed their bug.

Why are you all still using their software when there are much more powerful alternatives out there :expressionless:

EDIT: Meta finally acknowledged my report. So I’m assuming current roll out will be DOA for everyone.

EDIT: Meta confirmed they will fix it in v69.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
  16. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

and which software may this be?

17. mikesch250

mikesch250 Member

Such a mess! Yesterday my Quest PC software and headset also updated to v67 and OpenXR is not working anymore. Crash to desktop when i start AMS2. When i disable the toolkit in the companion app it works, but i lost almost 20% headroom without OpenXR. Guess we have to wait for v69 then... :mad:

18. mikesch250

mikesch250 Member

I think he means Virtual Desktop. But I don´t want to buy a new dedicated 6e router for this, when the cable solution works for me (as long as Meta did not mess up their software).

19. MarcG

I don't know ask him...!

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheMattyOnline

I mean, there's 3rd party stuff like the toolkit, and VD etc, but afaik there is no current way of running an Oculus headset without the Oculus software running is there?