1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 // Physics engine

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by david chatelet, May 27, 2019.

1. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Wow, that one is a pleasant surprise! Didn't expect this to be possible, but thinking about it it makes sense. Otherwise you'd indeed have a hard time sticking to your schedule considering the amount of things you'd need to start working on from scratch.

Going from this information as well as the interview on RD, I'm already extremely impressed by the way you guys are tackling this. Can't wait to see/hear/read more about AMS2! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Atsuki

Atsuki Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. hotak

hotak New Member AMS2 Club Member

And here all the "pCars is simcade" comments should start reconsidering their knowledge.
    I'm really curious to find out how different from PC2, AMS2 will drive. I'm also very happy about what seems to be a very collaborative partnership between possibly the biggest and the smallest simracing studios (excluding LFS and PiBoSo projects), i know many people are really suspicious about Ian Bell's attitudes, but i'm very much a fan of his "cunning plans" and think that people like him are needed to bring progress and attention to niche products like sims.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. traind

traind Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I respect SMS and was an "investor" for PC1. PC2 is much better but the way some of the cars handle is just wrong. So, despite the effort SMS made to create a sim engine, it is easy to see how some people could interpret PC2 as "simcade". The other day I went back in after a long time of not using PC2 and tried a few cars. The rallycross feels really good. But then you try something like the F458 Speciale and it just isn't right. It looks terrific and sounds good but when you can't get power on oversteer in that car in low gears, well, something is wrong. And that is putting it into the aggressive set up and no stability/traction control too.

But it sounds like Reiza are getting good results with the Madness engine. AMS feels awesome so despite PC2's problems there is a lot too look forward to with AMS2.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hotak

hotak New Member AMS2 Club Member

Honestly the 458 Speciale is Ian Bell's personal road car, so i don't think they'd get its physics too wrong, it's one of my favourites in pCars2 too because compared to other supercars it just haves the perfect grip balance.
    Remember that aggressive setup is on slicks and using harder suspensions, you should try "OEM" default setup fo road cars, most of the times is also more fun to drive if you don't aim at good lap times.

7. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think Hotak's recommendation is probably the key. I know the Extra Mile recommends the OEM setup option

• Like Like x 1
  8. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've had pcars 2 for a while now but hardly ever use it as the Ffb behaviour on the limit is just really bad, wrong or whatever. Just horrible. seems like the grip just falls away to nothing when car reaches limit. Apart from that it seems good. I'm sure Reiza will fix this for AMS2 and it will then easily surpass even rf2. cant wait!!

9. AlenC

AlenC Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tred this one: Christiaan's Pure FFB (Custom pCARS2 FFB File) ?

I'd be curious to hear what do you think of it. I just had to play with setings a bit until I found something I liked. IIRC, I have it set to Gain:100, Vol:80, Tone: 85, FX: 25, Spring:100

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Do you think these settings come as close to AMS feel as possible? I tried the Christiaan custom file, but without the magic formula of the settings, you never know. They should all be calibrated to 100:50:50:50, but that's a bit much to ask for a free custom file and the overly-complex settings in PC 2.

P.S., does it work with karts, or are they just a complete write-off? I have not found any custom file that works with them yet, but they are at least driveable (if awful feel) using Raw.

11. AlenC

I'd dare to say that the settings come close to rF2. At least on my GTDF... I used specific file for geared wheels. And I tested the same cars on the same track (GT3 mercedes on Le Mans).

Karts don't work with these settings for me. But if I'm not mistaken, neither did they work with Jack Spade's.

12. traind

traind Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I pretty much gave up on PC2 a long time ago so it is certainly possible I used the wrong settings when I jumped back in a week ago for another drive. However, I always try to use OEM tires in PC2 and believe I did with the Speciale too. I'll try it again at some point.

But can you get oversteer to the point of spinning the Speciale in PC2? I tried it, I think with OEM too, and it oversteers but always "rights itself". Even when I am trying to get it to spin. So the oversteer begins but the car refuses to spin if all tires are on tarmac. I will try it again at some point but would like to hear if this unnatural behavior is there for you. It certainly did not feel accurate to me, whether Ian owns one or not.

I looked at the video David posted and you see the guy gets oversteer but never gets even close to losing the back end. So maybe the guy in the video is the world's best PC2 driver and can catch every slide or perhaps that car model is broken when pushed to the limit? So he was never really at risk for spinning. Cars like the 720s can spin when pushed aggressively in PC2 ... so it isn't like every car is broken in this regard.

I have drifted for fun a bit in real life with cars in the 425-460hp range. On dry track with decent tires it takes effort to get the car coming around in a big way. But once it does, it is always possible to bring it around all the way and spin it. Rain makes it easy :)

The 458 in AC behaves much more like I would expect when provoking the throttle.

13. Marc Collins

Does the PC 2 version have the factory traction control, etc., nannies activated? Or the sim equivalents?

14. AlenC

You have three options: realistic, artificial and none. Realistic should be TC and ABS where available on a real car, but I'm not sure if it works that way. Evey default setup comes with full ABS and TC and I noticed a difference in handling on formula rookie. After that I didn't even test it anymore. First thing I do in setup is to turn it off (ok, I leave some percentage on gt3 cars).

15. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

nah your right I had this in the aston gte at oulton, as I mentioned in concerned thread, I thought this title was forza clone at best. I could literally plant the throttle and save any oversteer/potential spin moment and a tad of input. PC2 regardless of assists isn't on the level of acc ams or rf2. I hope reiza have some magic up their sleeve. Im sure its the numbers pumped into I and the engine has the potential. im sure

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Asturbo

Asturbo Member AMS2 Club Member

One question about AMS2 & Madness engine.

Is the netcode part of the engine or it's fully independent and will be designed entirely from Reiza?

The netcode in PCARS2 isn't specially good. It has a Dedicated Server, but it's not a true server-client architecture and online has a high dependency on Steam connectivity.

Other major problem we had in PCARS2 is that the antipiracy system used by SMS was very intrusive causing many disconections in online sessions. That was recently improved after many months of complaints, when SMS reduced the intrusion level of the antipiracy system, but the steam dependency is still there.

Last question is if is planned any reputation system to filter players online.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  17. Marc Collins

So I can confirm after bothering to test for 2 minutes that the "Authentic" settings for the 458 Speciale have all the usual OEM/factory nannies activated, as you would expect and therefore it is almost impossible to spin the car.

Turn everything "Off" and you can spin the car at will. Just as you would expect. PC 2 has it right in this instance.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Supa

Hi Alec

Yes I have tried it and its alot better than the Default. Also tried the Jack Spade stuff too!! BUT it still doesnt fix the on limit handling. If you've ever tried AMS and RF@ then you'll know what I mean!

19. Supa

20. AlenC

Which cars did you use? Did you use default setup? What were your ffb setings?