General Chit-Chat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrimsonEminence, Sep 12, 2024.

1. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

At the end of the day it is a hobby, and just like every other hobby it can get quite expensive. What makes that price worth it for most of us is the amount of fulfillment we get from it, that's what makes all hobbies seem worth it and it's those hobbies that makes the day-to-day slog that is life a lot easier to deal with

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

Guys I feel like even at the lowest setting, traction control is kicking in too quick on pretty much every car that has it. As soon as I apply even a little throttle the TC icon on the HUD lights up even if I'm nowhere near losing traction. In other sims I believe it's controlled through 'TC2' in the cars which have it. Is this just how TC behaves in reality or?

3. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

If it’s your own money they you have worked for or saved then what you do with it is up you. It’s quite likely that they just don't get your interest in it and its a lot of money for “just a game”. You could have taken up cycling as a hobby and spend twice as much on a bike and they would probably understand that, sim racing just isn’t as relatable.

If you can show them that you still go out and do other things, (touch some grass occasionally etc :)) and you’re not short of money for day to day things and maybe still save a little bit they will probably be ok with it eventually.

4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

TC won’t activate like that after V1.6. Only some cars have TC2, but AFAIK all cars in AMS2 have the same ABS and TC settings. They all at least go from 0-10 when IRL every car has a different amount and they vary a lot. Just check ACC TC and ABS settings to see how different they are

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Harmoniser

Harmoniser Member

I’m agreeing with you mate. It’s sarcasm.

But given you’ve messaged me it gives me chance to raise something. Some times it’s ok just to shut things down and explain why. People were given plenty of warning. Not sure if it’s a language or intentional thing but sometimes the responses meander into criticising the posters, but that can come across as a criticism of the whole player base. Which can come across a very combative. 99% people on here love the game. If they don’t they are quickly dispatched. Embrace the love and over enthusiasm.

but at the sometime I can understand the frustration. There are a lot people on here that just don’t listen.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 8:57 AM
  6. stealthradek

stealthradek Smooth operatooooooor AMS2 Club Member

I've already managed to convince couple of my friends spouses that it's a good investment after telling them how I've avoided a couple of minor road incidents just by having a muscle memory from simracing. The "saved" expense of having the car fixed, insurance excess and probably higher insurance cost (as I'd lose the no claim bonus) outweighs the cost of the rig alone. Next day they were shopping for gear :cool:

And then there's another important factor (if not the most important) that's often overlooked: like any hobby takes your mind elsewhere, allows to recharge your batteries when dealing with real life problems. It was essential thing for me to stay sane during the lockdown few years back.

Just don't let it take over your life as the world outside of computer games is still most important.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Nah, wasn't meant combative, just clarification what the actual reasons were and that it wasn't content speculation, but the release speculation based on stuff, that wasn't founded on actual info.

8. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

Yeah that's good to know. Would love a TC2 setting at some point now that the physics are coming to point where they're gonna be dialed in to a 'complete' degree. Obviously it's not a necessity really but if you're going for an accurate simulation then might as well have it. At least on the modern GT3 gen 2s and other cars that have it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Racinglegend1234

I’m just going to clarify that it might still feel a little odd in some cars, but not as extreme as in V1.5. It’s not as noticeable

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bađi

Bađi Member

Is the overly loud noise of TC still present? And is it still active in 80% of the lap?

11. Racinglegend1234

May I ask why it activates 80% of the time for you? The audio is getting an overhaul and TC should activate less when it really shouldn’t, but I haven’t heard of it activating 80% of them time

12. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Probably driving the V10?

13. CrimsonEminence

F-V10 Gen2 at default TC setting has quite loud TC and intrusive actuation, that's not unrealistic (i think it got tweaked within the sound overhaul tho).

I'd just wait for the update here, tire slip has changed, so naturally TC actuation changes, additionally to adjustments that were made.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel it is better in V1.6, before I messed with the TC quite a lot, or turned it off altogether. Recently turned it off in the BMW M6 GT3 and quickly turned it on again because when the torque kicked in I started to have quite a few issues.

The car became quite a handful to drive with it off, might be ok for a quali session but I would not want to do a whole race with TC off, my tires would be on fire quickly.

Your mileage may vary, I am not the best driver in the world, but all in all TC behavior improved I feel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Bađi

Bađi Member

Maybe I exaggerated a bit but I feel like in the current version it activates on the slightest of turn-ins. Now you can immagine on a track with short straights and a lot of corners how the constant TC activation could be annoying.

16. Bađi

Bađi Member

Now that you mention it, yeah

• Like Like x 1
  17. Racinglegend1234

Yeah I tried this in multiple cars and it did activate sometimes, but not a lot. I will have to double check the V10 G2, but I don’t think it’s as bad

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, I guess as a result of the tire changes, it helps that V1.6 now encourages using only as much steering lock as is actually needed to perform the required rotation of the car. Since bad things happen if you overdo it, which makes the TC less likely to interfere. In V1.5 it is a bit of a free for all as far as that is concerned, without too much danger.

Apparently nothing changed in the TC deployment itself, based on Crimson's earlier comments, but it does feel like it when driving.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 9:18 PM
  19. Racinglegend1234

I agree. I have haptics now which makes me feel when TC activates and I can tell you that they tell me something when I think something else. IE it tells me TC is activated when, just looking at the screen, makes me think it isn’t active.

20. CrimsonEminence

I mentioned that there were also adjustments, not all cars needed them but yes, one of the biggest factors is tire behaviour, which has an effect on TC actuation.