Does anybody still like the F-Extreme?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by P*Funk, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

if you drive back to back with the formula reiza it's a different beast almost tame compared to the extreme. Also the tyre noise is so loud on the extreme I wonder if there could be tweaks to it.

2. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

So I dunno about you guys but I feel like something has changed with this week's update.

Feels a lot less stiff and the inside fronts seem to want to lock up a lot less from cornering. Feels closer to the SCE version.

Do we figure changes to default set up or changes to physics? I haven't done any substantive empirical analysis so maybe I'm all placebo about this. I only noticed when I went to check out the new wheel display.

3. gongo

gongo Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

-

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  4. Msportdan

maybe reiza implemented kunos's placebo v1.1 update lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. gongo

-

6. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim Member

I'm not sure Niels did this car ... these new V6T cars run very high rake compared to previous generation, i'm like 90% sure they do so to run softer springs at the rear and improve traction. But this F.extrem rake is quite similar to previous generations ones.

I really don't find it hard to drive, if you get in the new F1s mood, you really need to find a good balance between front and rear stiffness (springs and arb) to avoid front tyres taking off in corners.

7. Jyri Kettunen

Jyri Kettunen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nope. You would ruin the rake and lose downforce with soft rear.

8. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim Member

I was talking about real life cars not the f.extrem, some teams run really high rakes approaching 120mm difference between front and rear, and i see no reason doing so other than running soft springs:(renault 2015 wheelbase is wrong a typo probably)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gongo

-

10. Spin

Spin Active Member

I never liked it because the nature of the ISI physics engine's holes come out more and more the more "hardcore" a car is. Driving a high powered and/or real stiff and fast racecar in real-life or in Live For Speed or Netkar Pro, or to a certain extent Assetto Corsa, is a different story though.

11. David Dominguez

David Dominguez Member AMS2 Club Member

Stiffer springs at the back doesn't support any "modern principles", I don't know where are you getting this from.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jyri Kettunen

Well, it's not my responsibility to educated you. I only say this: with "stiffer springs at the back" I meant with back heavy cars, which need stiffer springs there to get suspension frequency set correctly (10-20 lower than the front frequency). Sorry if my English fails here.

13. Msportdan

Spinelli you now saying that ac or the aforementioned has the best physics/most realistic in sim racing atm? Bold statement

14. David Dominguez

Yes, but where do you got that F1 cars run stiffer springs at the back? Even iRacing's McLaren 2015 F1 has way way stiffer front springs than rear springs (both corner springs and heaves). And in many other real life open wheeler categories, stiffer springs are used at the front, compared to the rear.

15. Jyri Kettunen

Read about racecars and suspension frequencies. Limitations and errors of simulation software is not my problem.

• Like Like x 1
  16. David Dominguez

What makes you think that there are errors or limitations with the simulators?

17. Jyri Kettunen

In fact, modern setups work well in many of them, so they're not that bad. ;)

18. David Dominguez

I don't know mate, you are the one saying they are bad, then later saying they are good :D I would just like to have some evidence that states that F1 cars run stiffer rear springs.

19. Jyri Kettunen

Re F1s, or any other racecars with 3rd springs or other solutions to control pitch (squat?) it is possible, I guess, to run very soft rear compared to more conventional suspensions (when looking for optimal corner exit speeds). I'll give you that. Setting ARBs accordingly should not be forgotten of course.

20. Niels Heusinkveld

Niels Heusinkveld Moderator Staff Member

My bet is aero decides everything. I doubt engineers look too much at front vs rear ride frequencies, but much more at ride heights and pitch, so the drag, downforce and balance are a certain way during most driving situations.

With 3rd springs most likely being used on all the cars, you can totally separate downforce / rideheight suspension behavior ('heave') from cornering (roll)

Aero is generally more sensitive to changes in front ride height than rear ride height, so its probable that you don't want much front suspension movement. And don't forget bump rubbers, probably often an essential part of the setup as they are progressive in resistance, much like aero is 'progressive' with speed.

Many single seaters, with or without a 3rd spring, only have a few millimeters worth of front suspension travel until the bump rubber is hit and the suspension progressively stiffens.

• Like Like x 9