Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does it say that? I remember PC2 had that feature, but I haven't seen that prompt in AMS2.

2. Madatek

Madatek Member

In a quick race, opponent settings, when you select the difficulty the help panel says that difficulties above 80% allow the AI car to choose their setup to adapt to track and conditions

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. pr07

pr07 Member

I don't know if this is a bug or just the AI being stupid, but they seem to be incapable of using a full tank of fuel. I've been doing a lot of 1h "endurance" races with accelerated fuel usage (usually 3x) recently, and they always pit earlier than me, and, no matter the car or track I'm racing on, they almost always have to make an extra pitstop in the last minutes of the race, when they could have just extended their stints by a lap or two and still make it to the end. I've been gifted plenty of wins like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

A work around I know but I often fine tune the length of long races to account for this, +/-10mins usually solves the problem. Simulate the race by retiring to the pits at your convenience, and return later!

5. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

A work around I know but I often fine tune the length of long races to account for this, +/-10mins usually solves the problem. Simulate the race by retiring to the pits at your convenience, and return later!

6. pr07

pr07 Member

Thanks for the help! Just tried 2 races with the GT1s and it seems to work a lot better :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Jojo Pagani

Jojo Pagani Active Member

I just recently started playing the game a bit more seriously.
    I really like the AI, it is very enjoyable but I have a doubt, do you think the AI is reliable enough to learn from them? Do you have any tip to use the AI as a training tool? I'm a slow driver yet and I use difficulty around 95-100

8. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Not really useful seeing as they use different, simplified physics compared to the player. At least for the time being it is better to learn with having just one other player drive around with you in practice sessions, or better yet join a league with people of all skill levels.

9. Jojo Pagani

Oh thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that the AI was too much fun to be real. In ACC the AI is boring as hell but they serve good as tool to get faster.

10. TomLehockySVK

AI at the moment in AMS2 is boring to me because at the moment you can easily exploit how they do not defend the inside of a corner. Here is hoping 1.6 will improve them. Changing difficulty does not change this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

Something's up with the AI at La Source, in numerous versions of the track.

You see it here in the 2020 version, but I've seen it in the 1993 version, where the AI will break way before the breaking zone, often making the player run into the AI

• Like Like x 1
  12. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There will always be some value to have races vs AI. However you shouldn't really use it to learn lines and braking points. Its not unusual to find corners where the AI can brake far too early then exit it with impossible grip, for example. Even worse if we talk about wet racing.

Its also a little bit misleading if you plan to practice close racing because the AI do everything in their power to not touch your car, sometimes making some impossible lateral moves. Racing vs humans you will most likely never see anyone conceding a single inch (which in turn often result in crashes to be blamed on both parties).

I believe this community absolutely love AMS2 AI and often times look past its many issues as something minor or that will be rectified in the future. And this very community also very often get mad at me for criticizing the AI, so I expect disagrees and dislikes. However now that I said I'll get disagrees and dislikes I might get none or just a few hehe

But yea, I think the focus should primarily be to have fun when you do offline races, instead of trying to learn something from the AI.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jojo Pagani

Thanks for your reply. I love how lovely the AI behaves, but that is actually what made me doubt about it. Maybe the original focus of AMS2 was never to be a strict simulator. And maybe that's why the handling of the car was fun but a bit weird if we compare it to the rest of the Sims.

14. Capt_Quarck

Capt_Quarck New Member

You can, but you can also chose not to exploit it..

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TomLehockySVK

How ? Do you actually play a game where you purposefully handicap yourself and enjoy that ? I play games in a way where i can be most efficient and use every tool at my disposal. The only way to not exploit the AI in AMS2 is if i stopped getting along-side them on the inside of the upcoming corner which is the standard way of making an overtake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc Sele1981

Is there a list of fun or challenging races with AI? I never tried a long race of 30 minutes or more including weather and pit stops. And I dont want to do trial and error races for an hour just to know how things work. e.g. if AI will pit, how long my tyres will hold etc. I just want to set everything up as given (including tyres, fuel level, number of laps, AI strength etc.) and race.

17. jedlin12

jedlin12 Member

I can recommend F-USA with 2x tire and fuel wear and 3x random failures on tracks listed below. That's the class i tested most extensively and those tracks provide the best experience (that doesn't mean other will not). Races should be 40-60 minutes long:
    Long Beach 40 laps 105% AI
    Jacarapeuga 54 laps 100% AI
    VIR 30 laps 110% AI
    Fontana 100 laps 100% AI
    Laguna Seca 40 laps 105% AI
    Montreal 35 laps 100% AI

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1