1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has the game engine been decided for the next game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GodzillaGTR, Sep 2, 2017.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes next engine, Unreal 4
    and the next game, Assetto Corsa, Competizione

2. SaxOhare

It's not the graphics only that hold back AMS, it's more the overall incompleteness.

No Ghostcar
    No online players
    No VR
    No weather
    No modding tools (although modding is allowed)
    (Something with the timing)

It has Great physics and great content, but that's not enough, I miss the Timing and Ghost car the most, and other people miss other things. resulting in a very small fan-base and people using mods.
    Perhaps the Ice racing and Drift cars will make the difference, but not for me

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry, I've asked you before to no avail, but what precisely is wrong/missing with the timing?
    From my point of view, the lack of a ghost car doesn't bother me at all. It's so annoying when you're half a car length down and the ghost car isn't transparent enough and it blocks the view! :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SaxOhare

• Every first lap the timing isn't working, Strange because a while ago the starting tyre temp was raised to make the first lap count.
    • As soon you go over the track edge the timing stops, why? It would be nice to keep timing but don't count the lap as reglementery, i still can improve in some other sectors.
    • And the worse, and complete "Immersion" spoiler. The game doesn't remember what my time was as soon as I've been in the pits to make car adjustment,
    • The dynHud is gone, it seems impossible to make the deltabar work
    This leaves me driving a lot of "filling/useless" laps.
    Racing = laptimes,

The Ghostcar doesn't need to be a car, the driving line used in Raceroom is also an option, you see your fastest driving line and braking points,
    The reason; to compare my lap with other laps (and not because i like to drive in half transparent cars, a ghost car can be switch on or off, "no ghost car" can't be switched on).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Paradiz

Paradiz RFRO Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure that these 3 points are about graphics.
    No online players => Most players want "modern" graphics
    No vr because of dx9 limitations (oculus drops support early 2015, openvr never really supports it)
    No weather is certainly due to visual issues with rain and wet shaders, not physics

Personally I don't really care about "modern" graphics, but I need minimum good looking graphics. AMS has good looking graphics, not modern, but good.

Most players want nice licences too (OMG, I see GT3 everywhere), I don't really care about that (and I don't really like to drive GT3). I like to try unusual things, ams is full of that (truck, super truck stadium, metalmoro...).

I'm definitely not like most players, and many people here are not either. I want to see reiza succeed, so I think they need to attract more people, graphics is the highway to that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You need to wait for the green light. If you go on track too early, first lap does not count, yes.
    Because you cut the limits and you gained an unfair advantage so your time is not relevant any more… If you lift when you go off track, the game will see that you don't gain any time and it will work.
    Agree with this, that would be nice to keep the best lap of the session, or even our best overall lap of all time! The ideal being a choice between the two so everybody would be happy… But I guess this comes back to graphics, and will probably stay like this. I'm already so glad we got rid of DynHud and have a working hud in multiplayer! :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SaxOhare

• I was wrong about the first lap, the counter starts as soon i come over the start-line, but since there is no reference, it is a useless lap.
    • I can wait till I will weight an ounce, but the time never picks up, even if i come to a stand-still.
    • There was a time the DynHUD was working allright, even the timing was good, but the Multiplayer community start complaining, so I'm upset the DynHUD is sacrificed on behalf of the multiplayer experience, because there is no multiplayer experience ,perhaps for the mod and leagues users, but not for me.

8. polo199

polo199 Member AMS2 Club Member

Just FYI, even though I liked the way we could tune the HUD with DynHUD, the DeltaBar works perfectly fine with the new Reiza HUD.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

He is complaining about the DeltaBar on Time Trial. Every time you leave the track (to make setup adjustments or else), the DeltaBar gets reset and you lose your best lap reference.

For me that's not a big deal. What really annoys me is that the flying lap is never a good lap, because it starts too close to the start/finish line. I'd rather start from the pit lane (just like a regular practice session) and keep the Delta reference, same replay file, etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. polo199

polo199 Member AMS2 Club Member

Then it's not a problem with the delta bar but more with you BLP being resetted each time you go back to the pits. I agree this is a bit a pain in the neck though I think it is hardly ruining the whole TT experience there.

I agree with you about the flying lap though I'm never able to set my BLP on the first lap of a TT session. I'm no alien like you though @Heitor Facuri Cicoti :confused:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

I don't really care about new ACC, because I don't have much confidence in Kunos to deliver what I want - but who knows, maybe they will produce something great after all.
    However I have to agree with you on the above quote. I wish delta bar wasn't reset every time I make changes to a car. It's not a deal breaker, but it's harder to work on setups having the best time reset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

A workaround for now is to practice in Test Day mode until you are confident with your setup, and then move to Time Trial to set a hot lap. And don't forget to maximise track settings.

13. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

You know, we may discount the importance of good graphics, VR, licensed content, etc. in other sims claiming that great physics Reiza created is all that matters to a true simracer. Truth of the matter is that average simracing enthusiast won't even consider AMS because of the lack of the features mentioned above no matter how good the physics and FFB.
    Just go to other forums, read Steam reviews of other sims and you'll have an idea what people want.

