FOV / seat position

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by CreamyCornCob, Apr 7, 2020.

1. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Am I missing where the FOV is? Or is there one default for now.
    Because the only thing I'm seeing are W-S-A-D for seat and [ ] for viewing angle as far as anything to do with distances.

Which is kinda throwing me off. Hell, all I want is to see 2/3 of the wheel and not have the dash look like its four six feet away :eek:
    Well I was gonna post two pics but I see win-prnt_scr doesn't take multiple shots in ams2. (or F8 in AC/CM with shader shots:D I know, I know)

So alien for me.
    TY

2. Viking_Magnus

Viking_Magnus Member AMS2 Club Member

FOV settings are located in: Options->Camera-> Field of View

AMS2 uses the horizontal FOV calculations, so if you use one of the online calculators, make sure you select the right numbers :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Geeze :rolleyes: I should try reading the tab I already looked at. TY
    So whats the numbers represent than? Inches or MM?
    Wait, I'm in 'Merica and changed them to imperial :D. So I assume those are inches then.

Thanks VM

4. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Can someone give me a hand here :confused:
    I've used both for hFOV:
    Modern FOV Calculator
    Project Immersion

Based on me being 42" away, 27" screen, 16:9 single screen = they both gave 35/36 fov
    (the projectimmersion link, used PC2)
    So I set cockpit (or) helmet to slider in menu to 35.
    Half the side mirror is cutoff, cant see the wheel and what I can see of the rear view mirror, its skewed.

Tried then sliding the seat back to see the wheel or side mirror, and the screen goes black. Go forward a click and can see, but the rear view mirror is massively skewed and still cant see the steering wheel.
    What the heck am I missing here?! The 35 number just happens to be the lowest setting on the slider.

5. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

I'd delete above but cant. That 35 number is bunk. Now I have the right sensation of speed and can see everything needed at 56-60. I dont know how those calculators work to get 35 for my experienc, but that's a hundred miles off. Thought I learned my lesson years ago with these.
    Carry on :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Those calculators do their job good. Perhaps you do not understand the concept of FOV?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

The result those calculators give you is correct. What they do it tell you the setting you need in order for your entire view to be "real"... in other words, not squashed down towards the edges to fit more on the screen, and putting the "camera" right where it should be. This view manipulation is something nearly all games do because otherwise you can't see anything in your peripheral on a single monitor. You rarely notice it, but it's side effects can be more pronounced in things like racing and flying sims.

Imagine it this way... sit in your real car, put a 27" window 50cm in front of your face, and black out everything that falls outside it. That's you view, the equivalent of using the correct FoV on a monitor. No mirrors, no peripheral vision, just a tiny box right in front of you.

So yeah, your options on a single monitor regarding FoV are pretty limited. The value you've settled for is about the same as I used to use, a compromise between visible area and "reality". To get it lower you need either triple screens or VR.

Edit: This demonstrates the idea quite nicely. Notice the vastly reduced peripheral at the lower FoV. That's why you lose your mirrors. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You should try this FOV-calculator -> Field of view calculator · andyf.me
    ... and because of its visual presentation you possibly understand the concept of FOV more.

It's quite normal that you can't see your side mirrors with a horizontal FOV of about 35. It is like driving your car and only looking through a small window. To use higher FOV values (and see more of the cockpit) bring your monitor as close as you can get to your eyes.

As an example: I have a 35inch monitor and i'm just about 68cm away from it. So i can use a horizontal FOV of 60.
    However ... i don't drive on monitors anymore. I'm using VR, where FOV isn't really a problem, because it's just right.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Leadbelly

Leadbelly New Member

I am a real stickler for having the proper fov in every game I play, measure this measure that as I am sure many do. Then I watch guys that know what they are doing such as Jardier and David Perel, and they don't change a thing. Fire up what ever the game, and the default fov is just fine by them.

You would think people such as this, who have or do race in real life would adjust things to perfection, but they don't put any stock in it at all.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  10. Bull Shark

A correct FOV is of course not a must. You have to set it to whatever you like and feel comfortable with.
    But keep in mind that a correct FOV, makes it easier to drive on a racetrack.
    This because your brains are used to this correct FOV. It is much easier to judge the corners, distance etc. :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

I've driven plenty of race cars irl to know that I've found the correct sensation of speed, from 125 shifter karts, 250 superkarts, to OW cars.

I remember playing with those calculators years ago. I've seen the one provided by Ernie, that one says it needs to be 31 degrees. The slider doesn't even go to 31 in AMS and thats 5 degrees smaller in the first two calculators in my post with the same settings:

27" / 16:9 / 42" inches away.
    Yeah, tried the 35, its not even in the same universe. Forgot losing mirrors - the sensation of speed is miles off.
    But an ultra-wide is around the corner. Still, those calculators..... :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bull Shark

That is why I have a triple screen setup. It is just like you’re sitting in a real car.

13. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

But this has a lot to do with peripheral vision in both real life and racing sims. If you do 150mph while looking through a toilet roll tube (as a passenger of course!) your sense of speed is greatly reduced because things directly in front of you don't appear to move all that much. You get the same affect with a low FoV on a single monitor. It's the things whizzing by in our peripheral which gives us the sense of speed, not the actual FoV setting itself. Remove the peripheral and you lose the sense of speed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

I would have never figured :D

15. josemirr93

josemirr93 New Member

Is there an option to stablish the vision of each car and save it? For example, I don't use the same seat position in a F1 car or in a Stock Car, and when I change cars, I have to adjust the view with the WSAD option, and it's very frustrating.

If the option doesn't exist they should think about to implement it. Assetto Corsa had a perfect option for this...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bull Shark

Sadly not atm.

• Like Like x 1
  17. josemirr93

josemirr93 New Member

Thanks! I hope they improve that...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Wayne Hutchison

Wayne Hutchison New Member AMS2 Club Member

The big problem here is that you're 42" away from the screen. If you can move the screen to where it's 24" away (right behind your wheel most likely) the calculator will give you a much bigger FOV number.

19. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Please be mindful that some sims use vertical FOV (AC/ACC) and some use horizontal FOV (iRacing/AMS2) therefore you will need the appropriate calculator.

This one does both.. SimSource

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Bull Shark

That calculator is new for me. Nice one as well.:D

• Like Like x 1