Boxer@VIR - a bit too lose ?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Jan Mikuž, May 24, 2016.

1. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The Boxer seems to have a surprisingly hard time with the uneven surface here at certain sections of the track, bouncing around and rolling heavily, which unsettles the car a lot. Feels ''dangerous'', edgy and too lose, the balance gets upset close to/past the point of recovery too easily, i find.
    Is it the setup or the car still needs some minor fine tuning ?

Compared it to SuperV8, CamaroSS and Metalmoro and those are much more composed.
    They all eat up the bumps much better. Metalmoro even makes it feel like there are no bumps at all. :p

What are your thoughts on that ?

Cheers

2. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

3. Supa

You are right the Boxer has completely different handling. It's supposed to as it's got an Engine at the back!!

4. Paulo Gomes

Paulo Gomes Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You can play a bit with the packers, may help with the bumps, but will effect oversteer/understeer of the car.

5. Bkim

Bkim Member AMS2 Club Member

I also noticed a very loose Boxer at VIR. At Curitiba (also very bumpy) im early on the throttle and the BOXER is stable, while racing VIR i must be extremely cautious because the rear steps out as soon as i even think about the throttle

6. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

VIR has an unbelievable number of crests all over the place. The car as a result gets light several times a lap. This is where weight transfer is perilous because lateral loads with sudden loss of weight means sudden losses of grip. For all the bumps at a place like Curitiba it ain't got nothing on VIR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

not really a fan of this track tbh.. feels like a motox track lol

8. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim Member

It feels like there is way less grip outside the racing line compared to other tracks, at least on the first corner : if you miss the racing line by just a tiny bit , you go into infinite understeer :D

9. Thiago Izequiel

Thiago Izequiel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you guys tried changing the track state?

10. GrimDad

GrimDad Member AMS2 Club Member

IMO, something is wrong with the Boxer's suspension. I'm trying to love the car but feel it isn't right.
    Just touching some curbs sends the car spinning off. Try driving it at Spa, getting up Eau Rouge ;)
    I know it's not an official track but the same happens on those too. The Eau Rouge test just highlights the problem.
    Also the car is bobbing up and down without any reason or FFB feel. After the last update it did feel better though. A few of our members say the damping feels wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not just this track.
    This is supposed to be a noob-friendly gt3 car ? Nope, not even close.
    For me this is the hardest car to race in the game right now.
    It can't handle curbs, it can't handle bumps, body/chassis roll is constant and violent, balance easily unsettled,...it's too edgy right now imo.

I'm quite perplexed by the fact that I can thrash a supposedly difficult car like FVee, Supertrucks, formulas, shifter karts,etc...yet in the end the supposedly noob-friendly Boxer is the one that's giving me the finger. :D
    Surely this shouldn't be the case.
    I don't know...

I find the car a big PITA to race atm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Conor Duffy

Conor Duffy New Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree, the suspension seems far too uncontrolled.
    It feels as if there is little to no rebound dampening. Spring rates, compression and roll all seem like they're ok, or would be at least much more manageable, if the rebound was more controlled.

• Like Like x 2
  13. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

All that critique of the rebound being perhaps correct, I also however wonder if people's assumptions that it should be the ideal noob car are maybe unwarranted.

To me it looks like the ideal car noobs want to be good in.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

To me the car is fine. Does not seem something to be noob friendly anyway

15. GrimDad

16. Wayne Kerr

Wayne Kerr New Member AMS2 Club Member

cup cars were never marketed as a gt3 car or an entry level gt3 car. It's an entry level GT spec series race car that is heavily derived from the street car counterpart. I won't get into the complete parts list, but there are some parts on this current gen AND the prev gen cup car that shares parts with street car variants (notably the gt3rs).

the spring rates are correct; i'm not sure how they modelled the damper curves or whether they have the info from sachs. The bar rates are off when I'm comparing the adjustment in the game vs the info I have from Porsche.

I'll see if I can report back in a couple of weeks with a commentary from someone who's raced these things on the pointy end of the grid on a track that he's raced in with these cars that is also in the game. Problem is finding a lull in both our respective schedules.

• Like Like x 4
  17. GrimDad

Sounds good Wayne thanks for taking time to look. I would be interested to hear/read your findings.

18. Supa

The car feels fine to me and if anything a little too planted but not surprising with that big rear wing. I use a DD wheel though. Used to own a G27.

19. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree that it's far touchier than most other AMS cars regarding kerbs. I'm not complaining about it, for all I know it's a feature!

20. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I put down a lot of laps with the Boxer this morning at Interlogos. With my G27, the default setup is so understeer heavy that I can't even touch race pace with the competitors set at 95%. With significant increases to the rear anti-roll, minor decrease of the front anti-roll bar, and a minor decrease of the rear wing the car grabs corners much better - with a great controllable oversteer out of mid/low speed corners; yet the curbs are very hit or miss. Sometimes I can appropriately use the curbs and sometimes the car just slides right off them, much like there are marbles built up on them. I'm not sure if it is a damper issue, but something does indeed feel a bit off.

• Like Like x 1