Retrolux Automobilista Reshade Preview

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Retrolux, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Retrolux

Retrolux Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey everyone,

I thought to try to create a preset for Automobilista 1 that tries to give a more natural look in terms of light, colors, depth without changing the essence of the original work of Reiza. It tries to be subtle but effective with several post shading techniques that I find to look good so far.

Feedback would be great to improve it and as if you work on something for many hours you get blind... :)

Check out all details about this ReShade mod here:
    Retrolux Reshade Preset (Racedepartment)

Here are some shots how the preset looks:
    AMS-2020-01-28-21-27-43.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-21-58-51.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-22-14-52.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-22-51-22.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-22-50-40.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-23-27-13.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-22-55-36.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-23-22-31.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-23-18-38.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-22-37-56.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-21-31-18.jpg AMS-2020-01-28-21-39-57.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I love the philosophy of what you tried to accomplish (respecting the original Reiza choices) and the results look stunning!

However, I will wait for a version that works with the existing graphics and AA settings (in the Config panel). No Inspector fiddling for me, since AMS is the only DX9 title I have ever used that does not require anything but its own settings to look best. I will not risk screwing that up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Retrolux

Thanks for your honest feedback!

I agree that this Nvidia inspector thing and loosing the great SGSS Antialiasing is really something I dislike myself. But I guess Reshade will never work it... I thought of backporting the look to sweet fx but many shaders are simply not available there. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Sadly, if SGSS is one of things that is lost, I will not be able to use your great-looking lighting :( Can't give that up.

5. Retrolux

I tried everything to find an alternative AA solution that would look as good SGSS with about the same peformance level. DSR seems to be the candidate but it is way more expensive and does not event look as good as SGSS for the reduction of distance shimmering.

What I noticed though is that AMS seems to get a bit blurry when using SGSS, while using the default bit 0x0000041 that will be set by AMS. Using the Bit 0x0040000 instead, resolves the blur and its even gains a bit of performance (8-10% more FPS). Not sure why Reiza choose the other bit, there might be some post shading done as well? Only a Dev can shed light to this. :p

I updated the preset to be easier to install and less power hungry, just in case someone wants to try it out.

6. Retrolux

Damn I was about to give up to get it running with SGSS. But I found the issue that was causing the blur with using reshade! :D:whistle:

The Backbuffer texture must be "point" sampled instead of "linear".

Updated preset will soon be updated and available to download at the same link posted above.

7. Retrolux

Update 0.9.7 is ready to allows SGSS to work with the Shader Preset

8. Marc Collins

Does this mean the normal AMS graphic config-based SGSS now works, or, you have to use SGSS via Inspector?

9. Retrolux

Yes the settings all work, but you need to use the inspector to set the compability bit after. I can prep a reg file tomorrow to make that step way easier. :)

10. Marc Collins

I did it!! No need for anything extra--if it only requires that one tiny change, it should not be a problem for anyone.

Now, how do I get rid of the purple display in the upper right corner? I expect it is with the Reshade Config Menu, but I have no idea what "POS1" is in the "CTRL+POS1." Just to show I am not an idiot, I do know what "END" and "PRINT" are :)

By the way, it looks gorgeous from what I have seen so far!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Retrolux

The Pos1 key its the Home key on US Keyboards. Need to add that to the help file. You can disable the fps counter in the Reshade menu under the Settings tab. I forgot to disable this. You can also disable SSR if you need more peformance, the effect is very subtle but expensive.

12. Marc Collins

Hmmm, when I press CTRL+END or CTRL+HOME I get the same response, which is to toggle the effects on or off. I am not able to bring up a menu of any kind so far?...

EDIT: Tried a different keyboard and CTRL+HOME now works to bring up the menu. But, I do not know how to select or deselect individual items in the checklist? I can manouevre through the other menu tabs, but not the main selection one. ...I see via Reshade tutorials that the mouse is supposed to work for this, so will try that again (was not working). ...Nope, mouse does not work as expected--cannot click on any check boxes or tabs.

Anyway, it looks very compelling. The only thing I have noticed is the default delta timing bar is a bit difficult to read when it is on the green side. All the Reiza HUD items are a bit dark due to their translucent background, but the delta timer is often in front of a sky (at least where I have it right below the virtual mirror).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  13. Retrolux

Ok I updated the preset so that you dont need to enter the reshade menu to use it properly. Added hotkeys for a performance mode and removed the FPS counter :D.

I also adjusted the preset so that the green is a tiny bit brighter. The delta counter should be better to read against the sky now.

Changelog posted on initial post.

14. Marc Collins

Great effort! I hope others are trying this new look, too!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Retrolux

Thanks Marc and that you helped with your feedback. I have now added the preset to racedepartment so that more players can enjoy it.

16. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Could u maybe post the readme file or have a bit more of an explanation about what has been changed ?

17. Retrolux

18. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thx for that! Could you please elaborate on what effects and shaders you did use?

19. Retrolux

Just read the intro and the features list on the link above. Its all there :p

20. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

After installing should I be editing these lines in the INI file to be the path where the shaders & textures get installed on my PC?
    upload_2020-2-9_15-28-7.png