Collisions

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by VernWozza, Dec 27, 2018.

1. VernWozza

VernWozza New Member

Hi everyone.

Does anybody know if collisions will ever be fixed or if it's even possible with the engine used for ams?

I'm talking about the way cars seem to bounce off each other when the collide rather than actually making a realistic contact. It is a disadvantage racing against AI as they seem to be able to compensate for this when they make contact with me.

For the record I'm a massive ams fan just this one thing that bugs me.

Thanks,
    Vern

2. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Member

I don't seem to have this issue. I mean, I've noticed once or twice a bit of a quirky reaction [in some mods] to a door to door bump, sort of bouncing off like we're made out of rubber, but it's been few and far between and I can't really say it wasn't 'realistic' given the conditions when it happened. Many variables to the way the car(s) react to that sort of thing.

I co opt a league.
    We ran the Opalas not too long ago, mostly forced them onto tighter, smaller courses for some nice wheel to wheel door banging and paint trading. I don't recall it being a problem.

Over at RD, we've been running Mini club races (and soon to be a Mini series) and there has been a LOT of door banging and paint scraping. The reaction of the car, when that happens, from my perspective, is not unrealistic at all and what you describe is not happening.

The AI do seem to be much more able to catch the car, when bumped or rammed/hit or whatever.
    That's normal, and happens in all the sims that I use (AMS, AC, rF2...in the past, rF1)
    ..idk, just don't hit them? lol

....my overall point being, I don't see this being an actual issue that needs addressed.
    Human to human would be the best test, and as I said, we've 'stress tested' that substantially in our series. I've not heard a single driver talk about weird reactions when bumping and being bumped.
    So, if anything, this has more to do with the AI being able to compensate very quickly, verse human reaction time. Perhaps even, it is their response to the bump that causes the "bounce off" effect (something like, when you touch them, they instantly reaction by counter steering back into you to catch their car, and it sort of shunts the human driver off....? something like that, maybe..?)

3. VernWozza

VernWozza New Member

Thanks for the detailed response.

As I predominantly use a sim in ams I thought you must be right so I went and tested it. Sure enough, it's way more pronounced on the mods in ams.

However, it definitely does exist in the original content too. I tested with stock cars, boxer and V8s, it's present in this content too. Less so, but it's still there.

I knew I wasn't imagining it, and a quick search on this forum and RD shows other people are irked by it too.

4. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Member

When I said I don't have the issue, I should have said "I don't have the issue any more than other sims"....and in many ways, I have it to a much less degree in AMS than some others.

I think the collision box is essentially a rectangle around the car, and is not actually necessarily formed around the car's body and all the shapes and such that we see. It's just this rectangle defining it, surrounding it. ....not sure of the ability of this platform to go too far into detailing that [surely that would be substantial work...?]

I wouldn't say I've never been irked by it. And I pointed out that some mod content is worse than others, as you also noted. I've just noted how much more pronounced it can sometimes be.
    But I also think maybe it's deeper than that, and depends on the situation on track as well (something on physics level...?..) ...could be sort of ffb related to, I suppose. Or maybe not that, maybe more along the lines of learning to predict it and counter it. Maybe that's what I've done, and because of that I no longer notice the issue.
    It has irked me. And I've even mentioned it myself (I can think of a particular case during a league race between myself and another car) to others.

It will be cool, in the future, when we can have that in the sims though. Don't get me wrong about that part! ;)