1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUTOMOBILISTA 2 @ PROS & CONS

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Daniel Escudero, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Daniel Escudero

Daniel Escudero Onlysimracing.com staff & microyoutuber.

I expect the best from REIZA all the best and some little problems that hit AMS1 fixed, may be we could have the ultimate simracing title!

2. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Some interesting points indeed. My opinions: Regarding content/no mods concern, from what we've read in the dev updates, the game will include A LOT of tracks and cars and I assume that depending on the success of it, more will follow... Regarding HUD customization, Madness does support it, so it should not be an issue in AMS2.

About online: Except iRacing, I think no racing game has enough online players to make a matchmaking system viable. But I think this is not a problem, racing is not like CS:GO, where if someone is better than the rest just kills them all quickly and no other can enjoy the game, instead in a race you have people fighting for the win, for the podium, for the top 5 etc etc. Safety is a concern, but Madness has that as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's in AMS2. If not, a "vote to kick" feature would probably solve this, too.

If the online system works well (netcode, race lobby creation and executon), then people and clubs will take over this and organize events, public lobbies and leagues. There are a lot of clubs/leagues that are anxiously waiting for AMS2 to release, some even expect that they will be able to start their AMS2 leagues instantly in March :).

So I think it's only a matter if the game will be stable enough. PCARS2 with its many bugs and problems (and zero improvements/patches since already 16 months ago) still has a thriving public multiplayer (in Europe's prime time you can choose from a dozen well populated lobbies at the same time) and several leagues still going strong. I can only imagine what PCARS2 could had been, or AMS2 will be, with a more stable base...

• Like Like x 5
  3. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

While its great to be positive about our favourite sim, I don't beleive in an "ultimate" racing sim. You may not be saying this (not watched the videos yet) but the "my sim is better than your sim (which isn't really a sim)" is IMO one of the worst aspects of simracing. What stands out about AMS for me is that it is proudly different (content wise) to most other racing games, and while I'm luke-warm at best about much of the content I do admire Reiza for doing something different. But doing something different to all the popular sims such as AC, iRacing and PC2 will limit your popularity and mean for many AMS2 probably won't be their favourite sim.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Daniel Escudero

Yep may be my expression was a bit confusing, i was refering about only needing one sim for everything and only race with it, not jumping to others, because is so satisfying the experience with it , and that includes full grids on many hours.

Yep its gonna be difficult that this will happen because some reasons, and one of them is the one you mentioned about the "different content", i also like new tracks but with many human racers to battle in different hours and not only in communities...

5. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If it looks like Pcars2 and drives like AMS I can tell you I will 100% abandon all other sims. I expect some bugs, but I'm confident Reiza will make it right. I imagine the addition of VR alone will bring in a good size crowd.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ermo

ermo Member AMS2 Club Member

Could you elaborate on what this means to you?

AMS1 and AMS2 will use completely different tyre models and FFB engines, but the same track physics mesh generation method & tricks IIRC.

For instance, if AMS2 drives differently (but better) than AMS1, does that imply that you will NOT 100% abandon all other sims?

And while you could be forgiven for thinking I'm being facetious, I'm actually honestly curious about your statement. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You are seriously over analyzing my comment. I wasn't going that in-depth. All I meant was quality wise, as I don't have the specific details of what will change from a physics (or visual for that matter) perspective. I expect the visual quality set by Pcars 2 and the driving quality set by AMS. The quality of the driving in Pcars 2 was not an experience I enjoyed. I am hoping it was SMS who are responsible for the disappointing driving experience Pcars 2 had and not the physics engine itself. I have confidence Reiza will deliver.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daniel Escudero

i supose he can love better physics but his original and candid love was with the ams1 ones and that can be difficult to forget. :p