VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I’ll put it to the test as well. :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. noel spence

noel spence Member AMS2 Club Member

just had an update to virtual desktop streamer and seems to have stopped open composite i just get a black screen now

3. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can verify it is now broken. Works fine in SteamVR.

Also, my fans sound like a rocket ship taking off when loading up, which is not normal.

They won't support OpenComposite in their Discord, so no point in asking there. Guess I'm going back to cable for now.

The dev says "Virtual Desktop re-implemented its own OVRLib" which I'm guessing might be the issue for Quest users, since we need to use GitHub - rodolZ80/bypass-oculus-detector: Windows Library that simulates not having the Oculus service running and having the VR Headset disconnected.

Discord - Dev Message

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 8:03 AM
  4. noel spence

5. dryheat94

So basically, tough cookies. Back to cable for me.

Screenshot (121).png

6. noel spence

yes me too but i just cannot get it going nicely, looks awful

7. dryheat94

Your other option is just to use SteamVR with VD and forget about OC.

8. noel spence

thats even worse horrible performance 80 latency , everything on low too , but the other fellow with similar system to mine gets good performance

9. dryheat94

Now I have to spend all day tomorrow messing with settings and finding out if other apps are also broken. I suspect it's just AMS2, since it needs that Oculus bypass. Quite a bummer.

The irony here is, for whatever reason I left them a glowing review on the Meta store about 3 hours ago. Then I saw your message and started testing. Then the attitude of their support, which I fully expected. Glad to see Meta allows me to delete the review. It's now gone.

10. noel spence

rich buggers ,dont help the poor lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. noel spence

r factor 2 is the worse i only get 30 fps no matter what situation , might go back to my g2 that had great performance in everything

12. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

I don’t see all that much difference between OC and SteamVR in VD to be honest…

13. dryheat94

You can install previous version by side loading, which I'm not going to do. If anyone wants to bother, you can find the previous version at Release Version 1.32.9 · guygodin/VirtualDesktop

I was a big fan of VD, but the program is quickly becoming more bloated with features I have no use for and a look at their Discord after this latest release has left many with issues.

Screenshot (122).png

• Like Like x 2
  14. noel spence

i have no idea why but mines the opposite

15. dryheat94

Same. I've spent way too much time today trying to get it to look as good as it was with VD/OC. Whether I use VD/SteamVR or Meta w/cable and OC, nothing I do makes it look as good as it was before. I'll keep trying, but all I seem to be doing is going in circles. The VDXR codec is superior to the SteamVR codec. :(

16. noel spence

just setting up my g2 now lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Yeah, the latest VD broke AMS2 open composite (OC) support. Its only the menus that are broken in that nothing displays at all (I looked around as well and its a void of black). Funny thing is that LeMans Ultimate still works fine with exact same OC dll. Anyway, they wont fix it. I am not a fan of their discord support . One guys solution to everything is to uninstall everything except VD. I even tried to help someone with OC issues there once and got told to stop posting... posting help.. The arrogance in that place is off the charts. Having said all that, there are some pretty dopey people trying to get support so it must drive them crazy I guess. I have seen some mind numbingly stupid questions on that place. But they seem to love to repeat the same answers over and over as they dont pin anything worth reading.

Anyway, here's a WORKAROUND if you don't want to downgrade VD if you have a quest 3 and want to use OC. When in menus, press the left controller menu button to bring up the VD menu. This puts the screen back into 2D mode (in the headset) where you can now see the AMS2 menus. Close VD menu, make all your menu changes to get into cockpit then popup VD menu again and press the switch to VR button. You are now happily sitting in your car in VR.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 10:59 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  18. dryheat94

Yeah, I knew what they'd say before I posted in their Discord. That's why I told him I wouldn't argue with him because I already knew their standard answer. They are a bunch of arrogant (fill in the blank)'s in there and I can't be bothered with them anymore. I'm going to spend some time with Meta/Debug Tool/Cable and see if I can get anything acceptable.

Thanks for posting the workaround, hope it helps someone else.

The reason it works with other games is that only AMS2 requires the Oculus bypass dll, which is what they broke by implementing their own OVRLib.

"Windows Library that simulates not having the Oculus service running and having the VR Headsets disconnected. It is useful for programs like Automobilista 2 that force the execution in Oculus mode if they detect them, making impossible the execution of the game in OpenXR runtime."

19. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I think its more related to how AMS2 handles menus because it does run in OpenComposite just fine when in the cockpit.. its just the menus that are not visible (have never used the Oculus bypass).

My Link Cable always looked pretty good but the max resolution via the app is only 1.5x which is lower than godlike in VD so VD will typically look crisper if you dont use any other overrides. I set bitrate to 940 in tray tool which seems to avoid any audio issues on Link Cable at least for me and actually has less compression artifacts than VD even if I run VD at 500mbs in H264+. (Just check out Monaco tarmac in AMS2 and its compression to me is more visible in VD).

Having said that, I haven't used link cable for a while so maybe Meta broke that in the last release as well. I really wish I could lock my PC down from any updates what so ever.

20. dryheat94

What an aggravating day. Already got the Meta "dirty usb port error" using cable. Unbelievable they haven't fixed that yet. I'm about ready to throw the headset against the wall :)

• Useful Useful x 1