1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Kevko

Kevko New Member

Updated signature with hardware details.

Edit: Signature not showing for some reason, so here they are:
    GPU: RTX2070 Super, CPU: i7-9770k, Wheel: Fanatec CSW, Pedals: Fanatec CSL Elite, VR: Oculus Rift S

• Like Like x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I very much doubt that is anything to do with worldscale. It's more likely the setting IPD_Scale.

Also, for those who don't like the HUD being so close to their face and at a weird slanting angle, it's an easy fix. HUDSettings near the bottom of the file determines the placement and angle of the HUD. It'll take some trial and error and multiple restarts, but you can place it wherever you want. As a starting point, try using the following setting:
    Code:
    <prop name="HUDSettings" offSetX="0.000000" offSetY="0.000000" offSetZ="-0.700000" scale="0.500000" rotateX="0.000000" rotateY="0.000000" rotateZ="0.000000" rotateW="1.000000" />

It put's the HUD around the dashboard level of most cars. Remember to edit the right file based on your headset, oculussettings.xml for Rifts, openvrsettings.xml for SteamVR, and I don't know what starvrsettings.xml is for.

• Useful Useful x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

FYI StarVR headsets :)

Thanks for the tip will try it later.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

[VR] Desktop Monitor Output HUD is HUGE.

Track & Layout Used: All.
    Car Used: All.
    Applicable Settings: Oculus Rift S (possibly other Headsets).
    Report: When using the Oculus Rift S, the HUD on the desktop monitor when in VR is oversized.
    It’s so big that the elements on the bottom left and right are cropped off, whilst the lap delta information is offset to the right.
    The main HUD is set just in front of the steering wheel, but the other elements, such as the pit limiter, flag warnings and pit boards, are set a visible metre out in front of you (in line with the front wing) in VR, on a totally separate plane, and the latter two don’t even show up on the desktop output!
    This is an inherited issue from PC2, as the Rift S was released 7-8 months after all development stopped on PC2. I’m not sure what the situation is for other headsets.
    Whilst it’s not the biggest bug/issue facing the the game right now, I do hope it makes it to the list to get fixed at some point.
    Steps to reproduce: Look at the HUD on your desktop monitor, when playing in VR, with a Rift S(and possibly other headsets).

Identical HUDs, identical scenarios:
    AMS2_HUD_problems.jpg Top image: The desktop monitor HUD in non-VR mode.
    Bottom image: The same desktop monitor HUD whilst in VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Onlyforbrian

Onlyforbrian New Member

I just bought the game and pulling my hair out already. I can start the game without VR fine, and am inside the car behind the wheel, but when I start in Steam VR, I am outside the car and I can't figure out how to get into the car. I tried the different views using the "F" key but none of them put me behind the wheel. I use Odyssey+ WMR. Help please.

6. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you assigned a "reset Vr view" button? It's in assignments somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

the sharpening has better effect on low res HMDs like Rift, Vive or 1.Gen WMR.
    On better HMDs like Rift s , Quest, Index , Reverb etc, it will not be noticable so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

was the same on a normal Rift.

9. Norbert Pfeffer

Norbert Pfeffer New Member

Is there any chance for a virtual keyboard in VR when I save a new setup? :)
    When I save it in a different name, I want to type a name, but in the Headset I can not see the keyboard and take off the HDM is uncomfortable. I know it is a small thing, and you have bigger things to do, but in later, it would be great to implement this.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  10. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

In a lot of the cars when you jump in for the first time your head position is nowhere near the drivers body and you have to manually adjust this. When you play a continuous session the game will remember where you repositioned too. When you close the game down completely and come back to it, the last position you had on the drivers body is not saved and you have to reposition your placement again.

11. Alegunner68

I'm not sure, but I think if you adjust the car set up, it saves then.

12. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

i tried your settings in my oculus xml, the HUD wont appear in the HMD at all now, but it does on the monitor mirror

13. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member AMS2 Club Member

How can I remove the virtual mirror in VR using the full HUD?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alegunner68

We can't yet, hopefully there'll be hud editor soon.

15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

That'll be because it's gone somewhere out of view. I assumed that the settings would be the same regardless of who is using them... they should be, since they appear to be the HUD location in VR space which should be the same regardless of user or headset. But perhaps they're not. Go back to the original settings and then have a play with your own values. I'd suggest starting with the Z value, as that's forwards and back, and set the rotation values to zero to straighten it up.

These values don't affect the monitor version of the HUD. That HUD is simply overlayed on the monitor view, whereas the VR HUD has to "hang" in VR space.

16. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

I reset the file by deleting it so the game made a new one. Ill wait till we can alter it in game or ill go and break it again

17. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just wanted to chime in and say that for me as a Pimax 5K+ user, AMS2 has been one of the easiest games to set up and play, and no game-breaking VR bugs so far. :)

Compared to PC2, which for some reason freezes when trying to loading the track in VR. After a lot of fiddling around with settings in the game and PiTool and SteamVR, I can eventually get the bug in PC2 to disappear somehow. Until the next auto-update of PiTool/SteamVR/Nvidia graphics drivers, etc… when the bug reappears and I need to spend another 20 hours of troubleshooting. I was very worried that the same bug would appear inside AMS2, but so far this has not happened. Very much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

are u sure the ingame resolution is the same in both "modes"? having the text so big kinda reminds me of games having a lower resolution. if its not that, than there must be a setting ****ed up

19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

So I tested yesterday with my Rift CV1 your setting @Goffik and it fixed the weird angle and HUD position in VR for me. It's straight, and I can now see it very well more in front of me. Thanks! :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yes, I'm sure. ;) That's why this kind of thing can only truly be appreciated by actually experiencing it in VR. Then you'll see the the two vertical planes - one in front of the steering wheel, and another ahead of the front wheels in 3D space.

I think everything should be on the one plane, in a 'WYSIWYG' fashion, like you get in RaceRoom, which does the VR HUD perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 1