Look to apex like in PC2

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Sektor, Jul 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sektor

Sektor Member

Project cars 2 has automatic look to apex, best video i could find is this. This is the max settings so it might look exaggerated. I gave it a try and it is very useful, much more than what AMS has now. It works like head tracking that game does for you. Is it possible to have this in or to make this for AMS?

2. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Go to the "Display" section and look for "Look to Apex" in the centre column.

3. Sektor

Sektor Member

That works when you turn the wheel, PC2 works when you come close to apex, you don't have to turn the wheel, the view locks towards the apex. I thought i made that clear in the first post with video and all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice attitude mate. Stick to PC2. The great AMS physics would be wasted on you.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  5. AlenC

AlenC Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS's look to apex needs to be a bit more exaggerated in my opinion. I edited look to apex setting in my .plr file to this value: Lookahead Angle="0.75000"

I think in this way AMS's look to apex is more useful than PC2's, although I'd prefer to see both systems work together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sektor

Sektor Member

Hey Supa, don't be such a snowflake. I ask one question, people read only title and just paste generic answer. The system in PC2 is better than in AMS, which is not a perfect game. Btw i have over 1k hours in AMS and don't own PC2.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Sektor I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. Automobilista's look-to-apex function is the standard type that rotates around a fixed point as the steering wheel is turned. As you explain it, PC2's seems to be different, responding to the track itself. I hope you find a solution.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. AlenC

Try altering plr file. I do own PC2 and its system has advantage over AMS's in very small number of corners (I wish I could remember some examples, I think historic Imola has one).

Too bad no sim is perfect. Like I said, it would be great to have this auto look to apex in AMS for those rare occasions where you lose sight of apex before starting to turn the wheel.

9. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

One solution is head tracking

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

There is no other possibility atm and it will remain as it is.
    On side note, while developing drift pack and making in game scoring for it, we did test something similar to what you describe - by making head turn towards vehicle direction of movement. It wasn't perfect and required lots of "polishing" for relatively minor feature.

• Informative Informative x 5
  11. Sektor

Sektor Member

I'm no game developer, but the driving line could be used for that, if the driving line for mod tracks knows where to go (and the AI for that matter), maybe the camera could also know where to look?

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. AlenC

I can't drift very well myself, but I watched some videos about it and it was recommended to look in the direction the wheels are pointing (I think even in "Skip Barber going faster" video they recommend it). So AMS 's system should work great already, no?

I think that technical side is not a problem, you could probably just add an apex marker on track that the camera will turn to. But as Domagoj said, it will stay as it is for now.
    Maybe for next Reiza title?;)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  13. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

As Alen said, there are no issues on where to turn camera, making it work smoothly for many different vehicles, making it work predictable for all kinds of "normal" and unimaginable situations is 90% of work.

For normal racing it might be fine. Drifting requires almost constant, often large, steering inputs - so view rotating with steering wheel will probably make things harder. Ideally you'd look through side window in very sideways angled vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Eventual VR support in future titles will solve such issues and in the most natural way. The titles and tech just need to mature and adoption rates will eventually make it the standard way to sim-race. Once things reach the point where image quality, FOV and price coincide at more acceptable levels for more people, it will be the best way to play imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1