1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR FoV

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by justsome1else, Apr 5, 2020.

1. justsome1else

justsome1else New Member

Hi Folks

To those enjoying AMS2 in vr - I have a question..

Have you tried adjusting the cockpit view in the camera options at all?
    The reason I ask is that i've been having the time of my life whizzing round a few tracks in my rift; although I thought something wasn't quite right .. I was having quite a bit of trouble staying on the road tbh :(

Anyhow, since changing the cockpit views fov from it's default of 70 up to 100 (I always assumed that fov in the vr world was kind of set in stone) - I am now driving so much better again..

The helmet camera goes up to 89 in the settings and I'm loving that even more now too!
    (I lose the view of the helmet from 90 onwards though..)

Apologies if you already knew this - I've always tended to be a bit late to the party ;)

2. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

I always assumed the FOV settings only applied to the 2D game. If they also apply to VR this could be good news. I have to test for myself.

3. justsome1else

justsome1else New Member

Yeah, I thought exactly the same GregzVR

:)

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

That's weird. VR Headset as made to represent real 3D world, scale 1:1 knowing your IPD, and real FOV obviously. Never saw a game or app where you can change it...

5. justsome1else

justsome1else New Member

It is strange ..
    Definitely doing it for me though - I'm using a Rift S .. dunno if that has anything to do with it.
    I simply go into the settings, change the fov value - and go back to the car.
    You may have to cycle through your camera views to initiate it

6. Joe Gransinger

Joe Gransinger New Member

I have definitely noticed some weird scale issues in VR. Some cars steering wheels are tiny, far smaller than they would be in real life. I didn't know there was a way to change that in VR so I'm going to check that out in just a little bit and see if that helps.

7. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Firstly; Are you sure the FOV change isn't altering the "World Scale" and not he actual FOV?

Secondly; I've tried this with the HP Reverb but nothing changes (I have cycled views)

8. justsome1else

justsome1else New Member

You could well be right regarding it being "World Scale" MarcG
    I do know that after changing the cockpit camera to 100 - my view seems 'fuller' .. I'm definitely able to navigate the course better.
    As for the helmet camera view - that seems a little wider for me too.
    Try changing your helmet camera view to 90 or above and see if you are still able to see it.
    If I change that value to 90 or over - I simply do not get a view of the crash helmet ..
    (But it works again at 89 & below)

And, I'll be honest - I don't use the rift for much else except AC,RF2 & of course AMS2 - so my knowledge isn't all that great about this stuff.
    Perhaps me changing my cockpit view to 100 just kind of kicked in something within the game or even oculus's software itself in order that I'm now just seeing the game right ??

I really don't know....

A good outcome for me though :)

& Thanks to all who have replied too!

9. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Well the FOV settings made no difference for me in VR.
    PC2 had a World scale slider in the VR settings.

10. justsome1else

justsome1else New Member

It's rather bizarre what happened GregzVR I 'll admit.
    I can't help but feel that maybe I had something setup incorrectly in the first place perhaps?

Something very positive at least happened to AMS2 for me anyway. Maybe my world scale was jolted into life correctly somehow, flicked a switch somewhere or that I'm just going crazy??
    ;)

Feel a bit silly for posting about this tbh; but as I say - at least I'm enjoying the experience on AMS2 more now .. whatever the real reason!

Sorry to have wasted your time with my meandering folks ....

• Like Like x 1
  11. vilivili

vilivili New Member AMS2 Club Member

I was looking for FOV adjustment too. But it seems that FOV on Valve Index cannot be adjusted:(

12. Badgerous

Badgerous New Member

Most cars feel 'correct' to me with default settings on a Rift CV1. The only exception being the StockV8s. - The interior feels cavernous, and the wheel feels oddly large.

IIRC tweaking the world/IPD scale in the graphics settings file to about 0.9 helped, but that just throws out every other car.

Are the real StockV8s simply just large cars? I fully acknowledge it could just be my perception/expectations that are out of whack here.

13. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I would also very much like to be able to modify the FOV a little.
    I feel that in general the FOV is too small.
    On some circuits when I look at the map of the circuit on the screen, I expect a not too tight turn, and in fact when I arrive at the turn, the FOV too small gives the impression of a lot tighter.
    Just as some straight lines seem very short, when in reality they are rather long.
    I would love to have the FOV setting possible.