We may not care as we all here enjoy AMS, but it is shortsighted.
    I want Reiza to flourish so they have resources to stay in business and create amazing stuff for us in the future. We know they are among the best, if not THE best developers. Reiza needs to sell their sim in great numbers. This is a win-win for all of us (more online players, more content, etc).
    SMS and Kunos are evolving. They can't yet compete with AMS on FFB and physics, but once that happens Reiza one day may become irrelevant if they won't up their game (again, graphics and VR seems to be the most important for average Joe). I don't want this to happen!

I often wondered how come AMS and rF2 are not the most popular sims, as I believe they are certainly the best and pretty much the only ones I play. If one looks closely they both suffer low user base from similar issues, mainly: graphics (although rF2 improved a lot lately), and not much licensed and (key word here) - POPULAR content (both tracks and cars). I'm simplifying but everyone wants Spa and GT3 cars and these are a must have if one wants their sim to sell :rolleyes:
    There are other things people want, such as: career mode (good career mode seems to be very important to Jane and Joe), VR, laser scanned tracks, dynamic weather, better UI - although I don't know what can be done here - I love how simple and efficient AMS UI is - maybe it's about messing with ini files that confuses people - but then again one doesn't have to touch ini files in AMS.

For now, I have one favor to ask. If you like AMS please post positive review on Steam. Many people don't even know about its existence. If you look for simracing games on steam Automobilista doesn't even come up as suggested title. You'll see AC, pC1 and 2, Dirt, F1 franchise, R3E but no AMS. Why is that? Possibly not enough reviews. Spend 5 minutes and write something.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Yes, but still it's a workaround. Like I said it's not a deal breaker for me, but may be for others. Please see my post above why I think some small things are important so the others can enjoy it too. We are small community of simracers that are happy with what we have and can sometimes look at things differently than average user. Average Joe is more discriminating and as there are other options for simracing we may loose Joe forever. It's not a good thing

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  15. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you touch a lot of important topics in this post.
    The reality is that the population for racing sims that push realism is rather low and I'm not certain it is expanding. One of the reason is that racing sims are some of the most demanding games for players for being good at it and it term on how physically exhausting it can be (with a proper wheel setup) with concentration required. And then you have a whole new generation born after 2000 who may not give a damn at all about cars in all forms.

And then, simracers have so much choices these days, probably too much compared to the low population. I have AMS, rFactor2 and PC2 and really like them all for slightly different reasons. The time I spend on rF2 or PC2 is not spent to further dig into AMS and vice-versa. There's so much competition between racing sims (and I've not included R3E, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, ...) for so few players.

Still, an area where AMS is doing great is offline racing while everybody else seems to be chasing online, now or in the future. Not to say that online is not important, but good offline is equally if not more for the masses that do not play online (such as myself) and remain mostly silent.

Another area of concern for the future is that simracing games get ever mode complex and it doesn't look like it will stop: VR, weather, night, good graphics, AI, sound, FFB, physics...
    The most current ambitious game in this area by far is PC2 and despite its qualities, I don't think it has been as successful as its developer expected it to be. This is really concerning as at some point maybe no developer will tackle such games anymore and will do something else that sells instead.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

(removed double post)

17. traind

traind Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice post. I like the description of PC2 as ambitious but I think it was too ambitious. Too much content and too many features resulted in very uneven experiences from car to car and track to track. Some cars feel quite nice, many feel like they are made of concrete.

Kunos is heading in the other direction for their next title... concentrating just on GT3 (at least to start) but including more features like night and rain. And they are using Unreal Engine 4 this time so they are starting from scratch on many things.

iRacing is working on offline racing right now... AI will debut this year. I am not sure how many people will see the value in iRacing for just offline but I do think, if they get it right, it will keep more customers who are already subscribing happy and away from other sims.

Unlike PC2, Automobilista has such great consistency across their content. Just about everything feels really, really good. I wonder if they are thinking about Unreal Engine 4? Personally, I am fine with how AMS looks because the quality of the cars make it very immersive but I know many customers base their purchase on graphics quality and this probably holds AMS back in sales despite the outstanding value for money.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I think what Kunos is doing with ACC may be a good thing as they can focus on one primary series and provide a more complete and deeper experience - especially, if they add more series later on (GT4 please).

It should be interesting to see how well UE works with their core physics-engine but, I really feel like Kunos has the potential to make ACC a great title and serve as a building-block for future expansions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I personally am very happy with the overall look, sound and feel of Automobilista as it is now....and I would be happy with a more extensive damage model applied to the Sim...I have seen some videos of rFactor 1 somewhere and it looks great...this to me would make Automobilista a complete all round Sim...even though it already is....only my 2 cents

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Just add VR and I'll be back! Tis all I want. Keep it as is, add everything, i don't care but just add VR!

• Agree Agree x 4